5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recall of High Pressure Fuel Pump

Someolddude

Reaction score
Scheduled my HP pump replacement with local dealer while bringing it in to get caught up with all it's recalls. (Leased 2020, purchased in September with 13k miles on it.) Dealer indicated pump would take about a week to get and would call me as soon as it's delivered to schedule the work. His advice on the service agreed with the recall in that if the truck drove in then only the pump is replaced. He said when they go, they go, and there's no partial failures.
I tried to get info on what pump Ram was providing as a replacement and after poking around on his workstation a bit, all he could find is that it appeared to be sourced from Delphi...
The service department is pretty user friendly so I'll do my best to try and get a definitive answer on the pumps make/model.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I tried to get info on what pump Ram was providing as a replacement and after poking around on his workstation a bit, all he could find is that it appeared to be sourced from Delphi...
The service department is pretty user friendly so I'll do my best to try and get a definitive answer on the pumps make/model.

I haven't read anything that tells us who is the source of the new pump. I just had my replaced under the recall. If I knew how to remove the soft cover over the HPFP I would look for the identifying plate on the pump. When it is minus some number of degrees outside, I'm not interested in trying to figure it out.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Scheduled my HP pump replacement with local dealer while bringing it in to get caught up with all it's recalls. (Leased 2020, purchased in September with 13k miles on it.) Dealer indicated pump would take about a week to get and would call me as soon as it's delivered to schedule the work. His advice on the service agreed with the recall in that if the truck drove in then only the pump is replaced. He said when they go, they go, and there's no partial failures.

Perhaps they figured out how to put a Denso in the Eco?

HP4 (variants)
1705623538747.png 1705623788147.png 1705623727949.png

HP3 variants
1705623689663.png 1705623868834.png

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't read anything that tells us who is the source of the new pump. I just had my replaced under the recall. If I knew how to remove the soft cover over the HPFP I would look for the identifying plate on the pump. When it is minus some number of degrees outside, I'm not interested in trying to figure it out.
I think it's still a Bosch pump.

Someolddude

Reaction score
Maybe they're sourcing different brands due to the bottleneck in Bosch supply?
...will see.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My youngest son now works at a RAM dealership. Asked him to get some pics the next time they have an eco in for the recall.

FWIW, while he was well trained by Audi, he's not a trained "diesel" tech, but did his first Cummins HPFP recall swap. Got it done in the prescribed 4.5 book hours so pretty good for a first timer. He said one of the diesel techs there can do them (the HD Y78 recall) in under 2 hours.

TSL

Reaction score
Went in to my local dealership to see where they were at with doing the HPFP recall. Turns out they have parts in stock and can schedule me in next week. But, he said they need the truck for 2 days ! Now it's not my daily driver ( that's my trusty old '07 Outback XT turbo ), so not a big deal on that front, but 2 days... dang, what are they going to do, replace the entire fuel system !

n8zcc

Reaction score
Went in to my local dealership to see where they were at with doing the HPFP recall. Turns out they have parts in stock and can schedule me in next week. But, he said they need the truck for 2 days ! Now it's not my daily driver ( that's my trusty old '07 Outback XT turbo ), so not a big deal on that front, but 2 days... dang, what are they going to do, replace the entire fuel system !
It is a scheduling issue with the tech and an available service bay. To replace the pump and inspect to see if more work is required only takes a couple of hours. If they find a reason to have to repace more then they are covered by saying they need the truck for two days.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience: I was told that they had to inspect it and then, based on the results of that inspection, they'd order parts and we could schedule the actual swap. I pushed...hard...and was told that every HPFP had to be tasked against a specific VIN. Sounds like BS.

I went in at 0900 for the HPFP inspection and the Y81 flash. At 1015 I asked for an update. That's when I found out they had already started the swap. The tech (young guy) had the new one in in about an hour and a half. I drove out with a new HPFP about 2 hours after I pulled up to the service bay.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience: I was told that they had to inspect it and then, based on the results of that inspection, they'd order parts and we could schedule the actual swap. I pushed...hard...and was told that every HPFP had to be tasked against a specific VIN. Sounds like BS.

I went in at 0900 for the HPFP inspection and the Y81 flash. At 1015 I asked for an update. That's when I found out they had already started the swap. The tech (young guy) had the new one in in about an hour and a half. I drove out with a new HPFP about 2 hours after I pulled up to the service bay.
There is NO inspection on the recall. Your dealer is full of poop.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
So I suppose that settles it, It's a redesigned CP4 pump. Hope Bosch sorted it out properly. Still waiting on my call from my dealer.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I suppose that settles it, It's a redesigned CP4 pump. Hope Bosch sorted it out properly. Still waiting on my call from my dealer.

Redesigned how?

That's the same old CP4.2 used in a hundred different applications. Still has round pump cups and no cup locating parts.

Was there a part tag posted on any removed pumps?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Redesigned how?

That's the same old CP4.2 used in a hundred different applications. Still has round pump cups and no cup locating parts.

Was there a part tag posted on any removed pumps?
I was under the impression that the wait we've all been experiencing is because they did design some sort of holder in all the newer produced ones to prevent the cups from rotating and destroying their rollers, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the wait we've all been experiencing is because they did design some sort of holder in all the newer produced ones to prevent the cups from rotating and destroying their rollers, perhaps I'm mistaken.

It's got the same model number and part number that particular Bosch 4050 pump has always had so I doubt it was changed.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Removed/recalled pump that was removed yesterday. Looks like some number changes on the sticker, it is still a CP4 pump.

Attachments

• 20240207_111439.jpg
    20240207_111439.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online