5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tinting

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
dumb question - what is ecu? I did the windshield on my Rebel and never even considered there could be any real risk with water.
Ya, the becu, body electronic control unit sits in a place that is very susceptible to water when tinting the windshield. Its right below the a pilar under the driver side dash. there has been plenty of post where their truck goes crazy, horn beeps, wipers go on all sorts of weird stuff due to water getting into it. Some have been lucky and it dried out and the issues went away, others had to have it replaced.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ya, the becu, body electronic control unit sits in a place that is very susceptible to water when tinting the windshield. Its right below the a pilar under the driver side dash. there has been plenty of post where their truck goes crazy, horn beeps, wipers go on all sorts of weird stuff due to water getting into it. Some have been lucky and it dried out and the issues went away, others had to have it replaced.
Good to know. I will be sure to make mention of that with my next windshield tint...current went on almost 3 years ago with no issues and no knowledge so I consider myself lucky. :)

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
Have to say, big fan of windshield tint. 1st day in the sun of florid and could already tell the difference.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any issues using polarizing sunglasses with the windshield tint?
I get the "oil slick" effect with my 35% ceramic side windows.
you won't need sunglasses with the windshield tinted. I never wear them and can't think of a time I wish I did.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
None that i noticed, and i wear polarized prescription shades.
All I can do in MD legally would be a clear IR blocking tint on the windshield.
All illegal in Fl. But went and did it anyways.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Not for me. I go back and forth between rx sunglasses, and polarized Costas when I wear my contacts, and no concerns. There was a little bit of ”oil slick” for a day or two until it cured, it nothing after that. Either on the windshield or the 5% around the rest

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if 35% tint on windshield interferes with any of the electronics on the mirror etc?

tech97elec

Reaction score
Im in MD too and just didnt want to tint entire front windshield, but what i did do was a heavy tinted fron windshield "eyebrow". Made huge diff and doesnt affect night driving at all. Ask installer, they have patterns for every vehicle

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
Truthfully even at 50% you really cant tell its tinted when looking though it, and it didnt affect my night driving at all.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truthfully even at 50% you really cant tell its tinted when looking though it, and it didnt affect my night driving at all.
Same. That was the first thing I asked and was skeptical when told it wouldn't. But zero issues...game changer for sure and now I will always have it.

Av1

Reaction score

My biggest issue with installing ceramic windshield film is "low angle haze". It's inherent in all ceramic films. Even the most premium films (some worse than others) have it to some degree.

I've had premium ceramic windshield film on several vehicles, but have decided that I prefer optical clarity over the heat rejection.

For those that don't notice that sort of thing or it doesn't bother them, I highly recommend ceramic film on your windshield. It makes a big difference in interior heat control.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up getting the lightest IR tint available at 70%. I wanted 100%, but I was told from every place I called that I would have to buy an entire 1000ft roll. I can’t tell the 70% is there though, so I still like it.

spithead051

Reaction score
I ended up getting the lightest IR tint available at 70%. I wanted 100%, but I was told from every place I called that I would have to buy an entire 1000ft roll. I can’t tell the 70% is there though, so I still like it.

Doing the same on my Rebel, installer who is taking care of it has started to refuse doing 100% film on windshields after having so many complaints about waviness or other weird visual issues with clear film. (3M Crystalline). Rest of the truck is getting 3M IR as 1% better IR/UV protection is not worth 30% more in price.

He showed me a few cars with 70% he was working on and you could not tell it was there and the tiny amount of pigment in the film eliminates that waviness that folks complained about.

Users who are viewing this thread