5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window Tinting

Fordication

Reaction score
My truck came with factory tinting and I want to put window tint over the original coloring. What is a good level of tint on the rear windows and the front windows? I do not want it too dark to see out of and think the factory coloring is about right on the rear but one level darker than legal on the front.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I factory match the front to the back and then wrap all of the back again in that same 'match' - also do full windshield at 50%. Also get ceramic for heat.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On my truck, I ran 20% film over all the doors rear window and sunroof. Then 35% on windshield. IMO, that's about perfect. Only thing is I wish I would have gone 15% on front doors

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
My truck came with factory tinting and I want to put window tint over the original coloring. What is a good level of tint on the rear windows and the front windows? I do not want it too dark to see out of and think the factory coloring is about right on the rear but one level darker than legal on the front.
you did not list the state you are in
before following the above make sure the state you are in permits it.

Limited Legend

Reaction score
Be advised if you have a limited. I let some clowns do mine and they damaged my leather on the door panels with the solution. Thankfully they are paying for them to be replaced, it's getting done today. Only took about 2 months. I have a thread with pictures. I chose to only do the fronts. 20% was dark at night and the fronts were noticeably darker on the inside. Had them retinted with 25% and the match inside is close, not perfect but close.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
I have full ceramic. 50% windshield, 15% front two, not sure what’s on the rears but whatever was placed on them makes the windows equal to 5%.

Privacy glass is equal to 15%-20% I believe.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
The rear windows come standard with essentially 35% tint. I tinted my fronts 5% and rears 15% (.15x.35=5%) and they match the front perfectly. I’d 100% recommend tinting the windshield 50% also it’s a huge improvement! I tinted the back window with an additional layer of 5% tint just for looks, so you can’t see in the window lol (0.25% of light)

cliffsta

Reaction score
I added a layer of 50% to all four doors and the back glass. That’s about the legal limit on the two front doors in Louisiana on a passenger vehicle. It darkened up the back nicely and takes some heat out without being gangster dark. I also added a 10% strip on top of the windshield.

Attachments

• 9BC77DB3-E12E-4563-810E-8377D111A1BB.jpeg
    9BC77DB3-E12E-4563-810E-8377D111A1BB.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 061E6102-4719-431E-A162-F8C26756A280.jpeg
    061E6102-4719-431E-A162-F8C26756A280.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 113

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
You just tell the installer to match the front and rear. It varies by installer because of the tint level they stock. My guy for instance only kept 15% and 30% in stock (in ceramic). Since the back was like 20%, he put 15% on the front and Air 80 on the back to match. The Air 80 made the back close to 15%. Mine matched perfectly. I also did Air 80 on the windshield.

I do have to say that this was the first vehicle I did a brow on, that was by far the best part of the tint job. He went to the bottom of the rear view mirror mount and it is awesome in the sun. Rarely ever have to flip my visor down and it's not distracting at all.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
You just tell the installer to match the front and rear. It varies by installer because of the tint level they stock. My guy for instance only kept 15% and 30% in stock (in ceramic). Since the back was like 20%, he put 15% on the front and Air 80 on the back to match. The Air 80 made the back close to 15%. Mine matched perfectly. I also did Air 80 on the windshield.

I do have to say that this was the first vehicle I did a brow on, that was by far the best part of the tint job. He went to the bottom of the rear view mirror mount and it is awesome in the sun. Rarely ever have to flip my visor down and it's not distracting at all.
Never tinted my front. any issue driving at night?

cliffsta

Reaction score
If you are tinting windows….. Please check your local laws. Whole-windshield tinting is illegal in Louisiana, for example.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never tinted my front. any issue driving at night?

Mine is done in clear ceramic. Can’t even tell it’s there except for the temp difference. Note: you have to apply inspection stickers, toll tags, parking stickers etc on a piece of clear static cling film so the windshield film is not damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread