5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so many black wheels?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not at all, it’s actually pretty good. (y)

I wouldn’t have thought to use PowerPoint, I’ve done this in paint though lol. Brute force style lol

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I believe black wheels -- and blackout rim -- is a generational thing.

Those of us past a certain age remember when cars came with stamped steel wheels and hubcaps.. If a guy lost or removed the hubcaps, all you saw was black wheels and the car looked pretty trashy. And for whatever reason, when someone' s 60 series tire on a mag wheel went flat, it always seemed to get replaced with a tall skinny whitewall on a black rim. Forever.

Blackout trim reminds me of all the POS hotrods of my high school days, where the car was painted primer black and never seemed to get finished. Same guys who would either install a huge toilet Holley carb on a stock engine and drown it or a high lift cam that wouldn't run right until over 6000 rpm (which the rest of the engine couldn't take anyway) so that it loped and misfired at idle, leaving a smelly, eyewatering hydrocarbon cloud in its wake.

The younger generation doesn't have these negative connotations so they think black looks cool. Maybe it does.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. Doesn't work for me.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you guys think this truck for example would look better with chrome wheels?

Attachments

• 43B75A65-E516-484A-925C-050B224A47E8.jpeg
    43B75A65-E516-484A-925C-050B224A47E8.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 157
R

Rob5589

So you guys think this truck for example would look better with chrome wheels?
Something milled on the wheel to add some contrast would look, IMO, better than the solid black. Polished aluminum would look bad azz but, they are a pita to keep them looking good. I also come from more of an off road background so the 20+", super wide, super deep offsets don't do anything for me either.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
interesting. I hate flat black wheels with any kind of contrast element. Looks cheap and awful IMO. Now the gloss black wheels, like these in the blade cut or like SOTA death metal is legit.

It could look killer on the right set of forged wheels, but yea I’m not speeding 4K on wheels and polishing them every week. I haven’t seen many chrome wheels that would look good, maybe the ones I posted before in the same size.

The big wheel and deep lip is definitely a generational thing.

And I assume this obvious, but this truck is strictly for looks. Thus the wheels...

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
100% yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you put on it? Just curious.

I think it would be cool with an old school 16x10 or 12 M/T wheel but being forced to run 18s sort of takes away that type of image to me. Plus I have to run 20s with the lift so even worse for an off-road type of look.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like darker wheels, but not always black. Gun metal, anthracite and black are my favorite.

What I can't stand is chrome. It just makes a vehicle look cheap to me. But greys, dark greys and black just really appeal to me. Not just recently, even in my teens, and I'm 45 now.

MQQSE

Reaction score
I'm old but I do not like chrome. At the same time I believe it's all how you put things together. I've seen some sick trucks that had some chrome but mostly dark or blacked out emblems and wheels. I love a completely blacked out truck at the same time. Most chrome now days is just too much and the chrome is done very cheaply. Again, it's how you tastefully put the truck together and some chrome can be in the mix. One thing that drives me crazy is all blacked out wheels with cheap looking chrome lug nuts. If you're going to go all blacked out wheels you MUST change the lug nuts out to black. It makes all the difference.

MQQSE

Reaction score
What would you put on it? Just curious.

I think it would be cool with an old school 16x10 or 12 M/T wheel but being forced to run 18s sort of takes away that type of image to me. Plus I have to run 20s with the lift so even worse for an off-road type of look.
I like the stock Rebel wheels all blacked out (2020 Rebel wheels) the best. Even better than aftermarket wheels.

Gs72174

Reaction score
To each their own. I’m in my 40’s and I don’t want any chrome or anything shiny on my vehicles. When I think about it, even my mountain bike is matte black with black wheels. I also have a blacked out Harley and the Ram I’m looking at is going to have the black appearance package. I used to like chrome but somewhere along the line, I went the opposite direction.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I’m fairly happy with mine. Not black. But the selection of wheels available for our trucks kinda sucks. Was very hard to find something original.

I like these. Who makes them? What size ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread