5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Carplay - Anybody Tried this?

BostonBLS

Reaction score
So are you saying it works with ios13 or greater? Did it work consitently with ios13 or just once then not anymore?

james.h.morris68

Reaction score
Only worked once on each phone running iOS 13.1 beta. After that there were corrupted video blocks at the top of the screen and the remainder of the screen was blank. Using the same phones iOS 13.1 beta CarPlay via built in wireless on my wife’s bmw works fine so I fully suspect the rsnav box is the culprit. I’ll test again once 13.1 is out of beta tomorrow but not expecting a much different result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradleys

Reaction score
Similar experience when you try to connect an iPhone using an aftermarket cable. Seems like it has a minimum data connection standard - and if it doesn’t get their it fails by default.

Good connection or no connection...

Last edited:

parkerbarhorst

Reaction score
iOS version has nothing to do with wireless CarPlay (it has been on prior iOS versions for a couple of years now). It's the vehicle that has to support it, like a newer BMW 5 series for example.
thats what i was, its the truck that wont allow it.

Gatornation9999

Reaction score
Still waiting for delivery. It’s shipped direct from China to Canada so takes about a week to get here. At least no tariffs when it comes here. Too soon?

Anyway it’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I’ll post an update as soon as I test it out. FYI tests will be with iOS 13 on iPhone X, 13.1 beta on iPhone 11 Pro Max and iOS 12.4 on iPhone 8.

thats what i was, its the truck that wont allow it.
The conversation you are having is different. You're right. The truck itself only supports wired carplay. However, the thing I posted at the beginning of this thread is a dongle that you connect to the truck and then wirelessly connect your phone to and then it's supposed act as a wireless carplay.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The conversation you are having is different. You're right. The truck itself only supports wired carplay. However, the thing I posted at the beginning of this thread is a dongle that you connect to the truck and then wirelessly connect your phone to and then it's supposed act as a wireless carplay.
^^^ This ^^^

james.h.morris68

Reaction score
Yes. I bought that dongle. The same one in the link that was at the top of this thread. It doesn’t work. Wired or wireless. It’s currently shoved in the glove box taking up valuable space until Christmas when I will hang it on the tree. After which it ends up in a box in the basement.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes. I bought that dongle. The same one in the link that was at the top of this thread. It doesn’t work. Wired or wireless. It’s currently shoved in the glove box taking up valuable space until Christmas when I will hang it on the tree. After which it ends up in a box in the basement.

Bummer.

DeanKing

Reaction score
Similar experience when you try to connect an iPhone using an aftermarket cable. Seems like it has a minimum data connection standard - and if it doesn’t get their it fails by default.

Good connection or no connection...
Do you use legit mifi certified aftermarket cables? I have used a variety of Amazon Basic cables with no problems at all. Unrelated, I don’t ever see this wireless add on ever working. I’m shocked anyone got it to work once. If for no other reason Apple is not going to license this thing so that means they have a hacked key which Apple will eventually block in an update once they find out. Everyone needs to realize that when you buy any lightning accessory that does anything with data, it can suddenly stop working with an iOS update if it is not legitimately mifi certified. Even if it is, if the manufacturer stops paying their license fee next year it will stop working. Getting shipped directly from china is pretty much a red flag it is not properly licensed. I am not an Apple shill. I hate this licensing BS but know before you buy any too good to be true Lightning cable or accessory.

Users who are viewing this thread