5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless android auto?

Socks

Reaction score
With the recent update to android oreo, selected Google phones now accept wireless android auto. They had a listing of oem and aftermarket companies that have implemented it but now I cant find it. Does anyone know if this is available with uconnect 8.4 or 12.1 or if it even has the capability to have it added at a later date.

So far I know it connects android auto wirelessly through wifi feathering. Since uconnect does have wifi, I'm not sure if itll have it. Would be nice, I know itll drain the battery but with the wireless charging (ramcharger) it could be a pretty sweet combo.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge there is no option for wireless Android auto

Socks

Reaction score
To my understanding bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to support android auto. Wifi does however. Previously, all phones needed to be tethered to provide enough bandwidth of communication to use android auto. Hence the cord.
A few months ago google did an update for android users called android oreo. Which at first gave all users wireless android auto but after a week they made it google phones only (Google Pixel and such). Though this feature would be battery intensive. So leaving your phone in the pocket and going long distances using android auto would kill your phones battery. But let's say going a couple blocks to pick up groceries, gas, kids, etc. Would have a big benefit. Also, since the truck had wireless charging. It could in theory just be placed there quickly and without fumbling around for the cord. Be charging and wireless all at the same time.
Regardless though, the technology is here. I'm just not sure if uconnect implemented it in their system. I believe it's not in it now, but who's to say a software update cant add it. That is beyond my knowledge. Was hoping someone had insight.

Ardit

Reaction score
I believe the wireless feature has to be part of the head unit itself. It’s like asking a modem to give WiFi. It can give wired internet, but no amount of updates will give it the antennas physically required for a WiFi signal.

Socks

Reaction score
I was just hoping. I know volvo will be implementing it soon and android P natively. Especially as the tech behind it looks amazing.
Here is a video of android p for those who are unfamiliar with it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
To my understanding bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to support android auto. Wifi does however. Previously, all phones needed to be tethered to provide enough bandwidth of communication to use android auto. Hence the cord.
A few months ago google did an update for android users called android oreo. Which at first gave all users wireless android auto but after a week they made it google phones only (Google Pixel and such). Though this feature would be battery intensive. So leaving your phone in the pocket and going long distances using android auto would kill your phones battery. But let's say going a couple blocks to pick up groceries, gas, kids, etc. Would have a big benefit. Also, since the truck had wireless charging. It could in theory just be placed there quickly and without fumbling around for the cord. Be charging and wireless all at the same time.
Regardless though, the technology is here. I'm just not sure if uconnect implemented it in their system. I believe it's not in it now, but who's to say a software update cant add it. That is beyond my knowledge. Was hoping someone had insight.

^^^ This ^^^

It's the same with Apple CarPlay. BMW is one of the few Mfgs that offer wireless CarPlay (and even then, I believe just on the 5 series as of last year).
Having wireless charging and Google Auto/Apple CarPlay is killer. Doubt it will come to the 2019s since it may require different hardware for the UConnect. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread as I was wondering the same thing. So currently you need to plug in the USB into the phone to run Android Auto into the uConnect, and sit the phone in the Ramcharger. Wifi will connect only the phone's internet to the truck's wifi/internet, NOT wifi into the uConnect to mirror Android Auto onto the screen. You need the physical USB chord to achieve that. Bummer.

The, as a quicker connection (all be it slightly) has anyone tried using one of those magnetic USB-C chords to connect the phone. Maybe that would allow you to simply put the phone in the Ramcharger with the magnetic tio USB-c tip right there and it would magnetically "jump" to connect into the phone. (A magnetic connection male end goes into your phone and the 2 magnetics meet and close the circuit. Anyone ever try that or get it to work. Nothing annoys me more than having all the quick tech and still having to find and fumble with chords, connect them, then try to hide them just to get my phone connected.

Capt Joe

Reaction score
My Microsoft Laptop has a magnetic connection like that. They work good and there shouldn't be a reason that something like that wouldn't work for us. I agree that I hate wires. I love the ram charger for keeping the cabin tidy.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Microsoft Laptop has a magnetic connection like that. They work good and there shouldn't be a reason that something like that wouldn't work for us. I agree that I hate wires. I love the ram charger for keeping the cabin tidy.
I agree. Would have been perfect to be true wireless (charging / connecting) but very rarely do things always work out perfectly. Hopefully a magnetic cable can be positioned in the bottom of the phone holder to make a simple connection to the uConnect. I guess it that does work, than the wireless charging is a moot point as the cable will assume the charging capabilities. But it's still good to have to just throw the phone in when driving around town w/o need ing Android Auto or Car Play.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the video Socks posted. Right in the middle of discussing Android P running natively in a Volvo they show a quick view of the Ram... seemingly doing the same.

2019-03-02 20_12_53-Window.png

tommy_riley

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread as I was wondering the same thing. So currently you need to plug in the USB into the phone to run Android Auto into the uConnect, and sit the phone in the Ramcharger. Wifi will connect only the phone's internet to the truck's wifi/internet, NOT wifi into the uConnect to mirror Android Auto onto the screen. You need the physical USB chord to achieve that. Bummer.

The, as a quicker connection (all be it slightly) has anyone tried using one of those magnetic USB-C chords to connect the phone. Maybe that would allow you to simply put the phone in the Ramcharger with the magnetic tio USB-c tip right there and it would magnetically "jump" to connect into the phone. (A magnetic connection male end goes into your phone and the 2 magnetics meet and close the circuit. Anyone ever try that or get it to work. Nothing annoys me more than having all the quick tech and still having to find and fumble with chords, connect them, then try to hide them just to get my phone connected.

I own a Jeep, and was looking for some Uconnect info and came across this thread. Had to create an account and respond when I saw your post.

Volta has a magnetic tip USB charger cable that supports OnePlus DASH quick charging.

https://voltacharger.com/products/volta-2-0?variant=19571920732248

They were a kickstarter and now they sell outright. Get's good reviews, but a bit pricey.

One of the very few cables I have seen outside of OnePlus's own cables that support DASH charging - let alone with a magnetic tip. I was thinking about doing something similar with my regular window mounted magnetic phone holder - has two feet that extend out the bottom for stability and was maybe going to rig one of those cables up so it marries to the phone as I set it in the holder.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I own a Jeep, and was looking for some Uconnect info and came across this thread. Had to create an account and respond when I saw your post.

Volta has a magnetic tip USB charger cable that supports OnePlus DASH quick charging.

https://voltacharger.com/products/volta-2-0?variant=19571920732248

They were a kickstarter and now they sell outright. Get's good reviews, but a bit pricey.

One of the very few cables I have seen outside of OnePlus's own cables that support DASH charging - let alone with a magnetic tip. I was thinking about doing something similar with my regular window mounted magnetic phone holder - has two feet that extend out the bottom for stability and was maybe going to rig one of those cables up so it marries to the phone as I set it in the holder.
@tommy_riley what is OnePlus DASH quick charging

SRRouse

Reaction score
Personally, I believe that “Bluetooth can’t handle the bandwidth” is the excuse, not the reason.
That said, here’s a “hack” that uses an android TV stick as the Wi-Fi antenna.
I haven’t tried it and needless to say it isn’t supported by anyone and you’re on your own.
The link referenced in this article is to an “Android Development and Hacking” site.

Note: Hack and Hacking here refers to tinkering (similar to “Life Hacks”) and not illegal activity.

Livewire.com article:
Android Auto Wireless: What It Is and How To Use It

Users who are viewing this thread