5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will car wash damage my 2020 ram 1500?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not possible to have scratch free or swirl mark free paint if you've ever touched it with anything. The act of hand washing it puts micro scratches into the paint. They may not be very noticeable, but they're there.
And people wonder why I say they don't know how to do a proper handwash. :LOL:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I would say as long as you do something to get salt off the vehicle and don't let it sit, you will help stop rust.
Sure, it'll help. But I'd be very surprised if there wasn't rust on the undercarriage and inner panels sooner rather than later.
Well yeah but what else do you want to talk about? How big of tire will fit without rubbing?
For real. This is some good conversation. Might as well be sitting around a fire with some beers, shooting the ****.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not true either. In the last 4-5 years that I owned my 13 year old Tundra, I waxed it once. It still came out spotless every time I ran it through that wash. I will say, the other touchless car wash in town sucks. I got a free wash there with an oil change...it was worth every penny that I paid for it.
Even the best touch free wash around me, I can run my truck through, when it's real dirty from going down gravel roads to my parents house, and while it "looks" clean when done, if you took a microfiber and some rinsless cleaner, there is still a film of dirt on the whole truck

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep it's true. All those wasted hours handwashing your rig could've been used doing something more productive

It takes me about 30 minutes max to hand wash my truck and dry it, I enjoy detailing my own vehicles, but I get a lot of people probably don't. I do also see a lot of neighbors that pay to have thier lawns cut, thier cars washed, and their dogs walked only to have to go to go spend time at the gym to get exercise.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Even the best touch free wash around me, I can run my truck through, when it's real dirty from going down gravel roads to my parents house, and while it "looks" clean when done, if you took a microfiber and some rinsless cleaner, there is still a film of dirt on the whole truck
Not this one. I bring a microfiber cloth with me because the truck is still pretty wet, even after the blow dry cycle. My cloth never had any dirt on it. The wheels don't get very clean, but that's no different than the brush-type car washes.

Dewey

Reaction score
You can’t fix stupid. 😆

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
This whole debate is ridiculous to me. Despite your best efforts, **** happens, Slight damage from a car wash is the least of my concerns. I use my RAM to do truck things often, take it camping, mild off-roading, haul things with it, etc..., yet have luckily not done any damage during these activities. Is my truck in perfect condition? Nope, but pretty damn close!

I am far more concerned about other drivers, careless kids, idiots in parking lots, rogue road debris, etc., than I am about a car wash potentially causing minor damage to my clear coat.

I use my truck as a truck more than most/all and there's not a single scratch or swirl mark on it.
I call BS on this one!! Your truck may not have any swirls or scratches, but that ABSOLUTELEY means you do not truly use it to do truck things as you claim. No, doing truck things does not mean you have to treat it like
****, but **** happens when you are doing truck things. It is just the way it is. Just driving down the road, your paint will see some damage, let alone driving through the woods, off road, or parking in a parking lot where other people are.

Now go ahead and blast away, since we have all seen whose thoughts you really see as relevant (hint: only yours). I am ready to hear how your magic forcefield has protected your truck from even a scratch while you use your truck as a truck more than most/all, as you say. ;)

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have time to yammer on about car washes here, but not to think about how to spray water under a truck?

Right, which I've said probably a dozen times now. It does an acceptable job for you. That doesn't mean it does a good job.

I've also said repeatedly that if there were an undercarriage only option, I'd probably use it. But, the rest of the crap isn't worth trashing my paint when I can just get a little cold and spray it in a bay.

I don't know what else to call it. You're "unwilling to work or use energy" to spray the undercarriage. Just using words at this point. Don't get offended by that.

And contradicting what you might believe, I do know what it's like to have little free time. I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps. I finished grad school while working a full-time, salaried position.

They do work. It's weird to argue that they don't.

Northeast. One of the coldest and snowiest parts of the state. We just recently had snow, and it's almost May.

Yep so much time I couldn't even get on here yesterday to respond to you, oh the horror of not getting onto the forums every single day.:eek:

I would keep responding but honestly didn't make it past the first line this time, and I see you've found others to play with in my absence (that's the part that really hurts) and although you've got all the free time, I wouldn't want to overload your debate schedule. You certainly win the award for being able to out debate others on the internet that have things to do, congrats.

We actually have the rest of the day for ourselves for once, so I'm going to choose to take the dogs for a long walk with the family and then we are going to relax for a change and watch some movies. Actively choosing to be lazy here, cause it's actually nice today and the roads are nearly salt free, too bad I can't count on having free time the same time as the weather being good and the roads not being caked with salt every week! Good thing my truck is already clean and salt free anyway!

@JoeCo , @SnowBlaZR2 if you two don't settle down and play nice @djevox is going to turn this forum around!

Lol here I have to agree with @SnowBlaZR2 and ask who wasn't playing nice? Certainly nothing to shut a thread down about!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yep so much time I couldn't even get on here yesterday to respond to you, oh the horror of not getting onto the forums every single day.:eek:

I would keep responding but honestly didn't make it past the first line this time, and I see you've found others to play with in my absence (that's the part that really hurts) and although you've got all the free time, I wouldn't want to overload your debate schedule. You certainly win the award for being able to out debate others on the internet that have things to do, congrats.

We actually have the rest of the day for ourselves for once, so I'm going to choose to take the dogs for a long walk with the family and then we are going to relax for a change and watch some movies. Actively choosing to be lazy here, cause it's actually nice today and the roads are nearly salt free, too bad I can't count on having free time the same time as the weather being good and the roads not being caked with salt every week! Good thing my truck is already clean and salt free anyway!

Lol here I have to agree with @SnowBlaZR2 and ask who wasn't playing nice? Certainly nothing to shut a thread down about!
No, I don't think anyone is shutting anything down.

Heck, I just pipe in because I know @SnowBlaZR2 and I agree on some stuff and not on other. In the end I really don't think he gives a rat's turd how I wash my truck, as i dont for how others do it. It just makes for fun argument. 😄

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I call BS on this one!! Your truck may not have any swirls or scratches, but that ABSOLUTELEY means you do not truly use it to do truck things as you claim. No, doing truck things does not mean you have to treat it like
****, but **** happens when you are doing truck things. It is just the way it is. Just driving down the road, your paint will see some damage, let alone driving through the woods, off road, or parking in a parking lot where other people are.
Nearly 90% of the miles on my truck are from towing and hauling. That includes trails to campsites, hauling firewood, etc while we've been essentially living in our camper for the last couple months.

But no, I don't play in the mud with my truck because I'm not a toddler. :LOL:
Now go ahead and blast away, since we have all seen whose thoughts you really see as relevant (hint: only yours). I am ready to hear how your magic forcefield has protected your truck from even a scratch while you use your truck as a truck more than most/all, as you say. ;)
Damn right I'm going to ignore anyone who pretends you can't take care of your vehicle just because it's a truck.

It's not magic and it's not that hard to figure out if you want to put in the effort.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

There you go again, spending precious time that you don't have ranting about all the things you do because you're the only person with things to do.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
But no, I don't play in the mud with my truck because I'm not a toddler.
Never said a word about playing in the mud, and have never done so in my truck, though I don't think there is anything wrong with it. :)

Last thing I will add to this thread (because there is no point in arguing with people who think they are right about EVERYTHING!)

ANYONE that drives thousands of miles, towing or not, and claims that their paint is PERFECT, is either a liar or deluded!!!! As I said, just driving down the road, your paint WILL get scratches, dings, dents, etc. People are welcome to make these ridiculous claims, and I will continue to laugh at the absurdity of them.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Nevermind the truckwash garbled, how is he the Fuel Economy Champion in a ram?
That's what this fine thread is about. Let's not get confused! 😆

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never said a word about playing in the mud, and have never done so in my truck, though I don't think there is anything wrong with it. :)

Last thing I will add to this thread (because there is no point in arguing with people who think they are right about EVERYTHING!)

ANYONE that drives thousands of miles, towing or not, and claims that their paint is PERFECT, is either a liar or deluded!!!! As I said, just driving down the road, your paint WILL get scratches, dings, dents, etc. People are welcome to make these ridiculous claims, and I will continue to laugh at the absurdity of them.
Where are you driving that your truck gets scratched up driving it on the road?

Speaking of laughing at absurd claims...

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I didn’t know towing or driving your truck on the road will make it have scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t know towing or driving your truck on the road will make it have scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or parking in a parking lot where other people are. True you can have some idiot slam thier door into the side of your truck or back into you but you can minimize the risk your choice of parking spots.

Bob.

Reaction score
Question for you winter up north guys. So when it’s the nice season are you still using those car washes or do you switch to handwashing again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I purchased a long handled car wash body brush. Then a small brush for the rims and tires. I don't get my hands wet washing the cars. I got a large bucket and fill it up with warm water from the hose. Wheels and tires first them the body gets washed in that order.

I have a mixing valve coming out of the house where I wash the cars. I turn on the hot inside so out of the hose is warm water. I don't like cold hands washing the cars. I was using the car wash but they charge you $20 and they miss a lot. I end up using towels after to wipe the rims and exhaust tips off, plus the bumpers and under the doors are still dirty..
I notice the Silverado seemed to rust out faster than normal so I contribute that to the machine car wash.

Now I wash them by hand again if the outside temp is over 25 degrees out. With the warm water you can finish before it freezes. Then I use a battery leaf blower to blow if off then chase it with 1 towel. Then I park it into a 45 degree heated garage to final wipe it down if I want to.

Waxed the truck Sunday and it looks nice. Raining today to go to work naturally. I can't have a nice day to drive a just waxed vehicle. LOL

I like working on cars and hate freezing weather so that's the reason I added a heater in the garage. I got it on a cold thermostat so I keep the garage at 45 or so year round. It keeps the snowblowers and cars from freezing when they get wet after a car wash. Snowblowers can thaw out for the next time I need them.
If I want to work on something I turn the heat up and remove the jacket to work on what I want to.

Users who are viewing this thread