5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With the launch of the 2019 All-New Ram 1500 in full swing, one question still remains - what's this

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Editors note: Welcome to our first installment of Views from the front lines. In this series we will be looking at the 2019 Ram 1500 from a dealership management perspective. Note that these views do not necessarily reflect the views of 5thGenRams.com

With the launch of the 2019 All-New Ram 1500 in full swing, one question still remains - what's this thing going to cost?

Currently a Ram 1500 DS (2018 Model Year) ranges from $27,000 MSRP to $56,795 MSRP USD with rebates readily available throughout the model year to strengthen the "deal" one may get. DS, the current generation of Ram 1500, also provides a dealer with a decent profit margin to further supply a good deal to their clients; from my own experience, $2,000-$6,000 depending on trim and options. So far, FCA has kept their lips sealed with regards to pricing, with an announcement arriving March 16th according to sources not within FCA.

In the spirit of speculation - let's try to deduce what we can expect for the new Ram 1500's price point.

What We Know -

In 2019 the DT will only be offered in Big Horn, Rebel, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, and Laramie Limited trim configurations (and Sport for Canada); leaving the entry level trims to the past-generation DS model Ram 1500 to continue production into the 2019 Model Year. One can expect the 2019 DS Ram to continue at the MSRP currently listed, with stronger rebates to help clear the lot toward the end of the model year. Where the DS is currently priced provides some indication of pricing, however, FCA's new Wrangler gives great insight into their pricing strategy.

This year, the all-new Jeep Wrangler (JL) was launched and pricing has already been announced. Using the price increase applied from the out-going Jeep Wrangler JK model to the all-new Jeep Wrangler JL we should be able to get a pretty good indication of the increase to expect.

Last-Gen JK Jeep Wrangler - Starting at $25,095 USD after destination, up-to $53,685 USD after destination for the top trim level with all options applied .

All-New JL Jeep Wrangler - Starting at $28,190 USD after destination, up-to $56,365 USD after destination for the top trim level with all options applied.

$3,000 USD - give or take, in price difference between the generations.

This does not tell all of the story, as Jeep Wrangler rarely provides a substantial rebate from FCA, unlike the Ram 1500 (and the entirety of the half-ton segment in North America) which typically dons a 4 digit discount throughout the model year, sometimes even surpassing the $10,000 range. The all-new Jeep Wrangler also provides a healthy profit margin for dealers, more than the prior generation had.

What We Think -

Using the above thought-process, one can assume a price increase of at least $3,000 from MSRP. "From MSRP" is the key, however, as it is unlikely FCA will be providing any significant rebates on the all-new Ram 1500. Utilizing current regional rebates in my parts of $7,750 CAD off MSRP, coupled with the assumed $3,000 price increase, I foresee the all-new Ram being about $10,000 USD more than the out-going generation after all rebates are applied.

MSRP will be similar, discounts will not... at least not until the DS Ram is officially put to rest.

Rob P.

Editors note: I hope that you have enjoyed this insightful article. Make sure you stay tuned to 5thGenRams for the latest Ram news and information

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Enjoyed first installment of Views from the Front Lines. The team here is doing a wonderful job with all articles I have read and the forums are easy to use and interesting stats and ease of use is appreciated.

Exciting times and you guys have it covered.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting input. We will have to see how it all pans out - I will say that RAM will have to throw considerable rebates at the new truck in order to win customers from Ford/GM. The DS equipped as I like is a few thousand more than my current F150 and while it adds leather and auto climate control, it's missing BLIS and the full panoramic moonroof. The DT takes care of those shortcomings, but I don't think they can afford to price it as high as Ford does.

I can't see myself switching to RAM for the same price as an F150...

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
Interesting input. We will have to see how it all pans out - I will say that RAM will have to throw considerable rebates at the new truck in order to win customers from Ford/GM. The DS equipped as I like is a few thousand more than my current F150 and while it adds leather and auto climate control, it's missing BLIS and the full panoramic moonroof. The DT takes care of those shortcomings, but I don't think they can afford to price it as high as Ford does.

I can't see myself switching to RAM for the same price as an F150...
I agree, plus there is a brand new very competitive Silverado that will also be competing for buyers. If Ram gets greedy they could regret it.

bravo1

Reaction score
I would thinking that Ram will priced right next to Ford F-150.If the final EPA numbers come out in favor of Ram DT 5.7L etorque or the 5.7L mated with this second generation ZF 8 speed transmisssion against Ford F150 3.5L TT,10 Speed this could be a deal maker for alot of GM or Ford owner who drive alot every day to switch to the new Ram 1500.I see it happening every day at Ram dealers,the redesigned 2015 Ford has been showing up on lots at Ram dealer's on trade-in.The current gen 2017 Ford F-150 is just 2 combined MPG better than the out going Ram 1500 5.7L,they both get the same highway mpg. Currently loaded Ram DS 2017 Ram Limited editions are around 1500-1800 dallors cheaper than the 2017 Ford's F-150 Platnuim in our zip code. You can not compare the 2018 models as during the 2018 MY there will be different pricing structures in place as each quarter goes by,like no charge for a 5.7L V8,or a Big Horn package,plus dealers all do different mark downs in there zip codes to move inventory.So if let's say a Ford dealer's in a certain Zcode's are over stock and have run out of room then they increase there portion of a discount matched with the factory incentiive..With the market share increase that Ram has experience over the last 10 years,and out selling the Silverado during certain times of the year I see no need on pricinig of the next generation 2019 Ram 1500 truck.FCA is quite pleased with their 2017 sales of Ram 1500.With the addition of the SHAP Ram assembly lines they now have the ablitiy to push out over 500,000 units a year.Believe me GM,Ford,RAM are not going to let a competitive edge exsist between them and a competitor across the street

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drive 30,000 miles a year and have been very happy with my F150. Resale is a big concern as I turn them every 2-3 years.... Ford hasn't let me down yet.

I've slowly started to run numbers on the DS Rams and it's almost a wash....you pay less up front but get less when you trade.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(see attachment)

(see attachment)

Attachments

• 7b22d0db79fc1671f7a50089bac116ef.jpg
    7b22d0db79fc1671f7a50089bac116ef.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 05ec0d32c896e51352217228c0c7ca39.jpg
    05ec0d32c896e51352217228c0c7ca39.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 56

khoward2001

Reaction score
Is that from a dealership.... man, I’m so glad I ordered that color. Can’t wait till my Laramie gets here!

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That looks like Quality Control....you know nobody around
icon_lol.gif

D

Deleted member103

khoward2001 said:
Is that from a dealership.... man, I’m so glad I ordered that color. Can’t wait till my Laramie gets here!
That's just "plain ole' Billet Silver, in Bright Indoor Lighting; no ? Any color is gonna "Shine On" and look great in those conditions, and outside in cloudy night sky and sun - will change hues all the time . . . but . . . if YOU like B. S. (no pun intended), I truly wish you well served by it >
263a.png

1f44d.png

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
I drive 30,000 miles a year and have been very happy with my F150. Resale is a big concern as I turn them every 2-3 years.... Ford hasn't let me down yet.

I've slowly started to run numbers on the DS Rams and it's almost a wash....you pay less up front but get less when you trade.
And yet HERE you are, at the DT 1500 site !? Personally I've NEVER concerned myself with resale or trade in value when making my vehicle buys - no particular reason for or against that; I just don't - maybe because I tend to make well thought out buying decisions and thus keep them longer than the "average-Joe" / 6+ years ! My last RAM (2003) I had for 13 and Not a single issue other than the 1 recall mentioned a couple times here before today .

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
And yet HERE you are, at the DT 1500 site !? Personally I've NEVER concerned myself with resale or trade in value when making my vehicle buys - no particular reason for or against that; I just don't - maybe because I tend to make well thought out buying decisions and thus keep them longer than the "average-Joe" / 6+ years ! My last RAM (2003) I had for 13 and Not a single issue other than the 1 recall mentioned a couple times here before today .
Yes, I am. Would you trade in a truck for essentially the same thing? Went from a '14 F150 to the '16, new body style. '18 and '19 F150 is exactly what I have now on the interior. Driving 30k miles a year means I don't keep it for 13 years. I typically trade out every 2 to 3 years and haven't been upside down yet - it helps when you buy new at 25% off MSRP. I've had a few Durangos and a Ram 2500 with no major issues as well. Sometimes change is good.

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
Yes, I am. Would you trade in a truck for essentially the same thing? Went from a '14 F150 to the '16, new body style. '18 and '19 F150 is exactly what I have now on the interior. Driving 30k miles a year means I don't keep it for 13 years. I typically trade out every 2 to 3 years and haven't been upside down yet - it helps when you buy new at 25% off MSRP. I've had a few Durangos and a Ram 2500 with no major issues as well. Sometimes change is good.
Well, you said it yourself -- It certainly is a bonus when your both "the dealer" and "the card sharp" - if you catch my "grift" ! It certainly WOULD help if we all had that INSIDER 25% off -- But THEN where would YOU be ? Out on the unemployment "pay roles" I suspect !?
Being a ford guy I still am not understanding your "input" on this thread - no disrespect intended or implied . Just help me & perhaps all of us listening as to your insight - I'm sensing just a slight bit of RAM bashing about cost vs ford . . . ? Remember YOU have an overly gross 25% advantage apparently at ford . Do you share the same advantage at FCA US because the "Owners" own these & perhaps even other Manufacturers Makes & Models ? You've apparently done very well for yourself, my congratulations .
1f610.png
ps edit; you keep saying DS . . . is that a typo or ARE you actually hashing all this out over the previous generation ? 2019's are DT, but you know that, right !?
ps2 edit; Under the section titles 'OTHER STUFF' is a thread titled 'THE COMPETITION' - just suggesting that is where you may find an ear for sharing a commonality !

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
Well, you said it yourself -- It certainly is a bonus when your both "the dealer" and "the card sharp" - if you catch my "grift" ! It certainly WOULD help if we all had that INSIDER 25% off -- But THEN where would YOU be ? Out on the unemployment "pay roles" I suspect !?
Being a ford guy I still am not understanding your "input" on this thread - no disrespect intended or implied . Just help me & perhaps all of us listening as to your insight - I'm sensing just a slight bit of RAM bashing about cost vs ford . . . ? Remember YOU have an overly gross 25% advantage apparently at ford . Do you share the same advantage at FCA US because the "Owners" own these & perhaps even other Manufacturers Makes & Models ? You've apparently done very well for yourself, my congratulations .
1f610.png
ps edit; you keep saying DS . . . is that a typo or ARE you actually hashing all this out over the previous generation ? 2019's are DT, but you know that, right !?
ps2 edit; Under the section titles 'OTHER STUFF' is a thread titled 'THE COMPETITION' - just suggesting that is where you may find an ear for sharing a commonality !
I'm a bit confused as to what your beef is. I simply stated FCA will need to have rebates on the hoods of these if they want to continue to move the product as they have with the DS. I'm not a dealer, an insider or in the auto industry. I simply know how to negotiate and play my cards right in regards to rebate timing. Ford offers considerable rebates on the XLT trim level and not the Lariat - so an XLT is what I have. I'm sure Ram does the same thing, I've just never bought a new Ram - although I was able to get employee pricing until a few years ago, new wasn't in the cards for me then. Since my first post on this thread was February 27th (before DT pricing was announced) it was a very valid post. Seeing is how pricing has been released, they priced it very well.

But, I'm not sure where your confusion is. I stated something about RESALE. Resale figures aren't known on the DT. So yes - I was discussing the DS. DS has not shown great resale numbers however, I hope the DT does well as you may very well find one in my driveway later this year, provided FCA deals on these, which I'm sure they will. They stand a GREAT chance to knock the Silverado out of the #2 sales spot!

Not sure how I'm a Ford guy...I've had 4 Fords and 4 Chrysler Corp products (family retired from Chrysler Corp) as well as a few GMs over the years. None of my posts above I'd consider a bash - if you see what I wrote you'll see where I said the lower resale on the DS is a wash due to the lower up front cost...not a bash at all...

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
1f610.png
Firecadet isn't doing anything wrong. He's researching and looking at options. Most people have owned other vehicles before owning a Ram, I personally had an F150 before I bought my truck and when I was shopping for a new one I compared the Ram and F150 as well and did my research on it. I don't see him bashing the Rams anywhere.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Jared. Now back on topic - FCA needs to get this to dealers quick! Most dealers in Indy are running very thin on DS - although some have a major influx of the 2018 EcoDiesels in transit right now. Kind of a catch 22...wait to drive a DT and any DS I was considering will be long gone!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
firecadet613 said:
Thanks Jared. Now back on topic - FCA needs to get this to dealers quick! Most dealers in Indy are running very thin on DS - although some have a major influx of the 2018 EcoDiesels in transit right now. Kind of a catch 22...wait to drive a DT and any DS I was considering will be long gone!
They are in transit so I imagine they should be showing up anytime now.

D

Deleted member103

firecadet613 said:
Yes thank you BOTH for the needed Clarification as to where F1 was coming from . F1 -and anyone else - if you "new me" you would know that I am the least "beefy" person . . . in fact you could say I am the most "Vegetarian" person I know !
263a.png
. So, though I do realize words without voices, CAN be easily misinterpreted - I must be guilty, because of the response, and as I said earlier I DO Apologize to you F1 . But in rereading your post that had me puzzled . . . it still puzzles me as far as intent, BUT your new, shall we say "rebuttal," has clarified what you were trying to say at 1st - so thanks and good shopping .

Users who are viewing this thread