5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless android auto?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here, but my Android phone runs Android Auto and Pandora both through the Bluetooth connection. Only time I use the cord is if I want to mirror my phone for google maps or whatever apps are compatible.

7amada

Reaction score
Sorry for the noob reply, but don’t they have dongles you can connect to usb on the headunit to get wireless apple car play.

i find a fewon the internet but not clue if any would work with us

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for the noob reply, but don’t they have dongles you can connect to usb on the headunit to get wireless apple car play.

i find a fewon the internet but not clue if any would work with us
yes they are out there, not sure if they work with the Uconnect but I know some people tried it out on the Sync 3 in the Mustangs and said it doesnt work very well if at all.

djjr50

Reaction score
As an update, there is a startup trying to bring to market an Android wireless adapter for most vehicles with Android Auto already equipped. It's supposed to ship soon. Once I get mine, I'll update.

trithumb

Reaction score
As an update, there is a startup trying to bring to market an Android wireless adapter for most vehicles with Android Auto already equipped. It's supposed to ship soon. Once I get mine, I'll update.

been thinking about jumping in on that. been burned by an indiegogo item in the past so I am hesitant to do that again

djjr50

Reaction score
been thinking about jumping in on that. been burned by an indiegogo item in the past so I am hesitant to do that again
I understand. It is always going to be an element of trust/doubt. The delays doesnt make me feel good but I am holding out hope.

Viking42

Reaction score
Why indegogo, the thing already exists,

So i got this info because i already bought from this provider
a Module to connect android wirlessly, over wifi
www.uroid.co.kr

UROID | DETAIL

UROID | EASY & SIMPLE & SMART
www.uroid.co.kr
www.uroid.co.kr

now i'm myself still unsure, this trader is okay, but the product looks too good to be true

BryanM

Reaction score
^^^ This ^^^

It's the same with Apple CarPlay. BMW is one of the few Mfgs that offer wireless CarPlay (and even then, I believe just on the 5 series as of last year).
Having wireless charging and Google Auto/Apple CarPlay is killer. Doubt it will come to the 2019s since it may require different hardware for the UConnect. Hopefully I'm wrong.
My 2018 330i has wireless carplay

djjr50

Reaction score
Why indegogo, the thing already exists,

So i got this info because i already bought from this provider
a Module to connect android wirlessly, over wifi
www.uroid.co.kr

UROID | DETAIL

UROID | EASY & SIMPLE & SMART
www.uroid.co.kr
www.uroid.co.kr

now i'm myself still unsure, this trader is okay, but the product looks too good to be true
Unfortunately, the compatibility listed doesnt include Mopar vehicles.

This isnt comparable to the AAWireless for two reasons:
  1. It's 4x more expensive
  2. It's Android that takes over the Apple Carplay, whereas AAWireless only works with vehicles that have Android Auto embedded in it already.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My 2018 330i has wireless carplay
Yeah, and now a lot more models and Mfgs come with wireless AppleCarplay standard (but not AA).
Ford and GM have it on most of their >2021 vehicles. Same with Audi, but not MB for whatever reason (I believe the GLB is their only model that has it). There’s talk that it will start showing up of their 2022 MY vehicles like the next X167 (GLS).

FCA will offer this on UConnect5 going forward. I believe the 2021 Pacifica is the only vehicle that has this as of right now.

Kizzo02

Reaction score
Yeah, and now a lot more models and Mfgs come with wireless AppleCarplay standard (but not AA).
Ford and GM have it on most of their >2021 vehicles. Same with Audi, but not MB for whatever reason (I believe the GLB is their only model that has it). There’s talk that it will start showing up of their 2022 MY vehicles like the next X167 (GLS).

FCA will offer this on UConnect5 going forward. I believe the 2021 Pacifica is the only vehicle that has this as of right now.

The new 2021 Dodge Durango has the Uconnect 5 as well, along with the new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Spring 2021). It looks as if the 2022 Ram should have it. I think I read when Uconnect 5 was announced that all FCA vehicles will have it by 2023. So the timeline makes sense.

lylemsharp

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 for my wife and was told Uconnect would get an over the air update this Spring or Summer enabling wireless AA. The necessary hardware is there. That's what I was told by the dealership, not necessarily factual data. Anyway, I'm good with the wired connection and MIGHT never even use the wireless modality, but I do wish they had a wireless charger up on the dash though so my cell phone's antenna was a little more useful than when it's buried under my dashboard. The phone and Google maps work way more reliably near the windshield... Or they could put a cellular repeater or signal booster in the truck to address the poor location they chose for us to place our phones while charging.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 for my wife and was told Uconnect would get an over the air update this Spring or Summer enabling wireless AA. The necessary hardware is there. That's what I was told by the dealership, not necessarily factual data. Anyway, I'm good with the wired connection and MIGHT never even use the wireless modality, but I do wish they had a wireless charger up on the dash though so my cell phone's antenna was a little more useful than when it's buried under my dashboard. The phone and Google maps work way more reliably near the windshield... Or they could put a cellular repeater or signal booster in the truck to address the poor location they chose for us to place our phones while charging.
Seriously, seriously doubt it.
If the capability to do this was there, they would have enabled this years ago and bragged about it non-stop.

Sorry but your dealer is full of it.

Cheers,

djjr50

Reaction score
A few manufacturers have done this (include the hardware...I believe it's just a wifi radio capable of receiving data that integrates with UConnect), but it may not have been planned for that use. Keep in mind that Android Auto and Apple Car Play isnt that old (I think 5-6 years), and the wireless spec is even newer. However, Ram probably has very little reason to update existing trucks when they sell as many as they do and they can hold that carrot in front of you for the next $50k truck purchase in two-three years.

My local dealer's service told me that the speedometer cannot be adusted on the 5th-gen if you change tire sizes, so let's understand that there is a lot of room for accuracy in what dealers tell us (which is what I think lylemsharp expressed).

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, seriously doubt it.
If the capability to do this was there, they would have enabled this years ago and bragged about it non-stop.

Sorry but your dealer is full of it.

Cheers,
I was not able to get the artist cover and all unless I was plugged in before. Now I get artist info and album art from Pandora over the BT connection. So, although the AA isn't over the air yet, somewhere someplace things are updating little by little.

Last edited:

coldmist

Reaction score
I was not able to get the artist cover and all unless I was plugged in before. Now I get artist info and album art from Pandora over the BT connection. So, although the AA isn't over the air yet, somewhere someplace things are updating little by little.
I got this recently when my Galaxy S10 was updated to Android 11. Before that, it wouldn't show album art over BT. Now it does. But, it was a phone update, not a truck update (as I have never gotten a radio update - ever :mad:)

Users who are viewing this thread