5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xpel film grille photos

RamRMK

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a prior thread I had the only local company that installs Xpel install the film on the front of my Ram and I have not been happy with the results. The spots that irritate me the most are the couple of dirt spots on the top of the front bumper and lower section of the grille surround where the film is two pieces. I know a bunch of you have this film installed so was hoping you could post photos of your lower grille surround where the two pieces meet as I am going back to the company for the owner to look at it with the installer.
0a2448527438e507bdf51c307c9048cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aodetailnj

Reaction score
I’m not an Xpel installer (we use premium shield), so our cutting software can be different at times, but we’re showing a seam at the lower section of our pattern.

That said, your seam doesn’t line up perfectly. As an installer, I’d be aiming to get that a bit more flush.

Sometimes a custom cut bulked piece is better for grilles and other more intricate areas, but the cost will be far higher.

Attachments

• DB370C45-B83D-4973-B3F9-F26E40B97732.png
    DB370C45-B83D-4973-B3F9-F26E40B97732.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 66

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll get you a picture sometime tomorrow. I’m sure hope I’m not opening a can of worms and finding out mines isn’t lined up to good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PM-Performance

Reaction score
0d1f2387f6a16e92241091b3fd348329.jpg

There u go OP

This looks terrible. It looks like it was cut by hand and badly at that.
Don't you guys pay a pretty big premium for this service? like over $1k? I would be pissed if that is what I got

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good enough for me it’s not a Sema truck and it’s not noticeable unless your staring at it up close trying to point out a defect. Could it be cut cut cleaner... sure but I’ve noticed it until you pointed it out so I’ll continue to let it not bother me

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
This looks terrible. It looks like it was cut by hand and badly at that.
Don't you guys pay a pretty big premium for this service? like over $1k? I would be pissed if that is what I got
That's actually very good and done well. Not sure what you are expecting, but you'll never get perfection. And, as was stated above, you'll never even see it unless you're 6 inches away and staring right at it.

RamRMK

Reaction score
Id be happy with his but mine just pisses me off. I cant seem to find anyone who gives a **** about the work they do anymore even though Im having reputable places do the work. I had a spray in liner put on the truck at another place since its dark up here at 4pm I didnt notice that they still left masking tape on the edges and the next day I open the tailgate and one of the retainers pops out of the bed trim edge with the same yellow tape wrapped around it . They broke a $1 retainer and instead of replacing it they tape wrapped it and hope Id never notice. They also sprayed over a dent in newly packaged boards I gave them and then when I saw it they said sorry didn’t notice it and charged me $50 more to get the new replacement board sprayed. Then this PPF ****show that shops excuse was well it comes as two pieces in the kit so your going to see the seam. Ok but clearly it doesn’t have to look like crap...end rant

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Id be happy with his but mine just pisses me off. I cant seem to find anyone who gives a **** about the work they do anymore even though Im having reputable places do the work. I had a spray in liner put on the truck at another place since its dark up here at 4pm I didnt notice that they still left masking tape on the edges and the next day I open the tailgate and one of the retainers pops out of the bed trim edge with the same yellow tape wrapped around it . They broke a $1 retainer and instead of replacing it they tape wrapped it and hope Id never notice. They also sprayed over a dent in newly packaged boards I gave them and then when I saw it they said sorry didn’t notice it and charged me $50 more to get the new replacement board sprayed. Then this PPF ****show that shops excuse was well it comes as two pieces in the kit so your going to see the seam. Ok but clearly it doesn’t have to look like crap...end rant
You have every right to rant and you are 100% correct. No one seem to give a crap anymore. A "quality" job appears to be a thing of the past...in most cases:(

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be happy with that install either at least they could of lined it up pretty close and it’s more noticeable on your black truck versus my granite.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good enough for me it’s not a Sema truck and it’s not noticeable unless your staring at it up close trying to point out a defect. Could it be cut cleaner... sure but I’ve never noticed it until you pointed it out so I’ll continue to let it not bother me

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Ditto on the every right to rant! I expect quality workmanship when I pay good money for things. I am not the kind of guy that asks people's lowest price. I pay for good work. When I dont get it, I get pissy.

To the dude above that doesn't care and its not a Sema truck. . . . Why did you pay all that money for it if its not important to you how it looks? That is a little hypocritical no? $1000+ to protect your paint, but you dont care if the protector looks better than the paint?
Any good place would die cut this stuff.
Now that I think about it, I should cut kits like this on my vinyl cutter and sell DIY kits. lol. They would look better than that jagged cut for sure.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ditto on the every right to rant! I expect quality workmanship when I pay good money for things. I am not the kind of guy that asks people's lowest price. I pay for good work. When I dont get it, I get pissy.

To the dude above that doesn't care and its not a Sema truck. . . . Why did you pay all that money for it if its not important to you how it looks? That is a little hypocritical no? $1000+ to protect your paint, but you dont care if the protector looks better than the paint?
Any good place would die cut this stuff.
Now that I think about it, I should cut kits like this on my vinyl cutter and sell DIY kits. lol. They would look better than that jagged cut for sure.
I agree on the die cut...all of my Xpel was cut on a plotter using the Xpel software...no excuse to hand cut this expensive material at all.

Venom700

Reaction score

I agree. I’m taking mine to a guy who seems to be a massive perfectionist. He will remove the grille and do ALL of it, not just the traditional Pre-cut areas. I’m going with him based on his obvious compulsions for giving customers the best (and he’s barely more expensive than the other companies in the DC area).

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simple.. Rockchips now granted if it didn’t line up and was noticeable like OP I wouldn’t be happy when your covering that much painted front end and this is what you point out at a flaw I questioned how ocd you are. It’s easy to notice when your looking at a rather up close picture granted if you seen it in person unless you were looking for something to point out 9/10 people wouldn’t notice the rough cut in that area, it wasn’t a issue for me so I didn’t ask if it was laser cut or not I was and I’m still am 100% happy with the guys work. This isn’t my first go around with ppf I had a few cars done and except one I was always satisfied. If you guys have had ppf installed please post pictures I would love to compare. I want it to look good which is does to me and offer the protection from a chipped front end. Nothing worse then driving a nice vehicle and the front is destroyed from rockchips.

Last edited:

PM-Performance

Reaction score
This post makes me realize I am going to do DIY PpF on mine.
So if it is subpar, it’s MY fault and I didn’t spend $1-2k for someone that actually knows what they are doing to half *** it

Users who are viewing this thread