5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiress charging pod

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
The OEM wireless charger outright sucks. I wouldn’t recommend adding it unless someone is giving you the parts and installing it for free. The only time I find it useful is on a road trip when I can leave my phone on the charger for hours because that’s how long it takes to charge.
The sad thing is it is really hard to get because Ram makes so that you have to go way up the trim line to get it.

To get the Wireless Charger you need at least a Laramie and the following:

Laramie: Level 2 package
Rebel: Level 1 package + Comfort and Convenience group
Longhorn: Level 1 package
Limited: Standard
TRX: Level 2 package.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The sad thing is it is really hard to get because Ram makes so that you have to go way up the trim line to get it.

To get the Wireless Charger you need at least a Laramie and the following:

Laramie: Level 2 package
Rebel: Level 1 package + Comfort and Convenience group
Longhorn: Level 1 package
Limited: Standard
TRX: Level 2 package.
Or you have it added after. Dealerships will do that.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have tried every stick pad I can find and I cannot get that to stay on there. That holder has an uneven pattern that won’t hold anything on there. I have tried 3M stick pads, Velcro pads, and even rubber bands and no success.
Strange. Mine held tight for over a year on my '20 and then I peeled it off and stuck it in the same place on my '22. Just plain old clear double-side tape from the hardware store.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I run my wireless Android Auto while the phone sits in the Ram wireless charger and it keeps it at 100% no issues. Phone is a Galaxy S21 if that makes any difference.
I have a S22 and it was the same with my S20. Yes, if it is near a 100%, maybe it will. But if let's say it is at 50%, it'd take hours to get there. Plus, it over heats way before that and starts flashing red.

smashweights

Reaction score
Download Ampere on your Android and see your charge rate. Chargers vary in their rate based on the phone. My old Pixel 3 would only charge at like 3W but my Pixel 7 gets the full 10W rate from the RamCharger.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Download Ampere on your Android and see your charge rate. Chargers vary in their rate based on the phone. My old Pixel 3 would only charge at like 3W but my Pixel 7 gets the full 10W rate from the RamCharger.
Good idea. I'll give it a go and see.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

That might be why a lot of people complain about the RamCharger. The RamCharger is capable of 15w, but if you have a phone with lower wireless charging capability, it will charge at that rate. My Galaxy S21 charges at the 15w rate.

vincentw56

Reaction score
That might be why a lot of people complain about the RamCharger. The RamCharger is capable of 15w, but if you have a phone with lower wireless charging capability, it will charge at that rate. My Galaxy S21 charges at the 15w rate.
My S22 Ultra is capable of 45w. So, she can take all the Ramcharger can give and then some. Most likely my phone is just too much for it.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My S22 Ultra is capable of 45w. So, she can take all the Ramcharger can give and then some. Most likely my phone is just too much for it.
The S22 Ultra has 15w wireless and 45w wired charging capacity.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The S22 Ultra has 15w wireless and 45w wired charging capacity.
Lol, you are right. Anyway, the fact still remains the Ramcharger is horrible and can barely charge a phone. Now, let me put it this way, take a long road trip, many hours, using your phone for wireless Android Auto, playing music and using Waze and see how it works. I guarantee it won't and your phone will lose charge and overheat several times. Basically, I wasted 250 dollars and an hour of time installing a POS that clearly wasn't designed well. And I'm not alone. It seems there are more people who have issues with it than people who don't. If I plug the phone in to the media hub, it charges just fine. And those are slow chargers. I've even removed my case just to see if it made a difference and it doesn't. I'm glad it works for you, but it doesn't for most people and that's why I would never recommend it.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lol, you are right. Anyway, the fact still remains the Ramcharger is horrible and can barely charge a phone. Now, let me put it this way, take a long road trip, many hours, using your phone for wireless Android Auto, playing music and using Waze and see how it works. I guarantee it won't and your phone will lose charge and overheat several times. Basically, I wasted 250 dollars and an hour of time installing a POS that clearly wasn't designed well. And I'm not alone. It seems there are more people who have issues with it than people who don't. If I plug the phone in to the media hub, it charges just fine. And those are slow chargers. I've even removed my case just to see if it made a difference and it doesn't. I'm glad it works for you, but it doesn't for most people and that's why I would never recommend it.

I don't go on long road trips, use Android Auto or Waze. 🤣 I realize wireless charging has limitations, so I don't try to make it do something it can't.

smashweights

Reaction score
It's certainly not horrible. Mine charges my Pixel 7 at about 1% per minute while I drive at 5v x 2000mA = 10W. Which I'm quite happy with. All I can find says it's 10W max.

Getting mad at the charger cause your phone overheats when running video over WiFi, GPS, and cell data streaming isn't the chargers fault. The USB-C ports charge at 2.5A aka 12.5W, which isn't crazy fast by today's new standards but close to Quick Charge 2.0 speeds so hardly slow chargers.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Course Motorsports magnetic mount and a USB C cord. Works great. ;)

vincentw56

Reaction score
It's certainly not horrible. Mine charges my Pixel 7 at about 1% per minute while I drive at 5v x 2000mA = 10W. Which I'm quite happy with. All I can find says it's 10W max.

Getting mad at the charger cause your phone overheats when running video over WiFi, GPS, and cell data streaming isn't the chargers fault. The USB-C ports charge at 2.5A aka 12.5W, which isn't crazy fast by today's new standards but close to Quick Charge 2.0 speeds so hardly slow chargers.
My phone doesn't over heat. The charger does. You are right though, I shouldn't expect a $250 charger to do what it is supposed to do. I've had cheaper wireless chargers that worked no problem while my phone did the exact same stuff. They kept the phone charged and never overheated. Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

smashweights

Reaction score
My phone doesn't over heat. The charger does. You are right though, I shouldn't expect a $250 charger to do what it is supposed to do. I've had cheaper wireless chargers that worked no problem while my phone did the exact same stuff. They kept the phone charged and never overheated. Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
Well I take it all back. Went on a trip and left my Pixel 7 in the wireless charger. It would be blue for about 30 mins then go red and won't charge anymore. Quite hot. Only streaming Spotify with the screen off. Wasn't an issue on shorter trips or with my old Pixel 3 on long trips that charges slower at 5W instead of 10W. I suspect it's the higher charge rate on the newer phones. I wonder if you can reduce the charge rate on your phone?

See if this fixes the overheating

Last edited:

m.hamner

Reaction score
wonder what would happen if I took the MagSafe case off my iPhone to let it charge? I jumped on this thread as my iPhone 12 Pro Max "charges" on the mat, but actually loses percentage through the trip. kinda embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/