5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow. Looks like FCA may be a korean company.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the 5.7 Non E-torque being dropped after 2019 now that pretty much everyone is getting on the Stop/Start bandwagon? For those of us that just can't seem to embrace Stop/Start is there a chance FCA will keep this motor without the E-torque?
I'm guessing this will depend greatly on the success of the eTorque version (i.e. does it live up to fuel economy expectations, is it a trouble-free system, does it operate smoothly, etc.).

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the 5.7 Non E-torque being dropped after 2019 now that pretty much everyone is getting on the Stop/Start bandwagon? For those of us that just can't seem to embrace Stop/Start is there a chance FCA will keep this motor without the E-torque?

Im not sold on it yet. i drive 35,000 kms a year. 12 years ago i bought a gmc canyon inline 5. the head gasket went at 75,000 kms. so much for fuel savings. ($4000.00 bill). reliability trumps EVERYTHING. sorry for the caps- but needs to be stated.

Kramersp

Reaction score
"We also reached out to FCA about the rumored merger, but it declined to comment." Just like they decline to comment on when the hell my truck is going to be built. Lol. This takeover could go either way. I take the Hyundai PR guys statement with a grain of salt.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
"Perhaps most advantageous of all, for FCA at least, is that it has no electric vehicle strategy. That could mean disaster for Fiat Chrysler in the coming decade. EV support from Hyundai, however, would steer FCA clear of that iceberg. "

That is a ridiculously incorrect statement...

Pacifica Hybrid is the first of many vehicles FCA will be producing with Hybrid tech. E-Torque is hybrid technology. Chrysler Portal will be an EV, and E-Torque will continue to find its way into more FCA vehicles.

Very true, the 5 year plan is also full of electrification/hybridization. In reading the original article it's also not that FCA is looking for a tie up, they're basically saying that Hyundai would be planning a hostile takeover by buying enough FCA stock (if it went low enough) and who knows how true that even is.

I have been told that Sergio doesn't want a tie up, what he would like to do is work with a company to invest in new platforms/powertrains together. Not uncommon and not a bad idea. Think like Diamond Star Motors, the Mitsubishi and Chrysler joint venture that produced the original Eclipse and Plymouth Laser etc.

D

Deleted member 85

I think that E-Torque will be standard on Big Horn+ trim levels, with only the Tradesman having non-E-Torque Hemi's standard. Similar to how the ZF8 Speed becomes standard equipment with the Hemi on SLT+ trimmed DS Rams.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that E-Torque will be standard on Big Horn+ trim levels, with only the Tradesman having non-E-Torque Hemi's standard. Similar to how the ZF8 Speed becomes standard equipment with the Hemi on SLT+ trimmed DS Rams.

I could see that - it will really help with CAFE numbers as well! Sounds like a good setup, but not going to lie...I'm glad I just got a Hemi and am not going to help work out first year bugs!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I agree that I could definitely see this becoming a possibility and lets not forget the upcoming turbo inline 6 will most likely find it's place under the hood of the Ram as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This merger would have been ok with us.

We bought the Kia cause we like 3 pedals and a manual gear selector.

Dodge nor Ram offered that for us.

2018-07-03 13.12.39.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread