5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will car wash damage my 2020 ram 1500?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a long handled car wash body brush. Then a small brush for the rims and tires. I don't get my hands wet washing the cars. I got a large bucket and fill it up with warm water from the hose. Wheels and tires first them the body gets washed in that order.

I have a mixing valve coming out of the house where I wash the cars. I turn on the hot inside so out of the hose is warm water. I don't like cold hands washing the cars. I was using the car wash but they charge you $20 and they miss a lot. I end up using towels after to wipe the rims and exhaust tips off, plus the bumpers and under the doors are still dirty..
I notice the Silverado seemed to rust out faster than normal so I contribute that to the machine car wash.

Now I wash them by hand again if the outside temp is over 25 degrees out. With the warm water you can finish before it freezes. Then I use a battery leaf blower to blow if off then chase it with 1 towel. Then I park it into a 45 degree heated garage to final wipe it down if I want to.

Waxed the truck Sunday and it looks nice. Raining today to go to work naturally. I can't have a nice day to drive a just waxed vehicle. LOL

I like working on cars and hate freezing weather so that's the reason I added a heater in the garage. I got it on a cold thermostat so I keep the garage at 45 or so year round. It keeps the snowblowers and cars from freezing when they get wet after a car wash. Snowblowers can thaw out for the next time I need them.
If I want to work on something I turn the heat up and remove the jacket to work on what I want to.
I keep my garage set at 50 degrees in winter. 45 is still chilly going out in the garage to do something quick. Not long enough to turn up the thermostat, but long enough you would get cold being out there if it was colder.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I keep my garage set at 50 degrees in winter. 45 is still chilly going out in the garage to do something quick. Not long enough to turn up the thermostat, but long enough you would get cold being out there if it was colder.
That's chilly too. If I turn off my garage heat, it stays at about 45°. I keep it at ~60° all winter long.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's chilly too. If I turn off my garage heat, it stays at about 45°. I keep it at ~60° all winter long.
Despite my garage being fully insulated, it will get into low 40s without the heater on. 50 feels comfortable, but then again, I wear shorts and t-shirts year rounds and don't wear a coat/jacket most of the time unless I'm going to be outside for a long period of time, or it's really windy.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if it gets too cold in the garage, my 1950 International Harvester beer fridge will freeze my drinks unless I turn it off

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Despite my garage being fully insulated, it will get into low 40s without the heater on. 50 feels comfortable, but then again, I wear shorts and t-shirts year rounds and don't wear a coat/jacket most of the time unless I'm going to be outside for a long period of time, or it's really windy.
I don't wear a jacket very often, unless it's windy. Most of the winter, I wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans. If I'm moving around in the garage and generating some body heat, 50° is plenty warm. Otherwise, I like it a little warmer.

Islander

Reaction score
If your worried about swirl marks and little scratches you really should not have a truck. That's the whole point of having a truck is for using it.
Good point...but they still bug me...found one on my new truck this morning and had to polish it out...wife thinks I've lost it :)

Attachments

• 20220502_101528.jpg
    20220502_101528.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 38

klotz50

Reaction score
How did it rip the board off? I always deploy mine. Plus with the airbag suspension I raise it to the highest setting to better get to the underneath. Just curious what got caught to do that kind of damage in your scenario.
A large chunk of road debris hit my right rear hinge and shattered it. 200 for the part. :(

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I picked up a Pressure Washer and Soap Cannon. Now I just have to get it back from my Boss that Borrowed it!

I also want a detailer to go over it then put on the Ceramic/Graphene coating.

Malodave

Attachments

• 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_2.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yup. Ran mine through the carwash again today. It has been a few days. Some rain made the dust collect up on it and a bird crapped on the hood so I got it all sparkling clean again. Probably hit it again on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread