5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will car wash damage my 2020 ram 1500?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It can absolutely be on the site, but needs to be put in a section that’s known to be “nsfw”-fiendly.

Here’s a scenario:
Your female boss walks behind you while you are browsing the forum on your break (which is ok with company policy), interprets that image as you objectifying women, and raises a complaint with HR (or some other variation of whatever she is thinking in her mind). It’s best to not leave the door open for those problems.
Scenario where I work:
Since my boss is male, it would be HR (bosses wife), walks up behind me and sees me browsing the forum while not on break or anything, interprets that image as objectifying women. She rolls her eyes and shakes her head. Boss sees this and says "I don't want to know, you handle it." She tells me she is going to report me to the office administrator (my wife). She does. My wife rolls her eyes and shakes her head and says "I know, he's a pig." We go back to work after I post something about how 3.21 gears are for girls trucks.

@JoeCo , @SnowBlaZR2 if you two don't settle down and play nice @djevox is going to turn this forum around!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If your worried about swirl marks and little scratches you really should not have a truck. That's the whole point of having a truck is for using it.
I use my truck as a truck more than most/all and there's not a single scratch or swirl mark on it.

Owning a truck doesn't mean you have to treat it like ****.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I headed out today to get tires rotated and balanced again at Discount Tire since it has been a while. I got in and it was just a yellow dirty mess from the last rain and the steady layering of pollen.

Man, a nice day out it took almost 25 minutes to wash it with the line.

Warning! Graphic images! @SnowBlaZR2 you might want to cover your eyes.

Sudsy harsh chemicals and chamies coming my way to drag across the truck.

20220430_111312.jpg

Spinning, whirling scrubbers running down the sides!
20220430_111341.jpg

Sparkling shiny hood and truck!
20220430_112100.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We're in Ohio. Did a hand wash today. Gallon of distilled water, some ONR, and 30 minutes of my time.

Not sure what I'm going to do now because I'm supposed to have frostbite and no time left in the day to do anything else.

BigD

Reaction score
To each their own I guess. My neighbor spends every Saturday washing & waxing vehicles, but has no kids & lives with mom. I spend Saturdays running errands & doing stuff with my kids. Sundays are church & rest b4 the work week starts again. I pay $25/month at Tommy's Car Wash for unlimited washes. Does a great job. Sure I got some swirl marks when the sun is beating down on it, but I got some scratches from deer hunting & cutting down our Christmas tree last year too. Oh well, it's a truck. Not a Ferrari. That being said, I'd probably never buy a black vehicle again. My wifes granite Kia Sorento doesn't show any swirl marks. Love that color, but didn't want 2 vehicles the exact same color. Silver is the best color for not showing scratches, but my last Ram was silver, so I wanted something different.

BigD

Reaction score
And this is why you see 5-10 year old trucks driving around with rusted out fenders and rocker panels.
No, u see that because people never wash them. I've had trucks 7 years living in Minnesota without one spot of rust, & they use a ton of salt around here !!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No, u see that because people never wash them. I've had trucks 7 years living in Minnesota without one spot of rust, & they use a ton of salt around here !!
How many trucks in that 7 years? If you rely on auto washes to maintain your vehicle, it's absolutely going to rust.

BigD

Reaction score
How many trucks in that 7 years? If you rely on auto washes to maintain your vehicle, it's absolutely going to rust.
Lived in Minnesota 44 years. Last 2 trucks never had 1 spot of rust. Had one for 7 yrs, 1 for 6 years. Never hand wash. Always use a car wash with brushes. Touchless do a crappy job & don't even get the vehicle clean.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lived in Minnesota 44 years. Last 2 trucks never had 1 spot of rust.
oh-sure-john-candy.gif

BigD

Reaction score
Yep it's true. All those wasted hours handwashing your rig could've been used doing something more productive

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep it's true. All those wasted hours handwashing your rig could've been used doing something more productive
Nah, I like my paint.

Lol, you're talking about the body aren't you? Even the Fords come with a 5 year warranty against corrosion. 7 years isn't impressive.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use my truck as a truck more than most/all and there's not a single scratch or swirl mark on it.

Owning a truck doesn't mean you have to treat it like ****.
It's not possible to have scratch free or swirl mark free paint if you've ever touched it with anything. The act of hand washing it puts micro scratches into the paint. They may not be very noticeable, but they're there.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lived in Minnesota 44 years. Last 2 trucks never had 1 spot of rust. Had one for 7 yrs, 1 for 6 years. Never hand wash. Always use a car wash with brushes. Touchless do a crappy job & don't even get the vehicle clean.
Not true. We have a touchless car wash that's as good or better than any brush-type car wash. It has a much better undercarriage wash too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not true. We have a touchless car wash that's as good or better than any brush-type car wash. It has a much better undercarriage wash too.
Touchless car washes are only as good as the wax/sealant/coating on the truck.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

I doubt that. I sold off my 2012 Frontier and bought this 2021 Ram. Despite the dings and dents from deer strikes, door dings and the occasional accident (lol) it had no rust.

Here in VA outside of DC when it calls for a chance of snow on Friday, Monday they are spraying brine on the roads. Salt trucks dump so much salt during a flurry you are questioning traction because you don't know if that is a layer if icy snow or just brine and salt mix an inch thick at the intersection.

Trust me, the Frontier never saw the luxury of a hand wash. So I would say as long as you do something to get salt off the vehicle and don't let it sit, you will help stop rust.

One caveat. Unless it's a Jeep TJ. You could dip one of those in cosmoline and seal it in a vat of oil. Somehow it would still rust.

Well yeah but what else do you want to talk about? How big of tire will fit without rubbing?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Touchless car washes are only as good as the wax/sealant/coating on the truck.
That's not true either. In the last 4-5 years that I owned my 13 year old Tundra, I waxed it once. It still came out spotless every time I ran it through that wash. I will say, the other touchless car wash in town sucks. I got a free wash there with an oil change...it was worth every penny that I paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread