5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xpel film grille photos

HAL9001

Reaction score
I tend to agree that it’s doable with proper prep, ample patience, and attention to detail.

It’s like home improvement...I’m “the best contractor I know” when it comes to quality on my own home, as I’m very detail-oriented and actually care about the result. But it takes at least 2-3x as long for me to complete a project, and it probably costs just as much as hiring a pro once I’ve purchased supplies and corrected any mistakes!
All true, but think about it, learning how to install PPF could save you thousands and provide the means for you to protect all of your vehicles for life, whereas if you had to spend $$$$ on installation for each vehicle, you probably wouldn't have had it done otherwise.

I've saved massive amounts of money over the course of my life being an ardent DIY'er, easily enough to buy several vehicles. And, as you say, I'm the best contractor I know because I'll always do a better job on my own stuff than anyone else would take the time to. Plus, with all the knowledge I've gained over the decades, I can now easily work proficiently on plumbing, automotive, electrical, carpentry, and anything else I put my mind to. Adding PPF installation was just another skill that took relatively very little time to learn.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All true, but think about it, learning how to install PPF could save you thousands and provide the means for you to protect all of your vehicles for life, whereas if you had to spend $$$$ on installation for each vehicle, you probably wouldn't have had it done otherwise.

I've saved massive amounts of money over the course of my life being an ardent DIY'er, easily enough to buy several vehicles. And, as you say, I'm the best contractor I know because I'll always do a better job on my own stuff than anyone else would take the time to. Plus, with all the knowledge I've gained over the decades, I can now easily work proficiently on plumbing, automotive, electrical, carpentry, and anything else I put my mind to. Adding PPF installation was just another skill that took relatively very little time to learn.
Agreed with all of your points. I grew up on a farm, and we were raised to do everything ourselves :)

But here's a slightly different perspective. As my wife and I have advanced in our careers, time has supplanted money as our most precious commodity. We know that this situation is a blessing in many ways, and we don't take it for granted. But it does change the "math" on DIY projects.

For example, I find installing PPF to be incredibly time-consuming, as I have a meticulous attention to detail. So I'm happy to pay a pro for that service while I spend my limited time on tasks that I can perform easily, e.g. lawn care, auto maintenance, light home renovation, etc.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Agreed with all of your points. I grew up on a farm, and we were raised to do everything ourselves :)

But here's a slightly different perspective. As my wife and I have advanced in our careers, time has supplanted money as our most precious commodity. We know that this situation is a blessing in many ways, and we don't take it for granted. But it does change the "math" on DIY projects.

For example, I find installing PPF to be incredibly time-consuming, as I have a meticulous attention to detail. So I'm happy to pay a pro for that service while I spend my limited time on tasks that I can perform easily, e.g. lawn care, auto maintenance, light home renovation, etc.
I'm in the same situation, I'm very close to retirement and have enough money now to pay others to do work for me when I feel my time is more valuable. As you said, this is a blessing, but not everyone is so fortunate. This is why I encourage anyone to try to install PPF themselves if they find the cost of professional installation objectional for any reason.

As a lifetime DIY'er I still can't seem to pay anyone to do things that I can do myself even though I now can afford it. Old habits die hard.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation, I'm very close to retirement and have enough money now to pay others to do work for me when I feel my time is more valuable. As you said, this is a blessing, but not everyone is so fortunate. This is why I encourage anyone to try to install PPF themselves if they find the cost of professional installation objectional for any reason.

As I lifetime DIY'er I still can't seem to pay anyone to do things that I can do myself even though I now can afford it. Old habits die hard.
I agree with you and @speedV. As an engineer, I like to do everything myself because I'll have the peace of mind it was done correctly. I am blessed as well where money has not been an issue for me. I still have quite sometime to retirement though. I have seen way too many people totally screw up the install of PPF. It is not "cheap" material like some had stated if you buy top quality film. In addition, cutting it is half the battle unless you invest heavily in the pre-cut kits. This is one of those projects that I'd rather leave to the professionals. To do the front of my entire truck (minus hood), a tailgate section, quarter panels, headlights and door edge guards my installer buddy spent 5 hours to ensure it was perfect and he charge me $475. My time is far more valuable than $475 for 5 hours plus travel time and, if anything should happen, he warranties his installations for the life of the vehicle.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I agree with you and @speedV. As an engineer, I like to do everything myself because I'll have the peace of mind it was done correctly. I am blessed as well where money has not been an issue for me. I still have quite sometime to retirement though. I have seen way too many people totally screw up the install of PPF. It is not "cheap" material like some had stated if you buy top quality film. In addition, cutting it is half the battle unless you invest heavily in the pre-cut kits. This is one of those projects that I'd rather leave to the professionals. To do the front of my entire truck (minus hood), a tailgate section, quarter panels, headlights and door edge guards my installer buddy spent 5 hours to ensure it was perfect and he charge me $475. My time is far more valuable than $475 for 5 hours plus travel time and, if anything should happen, he warranties his installations for the life of the vehicle.
$475 is an excellent price for the installation of PPF, if that also includes the material. Most such installations easily cost well over $1,000. If I could get PPF installed for only $475, I would surely have it done too, but I was quoted $1,575 for only the hood and front end.

Top-quality film is great but is not really necessary. The 3M PPF bulk product link I provided is still excellent material and will easily last up to 10 years or more. I have some on my 2010 Forester and it still looks new. The ultra-high-quality products such as XPEL are wonderful but are really overkill. If you know how to install PPF yourself, you really don't need to worry about using ultra-high-quality PPF because if any of it fails, which is unlikely, you simply buy some more at a low cost and reinstall it, no big deal.

If you're hell-bent on buying ultra-high-quality PPF you can buy pre-cut XPEL PPF and install it yourself for still a lot less than having it professionally installed. XPEL even provides you with the difficulty rating for each section. Many sections are rated 1 out of 5 for difficulty and many others only 3 out of 5.

Cutting inexpensive bulk PPF is actually quite easy though, you simply either fold it over the lip of a hood or a fender and then trim it where it doesn't show, or cut it to the contour of the body if it can't be folded. It's actually no harder than trimming wallpaper properly. Unless you actually tried it yourself, you really shouldn't be talking yourself out of it. You can give it a try for under $50. If after that you decide it's not for you, then go out and spend the big bucks or forget it entirely. You really have very little to lose giving it a try, yet most people won't even attempt it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
$475 is an excellent price for the installation of PPF, if that also includes the material. Most such installations easily cost well over $1,000. If I could get PPF installed for only $475, I would surely have it done too, but I was quoted $1,575 for only the hood and front end.

Top-quality film is great but is not really necessary. The 3M PPF bulk product link I provided is still excellent material and will easily last up to 10 years or more. I have some on my 2010 Forester and it still looks new. The ultra-high-quality products such as XPEL are wonderful but are really overkill. If you know how to install PPF yourself, you really don't need to worry about using ultra-high-quality PPF because if any of it fails, which is unlikely, you simply buy some more at a low cost and reinstall it, no big deal.

If you're hell-bent on buying ultra-high-quality PPF you can buy pre-cut XPEL PPF and install it yourself for still a lot less than having it professionally installed. XPEL even provides you with the difficulty rating for each section. Many sections are rated 1 out of 5 for difficulty and many others only 3 out of 5.

Cutting inexpensive bulk PPF is actually quite easy though, you simply either fold it over the lip of a hood or a fender and then trim it where it doesn't show, or cut it to the contour of the body if it can't be folded. It's actually no harder than trimming wallpaper properly. Unless you actually tried it yourself, you really shouldn't be talking yourself out of it. You can give it a try for under $50. If after that you decide it's not for you, then go out and spend the big bucks or forget it entirely. You really have very little to lose giving it a try, yet most people won't even attempt it.
I'm with you Hal. My install was for material and labor...my buddy takes great care of me. On my 2019, he did the entire front, hood, mirror caps, door edge guards, door handle cups, A-pillars and the roof forward of the pano. He charged me $750...it's nice to have friends that do this for a living. I used to use 3M, but I like Xpel much better. To me, it has a nicer look to it. I do buy some in bulk rolls to do my door sills (actually did them yesterday) and I did my own door handle cups. I just can't see myself doing the grill and bumper when I can get a price this cheap for top quality material.

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm with you Hal. My install was for material and labor...my buddy takes great care of me. On my 2019, he did the entire front, hood, mirror caps, door edge guards, door handle cups, A-pillars and the roof forward of the pano. He charged me $750...it's nice to have friends that do this for a living. I used to use 3M, but I like Xpel much better. To me, it has a nicer look to it. I do buy some in bulk rolls to do my door sills (actually did them yesterday) and I did my own door handle cups. I just can't see myself doing the grill and bumper when I can get a price this cheap for top quality material.
I agree, I wish I had a friend who could give me those prices. Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread