5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

window sticker says 33gal tank, but I think i have 26g?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I always assumed it was in case there is any water in the fuel. Water sinks to the bottom of the tank because it's heavier than gasoline. Airplanes have a valve in the bottom of the tank that gets opened before every flight to drain any water that has collected in the bottom of the tanks.
You do realize the fuel pump sucks fuel from the bottom of the tank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even after the tank runs empty enough that the engine dies, there is probably 2 or more gallons in the tank. The pick up tube can only pick up so low in the tank.
On my 99 Dakota, I put 22.1 gallons into a 22 gallon tank one time. Had some transmission issuesz and when I dropped it off at dealer it was already at zero DTE. Figured the dealer would see they and add a couple gallons to do test drives. Boy was I wrong. Luckily the closest gas station to dealership was less than a block away. Kind of surprised I made it. I have pul close to 25 gallons into my 26 gallon tank on my Ram trying to see how far I could go after hitting 0 DTE.

Dschmid37

Reaction score
You do realize the fuel pump sucks fuel from the bottom of the tank.
I've never had one out, but I know they're mounted on the top of the tank, with a fuel pick-up that I would guess is not on the bottom of the tank, but probably a 1/2 inch off the bottom. That would explain why it seems you can never access that last 1-3 gallons.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never had one out, but I know they're mounted on the top of the tank, with a fuel pick-up that I would guess is not on the bottom of the tank, but probably a 1/2 inch off the bottom. That would explain why it seems you can never access that last 1-3 gallons.
I put 31.5 gallons in my 33 gallon tank before. DTE did not say I have 0 miles left nor did my truck turn off.
People here that are not able to access the last gallons are full of crap and dont pass the sniff test, test it yourself instead of complaining your tank isn't right.
Put a gas tank in the back and drive it until your truck shuts off, then put the gas in it and go right to the nearest station and fill up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The fuel pickup is in the bottom of a "basket" that will go up and down with fuel level. It will absolutely suck directly from the bottom of the tank when you are less than 1/4 tank.

Dschmid37

Reaction score
The fuel pickup is in the bottom of a "basket" that will go up and down with fuel level. It will absolutely suck directly from the bottom of the tank when you are less than 1/4 tank.
Thanks for the info! There goes my theory....

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No it is not. It is at a fixed position, suspended by rods from the top. It is designed slightly above the bottom of the tank, because there are going to be slight height differences between every tank, and the fact that the tanks expand and contract. Some tanks, the pickup could be 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. Because of these parameters, it will vary how much is left in the tank. The gauge will read different depending on the grade of the road, whether the gas is at the side of the tank the unit is in, or pitched away.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So... Who's gonna be the first to run their truck out of gas to discover wether or not we can get all the fuel out :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No it is not. It is at a fixed position, suspended by rods from the top. It is designed slightly above the bottom of the tank, because there are going to be slight height differences between every tank, and the fact that the tanks expand and contract. Some tanks, the pickup could be 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. Because of these parameters, it will vary how much is left in the tank. The gauge will read different depending on the grade of the road, whether the gas is at the side of the tank the unit is in, or pitched away.
They must have changed the design on these newer trucks then. Have you removed the fuel pump on a 5th gen? Looking online, it looks like my description fits

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So... Who's gonna be the first to run their truck out of gas to discover wether or not we can get all the fuel out :ROFLMAO:
I don't need to.
I was able to put 95.4% of my fuel tank's compacity of gas into my tank before without running dry and turning off or having my screen read 0 miles remaining.

The people who don't believe their tank size definitely should. It's not a hard thing to do, and post people should already have a 5 gallon tank lying around somewhere.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't need to.
I was able to put 95.4% of my fuel tank's compacity of gas into my tank before without running dry and turning off or having my screen read 0 miles remaining.

The people who don't believe their tank size definitely should. It's not a hard thing to do, and post people should already have a 5 gallon tank lying around somewhere.
Nice

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
there is a thread where posters upgraded their tank maybe someone there can comment on how much fuel they put in after upgrading

6of36

Reaction score
They must have changed the design on these newer trucks then. Have you removed the fuel pump on a 5th gen? Looking online, it looks like my description fits
They have been like that forever. No I have hot polled one on a 5th gen. Looking at the picture on line, it has rods holding it in place. If it wasn't stationary, the fuel gauge wouldn't work. The float pivots off of that pod.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I always assumed it was in case there is any water in the fuel. Water sinks to the bottom of the tank because it's heavier than gasoline. Airplanes have a valve in the bottom of the tank that gets opened before every flight to drain any water that has collected in the bottom of the tanks.
The OP here thinks he got a 26 gallon tank instead of a 33 and you think the difference is water in the gas tank? Do you think there might be 7 or 8 gallons of water the gas tank? Really?

Dschmid37

Reaction score
The OP here thinks he got a 26 gallon tank instead of a 33 and you think the difference is water in the gas tank? Do you think there might be 7 or 8 gallons of water the gas tank? Really?
Uhhhhhh.....no. The thread was evolving and I was talking about the 1-3 gallons that seem to be inaccessible. The OP definitely has something odd happening.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Uhhhhhh.....no. The thread was evolving and I was talking about the 1-3 gallons that seem to be inaccessible. The OP definitely has something odd happening.
Nothing odd happening with OP. And I just put 24 gallons in my 26 gallon tank yesterday and could have gone further before getting gas if I wanted.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Ok, 1-3 gallons of water in the tank. No. I don't think the old hemi would be running to well if that were the case.

Users who are viewing this thread