5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you consider 2019 rams being made this year as first year builds?

irontaylor08

Reaction score
Im sure I'm not the only one that's been told "wait until the second year of a new re-model so they can work the bugs out" and was wondering what peoples opinions are on the trucks built in 2019 compared to the 2019 models build early 2018. Im looking at ordering a new Ram sometime this year but trying to decide on a 2019 or just wait for a 2020 model. Thanks for the help.

HenryR

Reaction score
Technically it's close to yr 2, because the 2019 was released early.

Also it's the same drive train, which is tried and true.

DonC

Reaction score
I ordered my Ram 1500 in April 2018 and took delivery in early June. I have 9,800 miles on it with no problems, it's a great truck.

79 300

Reaction score
If it is a 2019 it is still the first model year in my opinion, but ones being built now are no longer an early build. I am sure changes and improvements have been made over the past 8 or 9 months. I really don't expect the 2020's to look any different though, which is good for those of us with the 2019's. Back in the 50's and 60's, a car would look dated after a year.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I read on this forum and checked it out that they made a change on those built after Jully 2018 which the IIHS points out was used for their safety results that they post. From what I read, they reinforced the cab mounts to strengthen the vehicle frame at the (C) pillars to improve the frontal overlap occupant protection. I may not have this exactly correct so someone could help me where I am wrong on this.

Maconi

Reaction score
I'd consider the 2019 a "first-year" vehicle myself. After all the various issues I've seen posted on these forums I'm holding out for the 2020 and hoping FCA has worked out most of the bugs by then. I'm in no rush and still think the Ram 1500 has the best truck interior so I'll wait and see how things progress.

Creep0321

Reaction score
Any insight as to wether the plant shutdown/retooling has improved builds?

RAMRhode

Reaction score
I would consider the early 2019’s to be a Beta run and this current production to be Full production. 2018 production builds have had several recalls so I think those have been addressed in 2019 run. Also, the employees had 3 weeks of recouperation after trying to fill their huge backlog. Part supplies such as RamBox was limited then excluded. Etc. I believe they were building 2018 and 2019 models concurrently.
To be fair, I am sure most buyers are very satisfied with their RAM and have no issues. Seriously, it’s TRUCK OF THE YEAR!...and based on 2018 runs.
However, now that the factory is dedicated to 2019 build, discovered bugs corrected and the employees are rested, it seems to me that these initial builds will prove trouble free for most. At least that is my rose colored look on it....And don’t any of you try to change the color of my sky! ;)

Last edited:

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I'd consider the 2019 a "first-year" vehicle myself. After all the various issues I've seen posted on these forums I'm holding out for the 2020 and hoping FCA has worked out most of the bugs by then. I'm in no rush and still think the Ram 1500 has the best truck interior so I'll wait and see how things progress.
Your always going to read about problems some have on any forum. I previously had a Ford and that forum was flooded with complaints. Not so many post to say my truck has no problems. With that said my truck so far has had no problems. I also bought an early build 2018 Jeep JLU, what a great improvement over the JK. I would think the percentage of vehicles with problems compared to how many were built is pretty low.

gliderpilot

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 that was built on 11/21/18.

I am super happy with it not 1 single thing to complain about!

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Truck I'm highly considering purchasing has a December 5th build date. Hopefully don't think it'll have an issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread