5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will there be a 392 RAM?

bwsRam19

Reaction score
470 hp would sure be nice in the Ram, why isn't this happening yet?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It would fix the power gap between RAM's competitors optional engines, such as the 6.2L GM and 3.5L Ecoboost Ford. Though the 5.7L is above the 5.3L GM & 2.7L Ecoboost, specifically in towing. Kinda in that sweet middle spot at a reasonable value.

I would love the 6.4L though.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was supposed to be a NA 426 Rebel TR to go along with the 6.2 SC Rebel TRX. Sometime late in development the 426 was shelved for unknown reasons (emissions? cost?) and the TRX was made it's own model rather than a Rebel-branded 'trim'. There was also supposed to be a 426 Challenger (and presumably Charger too). IDK why they didn't just plug the 392 in place of the cancelled 426 TR. They put it in almost everything else (Charger, Challenger, Durango, 2500, and soon Wrangler). Seems like a 1500 392 would be a no-brainer, either as a TRX 'lite' or some sort of street performance truck. Maybe they still will.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There was supposed to be a NA 426 Rebel TR to go along with the 6.2 SC Rebel TRX. Sometime late in development the 426 was shelved for unknown reasons (emissions? cost?) and the TRX was made it's own model rather than a Rebel-branded 'trim'. There was also supposed to be a 426 Challenger (and presumably Charger too). IDK why they didn't just plug the 392 in place of the cancelled 426 TR. They put it in almost everything else (Charger, Challenger, Durango, 2500, and soon Wrangler). Seems like a 1500 392 would be a no-brainer, either as a TRX 'lite' or some sort of street performance truck. Maybe they still will.

Love that idea, makes sense.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still holding out hope for a 6.4 or larger in 1500s under the TRX.
Wouldn't be the first time that FCA (or other manufacturers) released the "halo" vehicle first (TRX) and filled in the gaps under it at a later date.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I too was really disappointed when I was Ram shopping and discovered the only way to get a 6.4 was in the 2500. I have that engine in my Challenger and feel like it would be perfect for the the 1500. The 1500 fit my needs better so I went with it, but I would seriously consider trading it in if RAM ever put the right package together.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I too was really disappointed when I was Ram shopping and discovered the only way to get a 6.4 was in the 2500. I have that engine in my Challenger and feel like it would be perfect for the the 1500. The 1500 fit my needs better so I went with it, but I would seriously consider trading it in if RAM ever put the right package together.
I remember telling the Ram salesman that my only complaint with the new Ram (on test drives) was the lack of a powertrain to compete directly against the GM 6.2L (or Ford 3.5L TT). He argued that those engines compete against the 6.4L. I immediately replied, “We’re talking about 1/2-ton trucks, sir.” SMH.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When RAM gets concerned with not winning the next award...you will see another engine.

For now...people are still buying the 5.7l Hemi...and that is good enough for RAM.

THE 6.4L that is in the challenger is completely different than the one in the HeavyDuty.

The challenger 6.4 would have to be tuned different for the truck.

The problem with these 1500 performance trucks is...well...they would be made for performance and someone would try to tow a 11k trailer with it and bam...well just look through our towing threads to get the point.

When @SpeedyV longhorn has 1069 lbs of payload...the performance version will have 800.

The turbo six was supposed to come too.

My bet would lie in this.

The Wagoneer will be on the street soon and the TRX street version will be next.

Then the trickle down starts...

HemiDude

Reaction score
When RAM gets concerned with not winning the next award...you will see another engine.

For now...people are still buying the 5.7l Hemi...and that is good enough for RAM.

THE 6.4L that is in the challenger is completely different than the one in the HeavyDuty.

The challenger 6.4 would have to be tuned different for the truck.

The problem with these 1500 performance trucks is...well...they would be made for performance and someone would try to tow a 11k trailer with it and bam...well just look through our towing threads to get the point.

When @SpeedyV longhorn has 1069 lbs of payload...the performance version will have 800.

The turbo six was supposed to come too.

My bet would lie in this.

The Wagoneer will be on the street soon and the TRX street version will be next.

Then the trickle down starts...
I'm fine with the truck version of the 6.4. It works fine in the HD, I see no legitimate reason why it couldn't be easily adapted for production 1500s. I'm not saying that Ram has to use the SRT version of the 6.4 (although I wouldn't complain if they did ;)), but when I found out the biggest gas engine I could get was the 5.7, I almost bought an F150 Limited (with the Raptor engine) instead. Glad I didn't, as I truly like my truck, and all the money I saved by NOT buying the Ford goes into accessories :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If they can stick a 6.4L in a sedan, they should be able to give us the truck spec version of the 6.4L in the 1500 sized class truck.

Everyone respects the 6.2L V8 in the GMs, wouldn't be nice to have a similar competitor in the RAM? I mean GM doesn't make it easy to get that engine, they limit it to certain trims, but FCA could do the same with RAM.

I will say, if I can get a Rebel 6.4L, it could prevent my naturally wondering eye to move to another brand 3-4 years from now, which is what I tend to do. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but now that the Silverado Trail Boss is available in 6.2L and they are fixing the interior, it would make a compelling alternative to what I drive now.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they can stick a 6.4L in a sedan, they should be able to give us the truck spec version of the 6.4L in the 1500 sized class truck.

Everyone respects the 6.2L V8 in the GMs, wouldn't be nice to have a similar competitor in the RAM? I mean GM doesn't make it easy to get that engine, they limit it to certain trims, but FCA could do the same with RAM.

I will say, if I can get a Rebel 6.4L, it could prevent my naturally wondering eye to move to another brand 3-4 years from now, which is what I tend to do. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck, but now that the Silverado Trail Boss is available in 6.2L and they are fixing the interior, it would make a compelling alternative to what I drive now.

When it comes to fullsize trucks - I'm someone that's not open to an Ecoboost style engine, and this is regardless of manufacturer.
Not GM's recent 2.7 unit, not Ford's, not Toyota's rumored engine, and if FCA does it? If I'm in the market at that point ( I have 0 intention on ever selling this Rebel) I would rather move to a heavyduty or another brand than own one.
(I'm sure by ~2035 Nissan will still be selling that Titan with the same 5.6) :ROFLMAO:
I'm familiar with why some people like them, it is not for me.

Dropping the 6.4 Hemi into the Rebel would make me think! It verywell might.
To me the second most interesting truck was the GMC AT4 with the 6.2
I like the look, I seriously respect their 6.2L V8 - While it is specified to run on premium it is a neat engine. They sound great with a good aftermarket exhaust.

Honestly what kept me away? Aside from cost vs value next to the Rebel? ( And the fact that I did genuinely liked the Rebel and its plusses) The rear locker is NOT a user selectable unit. It's basically a steroided up computer controlled Limited Slip Diff.
And IIRC GM still wax coats their frames.

But I think the Silverado is much better looking in person, and the interiors- while they are pretty much last in the segment, they are livable.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
When it comes to fullsize trucks - I'm someone that's not open to an Ecoboost style engine, and this is regardless of manufacturer.
Not GM's recent 2.7 unit, not Ford's, not Toyota's rumored engine, and if FCA does it? If I'm in the market at that point ( I have 0 intention on ever selling this Rebel) I would rather move to a heavyduty or another brand than own one.
(I'm sure by ~2035 Nissan will still be selling that Titan with the same 5.6) :ROFLMAO:
I'm familiar with why some people like them, it is not for me.

Dropping the 6.4 Hemi into the Rebel would make me think! It verywell might.
To me the second most interesting truck was the GMC AT4 with the 6.2
I like the look, I seriously respect their 6.2L V8 - While it is specified to run on premium it is a neat engine. They sound great with a good aftermarket exhaust.

Honestly what kept me away? Aside from cost vs value next to the Rebel? ( And the fact that I did genuinely liked the Rebel and its plusses) The rear locker is NOT a user selectable unit. It's basically a steroided up computer controlled Limited Slip Diff.
And IIRC GM still wax coats their frames.

But I think the Silverado is much better looking in person, and the interiors- while they are pretty much last in the segment, they are livable.

I actually came from a Ford 2.7L Ecoboost, it was honestly a jewel of a motor, powerful and fuel efficient. Would smoke my RAM no question while getting me vastly better mileage. However, it lacked the sound I really wanted with this type of vehicle. The V8 with an aftermarket muffler like my RAM has a sense of occasion every single time I turn the key. I absolutely love it.

I agree, the Silverado is much better looker in person, especially with a Trail Boss package. That's why you see so many Trail Boss Silverados, it looks good but also accessible because it's an off-road package like the FX4 in the F150, not an actual model like the Rebel. True, that Eaton G80 limited slip isn't a true locker, but it works ok for the most part, just not as good as the RAMs elocker.

The interior is the weak link, but that's being fixed on the next model year. It could be temping after that, though I think the Rebel is probably the best looking overall stock truck on the market and the 5.7L Hemi is great on it's own. But to keep moving forward, lets get that 6.4L in there!

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be nice (obviously not necessary) if they gave the top trims (Limited/Longhorn) some bump in performance like Ford does with their F150. I'm sure they could get 425 out of this 5.7 with minor mods.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 6.4 392 powered Ram 1500 Laramie or Laramie with Limited options with night edition is what I truly wanted in the first place before purchasing my 2021 Ram 1500 5.7. I do not want a lifted and supercharged TRX, I want a naturally aspirated 6.4 with reinforced frame/chassis and upgraded components that can handle the drivetrain in a standard height, super comfortable truck like the one I have. I drive between 3500-5000 miles monthly and really enjoy my smooth riding truck but I also have a lead foot and race car mentality as I have a built Trans am as well as a supercharged 2000 Cherokee XJ for off-roading. I’d much prefer a 6.4 Ram 1500 that has air suspension and tow mode options to trailer my Jeep to the off road parks but also have the option of a low riding, comfortable truck for work as well as the option to take it to the track instead of the Trans am!
I originally was looking at a 2021 Durango SRT for towing and on road comfort for my consistent long drives as I was impressed with my wife’s 2020 Durango GT, but after test driving the Ram a couple times it just made a lot more sense to drive and use this as sometimes I need a 32’ ladder and am in the construction industry as well as some construction hobbies. Plus the interior of the Ram blows the Durango away. If I could have my exact same truck but powered with a 6.4 392 that could handle a lead foot I’d trade mine in for one immediately.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
It would be nice (obviously not necessary) if they gave the top trims (Limited/Longhorn) some bump in performance like Ford does with their F150. I'm sure they could get 425 out of this 5.7 with minor mods.
Needs to be available in the Laramie too, i prefer a loaded out laramie with sport hood over the limited or longhorn.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Highly doubt the idea of a 392 Ram. SRT was just axed on Friday. Stellantis will go the way of Hybrids and EV’s. Hellcat is probs going in the next 2 years and 5.7 Hemi’s in the next 5-10 years.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll get some flack. IMO it’s very simple. 1500s sell well the way they are. The cars are sold on performance, trucks aren’t. With the ZF in the 4th gens now upgraded ZF in 5th gens with 3.92s your looking at a very quick truck. To the point of fighting not other truck manufacturers but it’s own cars.....
I say this as more I’ve dug into what peeps are doing with 1500 in last few years is pretty sick. 12-11 second 4x4 crew cab trucks most/all daily drivers. With still stock lower N/A 5.7 block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/