5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Phone Charger Install

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use AlfaOBD to make changes. There is a line in there which says "CBC Feature - Fog lamp dropout enable". Change it's setting from yes to no.
Do you know how this AlfaOBD compares to a Tazer?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Tazer is VERY limited and is not a replacement for the Alfa. The Alfa is "THE" tool you need to make most any changes to your truck.
Thanks for the info on the Alfa. I will have to look it up. I had a Tazer on my jeep and it was the go to thing for the jeep crowd.

piper618

Reaction score
I am a little confused as pin 45 which has orange purple striped wire same color as wireless charger. PIN number 9 is also discussed with pink or red wire.
Am I missing something as the directions with wireless charger states the orange purple wire goes into pin 45

Cesar592

Reaction score
connect my charger to pin 45 but there is nothing any idea that I am missing

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
connect my charger to pin 45 but there is nothing any idea that I am missing
Did you have a wire already at the other side of pin 45?
If not, you need to reprogram the BCM to allow this feature.

Brianboyer82

Reaction score
How did you reprogram the fog lights to not drop off? Is there some sort of programmer available?
I use a program on my iphone called obd jscan. From what i can tell i can change anything i want to on the truck.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I installed the Mopar Wireless Phone Charging Pad in my Big Horn yesterday. I didn't take pictures since the Mopar Install doc (link below) has very good diagrams, and the tricky parts under the dash would have been almost impossible to photograph.

First, let me say that this install is not trivial and not fully "plug and play". You will be disassembling and unplugging a good deal of the dashboard face and console front. The Mopar doc says you "might" have to do soldered wire joins if connectors are already in use, and in my case, I had to solder both connections (and I don't have very many electronic options, so you will likely have to as well). This means you need decent soldering skills and the agility to work in very confined spaces up under the dash with a hot iron.

But, if I can do it, you can too.

Here are my additional "cheat" notes to let you know the things that Mopar left out. They are keyed to the Mopar diagrams linked above.

1 - You "can" position the seat so you can access the two console bolts for later removal, but if you do that, you need to be the size of a Kentucky Derby jockey to get up under the dash to make the electrical connections. I did what the instructions said and it stunk. Better to chose one of the following:
a - Pop off the little plastic cover and remove both drivers side console 10mm bolts (as shown in Step 10), then move the seat all the way back before disconnecting the battery.
b - Take the seat out entirely. Move the seat to the middle position, disconnect the battery, unlatch and disconnect the yellow connector under the seat, then remove four E-Torx 10mm bolts holding the seat.

2 - That's a 10mm bolt on the battery connection.

4 - Diagram shows a Torx, but mine were combination 7mm hex and Phillips.

5 - First, put a towel down on the console. Use a plastic pry tool and start near where the diagram shows. Once you get you fingers underneath, work around the edges, trying to pull straight out. Lean control panel on the towel so you don't scratch anything.

6 - There are way more connectors than shown. Note that the radio ones are similar sizes, but color coded. They all are locking connectors, so you have to find the latch, pinch, then pull out.

7 - Try to pull straight out. This was the only panel where I tore two of the loops holding the orange retaining clips. Clips fell inside the dash and I had to fish them out. They still work fine.

10 - 13 - 10mm hex bolts. The console slides back rather easily after all six bolts are out.

14 - More of the combination 7mm hex and Phillips. The back ones are on the support for the CD player.

18 - 20 - All locking connectors on the console. Sometimes the latch is not obvious, but it is there.

23 - My replacement panel already had the inserts. I took mine out, so if you loose yours, I have some spares.

24 - The clips on the backside are obscured by the panel. I used an old fashioned paint can opener with the little hook to reach in and depress the latch.

28 - The screws supplied in the kit were T20 torx.

30 - Screws are 7mm hex.

31 - All three connectors are locking. I used the plastic pry tool to depress the latch on the light. Mopar doesn't mention the freaking hood latch is on that panel. I couldn't get it loose, so I left it attached and slid the panel up under the pedals.

32 - The BCM is mounted behind the kick panel. Fortunately, the C5 connector is fairly easy to access.

33 - The "swing latch" on these large connectors has a little latch on the plastic hood covering the wires. You need to press down on the hood to release the latch.

NOTE - Before Step 34 - You are about to make wire connections in two different junction boxes. My new charger harness was wrapped in tape too far down, so that there was not enough exposed wire to make "unstressed" connections. Do yourself a favor and trim the black wrapping tape back 3 to 4 inches (leaving about 8 inches of exposed wire) before you make the connections.

34 - My pin 45 was already filled. I used a mini screwdriver to release the tiny latch on the connector pin and pull it out of the connector. This gave me more slack in the wires to make splice shown in the diagrams on Page 9. When done, I just plugged it back in the connector.

35 - I was confused when i looked at the Mopar instructions since the C3 connector shown was next to the mounting tab with one hole, not two. The layout of the connectors looked the same, so I think I got the right connector (the one next to the two pin connector with huge wires). Unlatch and pull free. Note that there is very little slack in the wires to work with.

36 - My connector had a wire tie that I had to cut off to get the connector out of the hood. The connector slides out of the hood as shown, but you have to depress a tiny latch (shown as the little square box on the diagram). I pushed the connector out of the hood by poking a small allen wrench in a hole on the end of the hood.

37 - Of course my Pin 9 was filled, and is a large connector. To get slack, I pulled the pin out of the connector by popping off the red retainer on the bottom of the connector and using a micro screwdriver to depress the latch on the pin and pull it out of the housing.

38 - The wire on Pin 9 was about 14 or 12 gauge, so the little metal crimp Mopar supplied was going to be too small. I ended up pulling the insulation off a common yellow butt connector and crimping the 12 gauge back together with the small charger harness wire tucked in one end, then soldering, then heat shrinking. Be aware that the Mopar supplied heat shrink won't fit over the wire terminal, so you need to slide it on the wire before crimping, then hold it out of the way while soldering......over your head.....under the dash......in the dark......not fun. Now you see why I made the suggestions for Step 1.

39 - Mine didn't have a wire tie to begin with, so I didn't put one back on.

41 - 42 - Putting the large connectors back is pretty easy with the "swing latches". If you took the latch off to work on the connector, make sure you put it back on the right way or it won't latch.

44 - The only easy connection. It is at the kick panel, right at the door lip.

48 - Be sure to go backwards through the instructions document so you don't miss a connector!

BONUS - For all my pain and suffering under the dash, my charger came on and works fine even without the DealerCONNECT flash to put in the sales code. It is finicky about the phone/pad placement.
Does anyone still have this manual downloaded? Link is dead.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Good luck man!
Well, previous owner swapped to a limited console but didn't hook up anything. My guess is that I'm not even going to have the plug on the back of the charger. I may just solder it and wire it to the power port or some other accessory fuse. I'll probably never even use the dang thing. Just hate that it's there and not functional.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I never really cared for or used vehicle wireless chargers...mainly because my phone is always hooked up with a usb cord for apple carplay or android auto.

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I never really cared for or used vehicle wireless chargers...mainly because my phone is always hooked up with a usb cord for apple carplay or android auto.
Same. Have you seen the aawireless adapter coming out. Finally wireless android auto for all radios that currently support wired Android auto. I may actually use the wireless charger after I get my hands on one.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Same. Have you seen the aawireless adapter coming out. Finally wireless android auto for all radios that currently support wired Android auto. I may actually use the wireless charger after I get my hands on one.

I've seen a few wireless adapters for android auto/ carplay but I've seen a lot of issues with them. Its not a big deal for me to just plug it in.

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I may try this on my truck as the audio quality is terrible when connected via USB.

MikeRobertson

Reaction score
I installed the Mopar Wireless Phone Charging Pad in my Big Horn yesterday. I didn't take pictures since the Mopar Install doc (link below) has very good diagrams, and the tricky parts under the dash would have been almost impossible to photograph.

First, let me say that this install is not trivial and not fully "plug and play". You will be disassembling and unplugging a good deal of the dashboard face and console front. The Mopar doc says you "might" have to do soldered wire joins if connectors are already in use, and in my case, I had to solder both connections (and I don't have very many electronic options, so you will likely have to as well). This means you need decent soldering skills and the agility to work in very confined spaces up under the dash with a hot iron.

But, if I can do it, you can too.

Here are my additional "cheat" notes to let you know the things that Mopar left out. They are keyed to the Mopar diagrams linked above.

1 - You "can" position the seat so you can access the two console bolts for later removal, but if you do that, you need to be the size of a Kentucky Derby jockey to get up under the dash to make the electrical connections. I did what the instructions said and it stunk. Better to chose one of the following:
a - Pop off the little plastic cover and remove both drivers side console 10mm bolts (as shown in Step 10), then move the seat all the way back before disconnecting the battery.
b - Take the seat out entirely. Move the seat to the middle position, disconnect the battery, unlatch and disconnect the yellow connector under the seat, then remove four E-Torx 10mm bolts holding the seat.

2 - That's a 10mm bolt on the battery connection.

4 - Diagram shows a Torx, but mine were combination 7mm hex and Phillips.

5 - First, put a towel down on the console. Use a plastic pry tool and start near where the diagram shows. Once you get you fingers underneath, work around the edges, trying to pull straight out. Lean control panel on the towel so you don't scratch anything.

6 - There are way more connectors than shown. Note that the radio ones are similar sizes, but color coded. They all are locking connectors, so you have to find the latch, pinch, then pull out.

7 - Try to pull straight out. This was the only panel where I tore two of the loops holding the orange retaining clips. Clips fell inside the dash and I had to fish them out. They still work fine.

10 - 13 - 10mm hex bolts. The console slides back rather easily after all six bolts are out.

14 - More of the combination 7mm hex and Phillips. The back ones are on the support for the CD player.

18 - 20 - All locking connectors on the console. Sometimes the latch is not obvious, but it is there.

23 - My replacement panel already had the inserts. I took mine out, so if you loose yours, I have some spares.

24 - The clips on the backside are obscured by the panel. I used an old fashioned paint can opener with the little hook to reach in and depress the latch.

28 - The screws supplied in the kit were T20 torx.

30 - Screws are 7mm hex.

31 - All three connectors are locking. I used the plastic pry tool to depress the latch on the light. Mopar doesn't mention the freaking hood latch is on that panel. I couldn't get it loose, so I left it attached and slid the panel up under the pedals.

32 - The BCM is mounted behind the kick panel. Fortunately, the C5 connector is fairly easy to access.

33 - The "swing latch" on these large connectors has a little latch on the plastic hood covering the wires. You need to press down on the hood to release the latch.

NOTE - Before Step 34 - You are about to make wire connections in two different junction boxes. My new charger harness was wrapped in tape too far down, so that there was not enough exposed wire to make "unstressed" connections. Do yourself a favor and trim the black wrapping tape back 3 to 4 inches (leaving about 8 inches of exposed wire) before you make the connections.

34 - My pin 45 was already filled. I used a mini screwdriver to release the tiny latch on the connector pin and pull it out of the connector. This gave me more slack in the wires to make splice shown in the diagrams on Page 9. When done, I just plugged it back in the connector.

35 - I was confused when i looked at the Mopar instructions since the C3 connector shown was next to the mounting tab with one hole, not two. The layout of the connectors looked the same, so I think I got the right connector (the one next to the two pin connector with huge wires). Unlatch and pull free. Note that there is very little slack in the wires to work with.

36 - My connector had a wire tie that I had to cut off to get the connector out of the hood. The connector slides out of the hood as shown, but you have to depress a tiny latch (shown as the little square box on the diagram). I pushed the connector out of the hood by poking a small allen wrench in a hole on the end of the hood.

37 - Of course my Pin 9 was filled, and is a large connector. To get slack, I pulled the pin out of the connector by popping off the red retainer on the bottom of the connector and using a micro screwdriver to depress the latch on the pin and pull it out of the housing.

38 - The wire on Pin 9 was about 14 or 12 gauge, so the little metal crimp Mopar supplied was going to be too small. I ended up pulling the insulation off a common yellow butt connector and crimping the 12 gauge back together with the small charger harness wire tucked in one end, then soldering, then heat shrinking. Be aware that the Mopar supplied heat shrink won't fit over the wire terminal, so you need to slide it on the wire before crimping, then hold it out of the way while soldering......over your head.....under the dash......in the dark......not fun. Now you see why I made the suggestions for Step 1.

39 - Mine didn't have a wire tie to begin with, so I didn't put one back on.

41 - 42 - Putting the large connectors back is pretty easy with the "swing latches". If you took the latch off to work on the connector, make sure you put it back on the right way or it won't latch.

44 - The only easy connection. It is at the kick panel, right at the door lip.

48 - Be sure to go backwards through the instructions document so you don't miss a connector!

BONUS - For all my pain and suffering under the dash, my charger came on and works fine even without the DealerCONNECT flash to put in the sales code. It is finicky about the phone/pad placement.
I’m so confused on what to do with the red wire on the charger harness, am I basically repeating the same splice procedure I did on pin 45 to pin 9 with the red wire from the harness?

Ldc2335

Reaction score
I may try this on my truck as the audio quality is terrible when connected via USB.
It's going to be far worse with Bluetooth. Check the settings in whatever app you use for music. I changed my audio quality in spotify to the highest setting.

19ram1500crewlb

Reaction score
Does anyone know where each of the wires go specifically. The manual is terrible for this. I did not have a wire in pin 45 on the C5 connector, so I just plugged that in. Although it is possible I am on the wrong side connector. I also had to splice the red wire to the large red wire at the top of the C3 connector on the pdc. I did not think this was pin 9, but there was no pin in the port that I thought was pin 9, and the red wire came with no connector. I figured that was less important as long as it is getting power somehow. My charging pad is not turning on though, so I must have at least one of them in the wrong spot. I am going to post a photo once I get this figured out since this was so frustrating. Also, can anyone confirm if this needs to be activated or not. I am assuming no, since it is not in the directions, but just checking in case that is why it is not working. I am not seeing the blue light on the front the pad. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.!

ckirby500

Reaction score
Does anyone know where each of the wires go specifically. The manual is terrible for this. I did not have a wire in pin 45 on the C5 connector, so I just plugged that in. Although it is possible I am on the wrong side connector. I also had to splice the red wire to the large red wire at the top of the C3 connector on the pdc. I did not think this was pin 9, but there was no pin in the port that I thought was pin 9, and the red wire came with no connector. I figured that was less important as long as it is getting power somehow. My charging pad is not turning on though, so I must have at least one of them in the wrong spot. I am going to post a photo once I get this figured out since this was so frustrating. Also, can anyone confirm if this needs to be activated or not. I am assuming no, since it is not in the directions, but just checking in case that is why it is not working. I am not seeing the blue light on the front the pad. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.!
Did you figure it out? I’m stuck on this too

Users who are viewing this thread