5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so much hate for MDS and auto stop/start?

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Unfortunately, auto start/stop has been so shoddily implemented by so many other manufacturers, I wouldn’t blame anyone for dismissing it immediately. Using the battery/starter is annoying as hell, and frankly, if Ram had used that on our trucks, I would have been annoyed by it as well.

That being said, if folks are considering a new Ram, I would encourage them to test drive one w/ eTorque, to see how well auto start/stop can be implemented.

I don’t really have strong feelings about MDS, but I am a huge fan of the eTorque auto start/stop implementation.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

kgurtsak

Reaction score
I specifically avoided eTorque and stop/start on my Hemi

1) payload cautious. Didn’t want the 90 lb reduction in payload

2) shutting off while waiting to turn left is dangerous

3) I plan to keep this truck past 80k and don’t want to potentially waste $1-2k on the 48V battery replacement.

I haven't seen a battery that costs that much for the truck....id there something I am missing? My quick googling I saw around $300 for a battery.

Ramjack

Reaction score
That’s really not bad. Early posters were worried about some imagined $5K+ cost. I imagine the cost will only come down over time.
My concern is that Ram will stop building these (eTorque vehicles) soon. They will move on to something else. Then we could end up owning "those oddball eTorques" that were only made for 4-5 years and for which the unique parts (i.e. generator unit and 48V battery) are scarce and expensive. At least those parts are covered for 8 yrs / 80k miles.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My concern is that Ram will stop building these soon. They will move on to something else. Then we could end up owning "those oddball eTorques" that were only made for 4-5 years and for which the unique parts (i.e. generator unit and 48V battery) are scarce and expensive. At least those parts are covered for 8 yrs / 80k miles.
That’s a real possibility, I’ll admit. But I think there’s a better than even chance that a Taiwanese replacement (likely better made and cheaper than OEM) will appear on the market…

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My concern is that Ram will stop building these soon. They will move on to something else. Then we could end up owning "those oddball eTorques" that were only made for 4-5 years and for which the unique parts (i.e. generator unit and 48V battery) are scarce and expensive. At least those parts are covered for 8 yrs / 80k miles.

eTorque is just a marketing name for the 48V system, FCA/Ram doesn’t actually build them.

They purchase from Continental what is really called Eco-Drive for the 2.0 and 3.6 while the Hemi’s air cooled system comes from an Italian company who name escapes me while using a battery from LG Chem

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What’s the price for a new ET generator? I imagine the price of the 48v battery packs will stay pretty high until the aftermarket companies start producing. I’m sure you won’t find duralast ones for a few years for sure. That’s one reason I didn’t want ET. The benefits aren’t good enough for me.

Ramjack

Reaction score
eTorque is just a marketing name for the 48V system, FCA/Ram doesn’t actually build them.

They purchase from Continental what is really called Eco-Drive for the 2.0 and 3.6 while the Hemi’s air cooled system comes from an Italian company who name escapes me while using a battery from LG Chem
Understood. Ram (or any automaker) doesn't make much of anything anymore. They assemble. When I said "stop building" I meant I'm concerned that Ram will stop building eTorque vehicles soon.

Last edited:

Ramjack

Reaction score
What’s the price for a new ET generator? I imagine the price of the 48v battery packs will stay pretty high until the aftermarket companies start producing. I’m sure you won’t find duralast ones for a few years for sure. That’s one reason I didn’t want ET. The benefits aren’t good enough for me.
OEM generator = $798; OEM alternator = $319

1623122050832.png

mmcbeat

Reaction score
Just saw that Ford trucks and SUV’s with V8 engines will not have the ESS feature. Chip shortage issue.

bucolic

Reaction score
At first, the Etourqe took a bit getting used to and it was odd to have the truck shut off. A couple of times my heart went into my throat as I was thinking "Oh great! What's wrong with the truck!" when it shut off on me. Now when I drive my girlfriend's car and it doesn't shut off I feel like it's so wasteful sitting there burning gas, spewing exhaust, and idling the engine creating wear on it needlessly! It almost seems like driving a car without power steering (younger members probably never have!).

I wonder what the cumulative savings would be in gasoline consumption and how much reduction in pollution would occur if ALL vehicles shut off at idle. I mean look at this shot which is just a small cross-section of all the cars sitting idling across the world at any given time.

Traffic-jam.png

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At first, the Etourqe took a bit getting used to and it was odd to have the truck shut off. A couple of times my heart went into my throat as I was thinking "Oh great! What's wrong with the truck!" when it shut off on me. Now when I drive my girlfriend's car and it doesn't shut off I feel like it's so wasteful sitting there burning gas, spewing exhaust, and idling the engine creating wear on it needlessly! It almost seems like driving a car without power steering (younger members probably never have!).

I wonder what the cumulative savings would be in gasoline consumption and how much reduction in pollution would occur if ALL vehicles shut off at idle. I mean look at this shot which is just a small cross-section of all the cars sitting idling across the world at any given time.

View attachment 96793
Holy ****, glad not to live there. That looks like a hot summer day, most of those people will disable start/stop to keep the AC going. People care about the environment right up to the point when they become uncomfortable or inconvienced

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Holy ****, glad not to live there. That looks like a hot summer day, most of those people will disable start/stop to keep the AC going. People care about the environment right up to the point when they become uncomfortable or inconvenienced
Ain't that the truth!

I used to work in Santa Cruz, California, where old VWs go to die. They were consistently the dirtiest cars I smog checked. And as soon as you told the hippie that his VW bus with Earthfirst stickers failed, he'd start hollering about the diesel trucks. Seems that everyone else is responsible for pollution, not him, despite the proof in front of him.

Second example: working at Toyota dealer. High-mileage Prius comes in for service with a CEL blazing. No mention of it on the repair order. I checked to see what it was, just to cover my @. It's a catalyst efficiency code. Tell the greenie with the hybrid car what it is, and he says, "Yeah, I know. Too expensive. And I don't have to get smogged anyway, so I don't worry about it." He didn't then, but he does now!

Ramjack

Reaction score

View attachment 96793
Only if all those cars are at a sustained, dead stop. If they are moving at all, they'd be running.

Users who are viewing this thread