5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am considering trying the correct Part number from a donor vehicle. Anyone ever have issues with used mirrors or cameras working from a donor? No re-flashing needed or anything like that?
There's nothing to "reflash". They will work fine.

4breakfree1

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for installing the digital rearview mirror in the RAM.

Part List:
Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68448639AB

Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68448641AB

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68519111AA

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68519222AA

Center high mounted stop lamp with camera - 68551077AB

10' Fakra Z - Female to Female
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2VBYWZ[/TD]

Parts if you have a 2019/2020:
2021+ BCM - 68496414AD
Wiring Harness from Jimmy07

You only need one of the mirrors. Just choose the one that fits your vehicle and if you want to have 2 inputs or not. You only need the 2 inputs if you plan on adding another camera like cargo, trailer, etc. For the 2019/2020 you will need a 2021+ BCM and the wiring harness from Jimmy07. You can get a used one from a junkyard. You can then stash this under the driver's side dash or the front seats.

Installation is fairly simple. Replace the CHMSL with the new one. Run the cable in the headliner from it to the mirror. Replace the mirror with the new one. Connect the mirror, truck and BCM using the wiring harness. Start the truck and enjoy your new mirror.

2019/2020s will lose auto dimming side mirrors.

For 2021+, use AlfaOBD to set the following settings for auto dim size mirrors.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES
If I have a 2022 1500 limited with a digital mirror already, is it possible to swap it for the 2 input digital mirror so I can run another input to a trailer camera?

abmillh

Reaction score
I finally finished the installation of my 2nd camera port. I ran the cable similarly to the way the HD cable is run (thru the headliner and down the c pillar). However, I didn't have space to cut a hole next to my license plate due to the TTPMS module on the backside of the bumper. So, after many iterations, I've gotten a nice design for a 3d printed housing/mount. I printed it out of carbon fiber PLA for the final version and just added some adhesive foam bits to make it a tight fit.

EDIT: I decided I wanted to tuck the mount up even further. I removed 15mm of length so now it doesn't hang as low. See last 2 pics.

Attachments

• 20230810_170806.jpg
    20230810_170806.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230810_170741.jpg
    20230810_170741.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 81
  • 20230810_170420.jpg
    20230810_170420.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230810_165955.jpg
    20230810_165955.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230811_113846.jpg
    20230811_113846.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20230811_114756.jpg
    20230811_114756.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

abmillh

Reaction score
Update: Ran into some problems. Everything started off well while parked but as soon as I started driving, the feed kept cutting out. I believe the 30ft of rg58 w/fakra thru the cab plus the 40ft or so from the trailer camera kit have resulted in too much signal loss. This seems to be confirmed by a few posts on the HD RAM site. I think the easiest resolution would be 40 feet of rg58 with fakra ends but I'm not finding any for sale right now. Anybody else retrofitted the 2nd camera into a 1500 and solved this issue? Full disclosure, I'm in Arizona where it's hot and dry which I've read leads to problems with the original cable.

Edit: I believe the 30ft of rg58 might actually be my issue. A few sources I've found have said that over 25ft of rg58 can be problematic for video signal. As such, I'm looking to try RG6 with fakra adapters to see if that will work.

Last edited:

Burns1200

Reaction score
Update: Ran into some problems. Everything started off well while parked but as soon as I started driving, the feed kept cutting out. I believe the 30ft of rg58 w/fakra thru the cab plus the 40ft or so from the trailer camera kit have resulted in too much signal loss. This seems to be confirmed by a few posts on the HD RAM site. I think the easiest resolution would be 40 feet of rg58 with fakra ends but I'm not finding any for sale right now. Anybody else retrofitted the 2nd camera into a 1500 and solved this issue? Full disclosure, I'm in Arizona where it's hot and dry which I've read leads to problems with the original cable.

Edit: I believe the 30ft of rg58 might actually be my issue. A few sources I've found have said that over 25ft of rg58 can be problematic for video signal. As such, I'm looking to try RG6 with fakra adapters to see if that will work.
Would a 10' cable like stated in the OP not be sufficient enough?

abmillh

Reaction score
Would a 10' cable like stated in the OP not be sufficient enough?
I already had a DRVM but switched to a 2 input. I probably don't need 30 full feet but probably at least 25 since I'm running to the rear bumper as shown above.

Ninjamoose

Reaction score
if someone has the 2 input digital display and are only running one camera, is the other half the standard mirror?

vincentw56

Reaction score
if someone has the 2 input digital display and are only running one camera, is the other half the standard mirror?
It might be if you are in 2 camera mode. If you have only one camera, it will display the full rear view image. It only does split if you switch it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not a split screen at all, it still displays like the single input mirror, and only displays one camera or the other. In the mirror settings, you can choose which camera image is displayed. The default image is the CHMSL camera. When a camera is plugged into the tow mode input, it will automatically default to that camera.

blacksheep37

Reaction score
I finally finished the installation of my 2nd camera port. I ran the cable similarly to the way the HD cable is run (thru the headliner and down the c pillar). However, I didn't have space to cut a hole next to my license plate due to the TTPMS module on the backside of the bumper. So, after many iterations, I've gotten a nice design for a 3d printed housing/mount. I printed it out of carbon fiber PLA for the final version and just added some adhesive foam bits to make it a tight fit.

EDIT: I decided I wanted to tuck the mount up even further. I removed 15mm of length so now it doesn't hang as low. See last 2 pics.
So you have one camera on the CHMSL and the second camera on the back bumper in your 3D printed mount?

abmillh

Reaction score
So you have one camera on the CHMSL and the second camera on the back bumper in your 3D printed mount?
That's correct. I had a factory single input DRVM with the camera in the CHMSL. I ran the cable for the second one and put it in the bumper in the 3d printed mount. It's been on a few road trips with the travel trailer and the mount works perfectly. The camera kit for the trailer, however, is very sensitive to heat I've found out. The hotter it is, the more the camera cuts out.

blacksheep37

Reaction score
That's correct. I had a factory single input DRVM with the camera in the CHMSL. I ran the cable for the second one and put it in the bumper in the 3d printed mount. It's been on a few road trips with the travel trailer and the mount works perfectly. The camera kit for the trailer, however, is very sensitive to heat I've found out. The hotter it is, the more the camera cuts out.
Any chance you'd print another bracket? $$?

I want the digital camera on the truck, but I'm thinking that bracket location might be better so any cargo in the bed doesn't block it.

abmillh

Reaction score
Any chance you'd print another bracket? $$?

I want the digital camera on the truck, but I'm thinking that bracket location might be better so any cargo in the bed doesn't block it.
I printed it out of ASA + CF. I'll take a look in the slicer tomorrow and see how much filament it uses. Can you PM me your zip code and I'll PM you the cost tomorrow?

blacksheep37

Reaction score
If I put a single digital camera in for my trailer, will the mirror work as a normal mirror when I'm not towing?

vincentw56

Reaction score
If I put a single digital camera in for my trailer, will the mirror work as a normal mirror when I'm not towing?
If there is no digital image displayed or it is off, it is a normal mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread