5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window tint questions

gatesb77

Reaction score
I’m getting my tint done soon. Going with 30% in the front and possible windshield brow. I’d match the back but MA started videoing inspections and the inspectors have to measure front tint.

How are people liking the windshield brow? I’ve never done it before and am really unsure about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue

Reaction score
I have so many questions...but first, can anyone located in Houston recommend a place to get my windows tinted?
Whats the price? I've done some research and I know that the price can very a lot depending on the type of film and the shop. Just don't want to get ripped off.
I'm leaning towards ceramic tint for the summers in Houston, but is there something better you guys like? Did anyone get their sunroofs tinted? Are you supposed to get the back window facing the bed tinted? Sorry for the barrage of questions. It's my first truck so I have so many questions.

badgerguy22

Reaction score
I’m getting my tint done soon. Going with 30% in the front and possible windshield brow. I’d match the back but MA started videoing inspections and the inspectors have to measure front tint.

How are people liking the windshield brow? I’ve never done it before and am really unsure about it.

I got the brow done at 5%. I had them inch it up a couple times and it is still a little too low for my liking, but I'm making myself get used to it. I'm 6'1" so maybe you won't have an issue if you're shorter than that. Glad I got it done, just need to get used to it. Pics here:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had 5% all around on my srt-10, tad but darker in the rear as it was tinted over the factory tint. Never did the windshield as i found that even dumber and less safe then 5% all around. It was a ***** to see at night and hard as **** to back up. Had to roll the windows down all the time. Also did 5% on my other cars and had the same issue. Have left my last 2 trucks tintless
I hear you. Young bucks with young eyes maybe can get away with it but my nightime vision is not comfortable even with a low level of tint. Im leaving my 19 stock. Just yesterday morning pulling out onto the 2 lane (45 mph everyone does 55) county highway, at 6:05 am, the guy coming from my right had no lights. If I had tint, I probably would have pulled out and had an at-fault accident. Not worth it for me to either “look cool” or save $1 on gas for ac... When you get older you’ll “see” what I mean...

gatesb77

Reaction score
I got the brow done at 5%. I had them inch it up a couple times and it is still a little too low for my liking, but I'm making myself get used to it. I'm 6'1" so maybe you won't have an issue if you're shorter than that. Glad I got it done, just need to get used to it. Pics here:

Thanks for your input. I’m definitely shorter at 5’4” lol. I’m still not sure about it though. I won’t be there when they install it. They are doing a couple other things and need the truck for a couple of days. I can really like the big view the windshield gives and the brow is really for vanity reasons. I was sold when the shop rep said it’ll help make the window tint look darker .

PorBoy

Reaction score
I just had my side windows down and the shop guy was showing me this lol. 95E0BE8D-2063-41CB-BC2F-74D0CE5C125B.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Lucky you can tint them so much in your state. However, with an eye doctor's note there is a workaround the law.
Same in NC, :
Vehicles with applications of after‐factory window tinting must be checked, at an additional charge of $10 during a North Carolina safety inspection to ensure they meet specifications set by the state in G.S. 20-127).
  • Tinted windows cannot measure darker than 32 percent with a North Carolina-approved window tint meter.
  • The tint on a windshield cannot extend more than 5 inches below the top of the windshield or below the AS1 line of the windshield, whichever is longer.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I have done the 35% on the front side windows and I think it looks good and is tinted enough to provide some privacy while still being easy to see out of at night. I do notice a difference between the factory rears and 35% fronts but it still looks good to me.
So how did the 35% do for keeping the sun heat off your arm while driving? Thats what I notice, plus the worse than normal drivers ac vent temps...

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
I got 20 up front and a 5 for the strip and I love it, had the same on most of my previous vehicles too 20190419_062556.jpg

jkratze1

Reaction score
So how did the 35% do for keeping the sun heat off your arm while driving? Thats what I notice, plus the worse than normal drivers ac vent temps...

The tint is ceramic tint so it does a great job of keep things cool up front since it blocks IR. The IR blocking properties of window tint determine how well heat is kept out and not the darkness. I am planning on putting 70% ceramic tint on the front windshield next which should block most of the IR coming into the windshield without darkening the front windshield.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I just really like that real dark tint on my white truck. About to move back to a state with no inspections period so I am thankful about that.

Attachments

• C7B1DFCA-B435-4D58-BD3D-78F2B334356D.jpeg
    C7B1DFCA-B435-4D58-BD3D-78F2B334356D.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 171

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I went with 60% crystalline windshield, 5% ceramic front sides, 15% over factory tint back sides (it matches the 5%), and double 5% on the back window. It’s awesome how much privacy it has and how cool the truck stays. It’s funny, 5% seems dark until you do double 5%, then it feels like 5% isn’t even tinted lol. Driving at night with double limo is identical to driving with single limo, the difference is that during the day it looks like night time out the back window. You can still see but it is dark considering you’re letting in 1/4% of light.

Users who are viewing this thread