5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why so many black wheels?

rsmeanie

Reaction score
I know I can't be alone here. While searching for new wheels, most of the ones for trucks seem to be black. I can't stand them. It just blends in with the tire. On a black truck if you're going for the murdered out look, fine. But everything thing else just looks blah IMHO.

R

Rob5589

Agree. Kind of surprised that the "blacked out/murdered out" look is still going strong. Seems so 10 years ago. Although black wheels do real look good on certain colors.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I'm not a big fan of black wheels, from more then 15 feet away you can't even see the design or size of the wheel is all blends together with the tire. I prefer a polished aluminum wheel given the choice.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are not alone!! I think black wheels look awful. I'll even take it one step further, as I also don't care for blacked out trucks either. Black truck with black badges and black grill and black side steps....,etc. No thanks!! Looks terrible IMO. A little bit of chrome, polished aluminum, stainless steel, etc. breaks up the monotiny. I think it may be a generational thing? I think a lot of younger guys like the blackout look. I'm in my mid-forties, and I'm not a fan!

That said, it works out great for someone like myself who bought a beautiful set of brand new Laramie painted/ polished wheels for my truck because the guy wanted black wheels. Perfect!! Win, win!

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I was going to say, that is why I got the black edition, but they are black and grey... LOL a lot of them are black on the market

JRD

Reaction score
I’m in my mid 40’s and loved blacked out. Hate taking care of it tho, constant washing. I think chrome looks like old man ****. To each their own
Just turned 30 and I agree that I hate chrome. To me the all black looks more aggressive.

Although I have tossed around the idea of getting a dark bronze type wheel if I ever upgrade from the stock ones

R

Rob5589

Just turned 30 and I agree that I hate chrome. To me the all black looks more aggressive.

Although I have tossed around the idea of getting a dark bronze type wheel if I ever upgrade from the stock ones
More aggressive, like the Batmobile ;)

The dark bronze would look really good on a black truck.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've always liked chrome until this truck. This one, it had to be a solid color and then I went with black. Wheels followed but I went with a 2 tone wheel if you will, black with satin spokes. Had to tie in the chrome logos with the wheels.

Next truck, who knows!

spaightlabs

Reaction score
I hate nothing more than outlined white letters on tires (liked 'em fine when I was a kid in the 70's on the 67 RS Camaro) or blinged out shiny rims (one exception - silver/chrome isn't bad on a white truck.) Only thing worse than shiny chrome for wheels is shiny anodized wheels.

Absolutely grew to hate the wheels and tires on my 19 Laramie. It was gonna be $125 to flip the white lettering to the inside and I didn't like how low profile the 275/55 looked so put some 275/65s on her, black sidewall out, and now I don't hate the wheels anymore - I'm just not in love with them....but I can live with them for a while.

Your mileage may vary.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love polished wheels but I think the main reason you see black wheels is because Polished wheels are super expensive and impossible to keep clean on a daily driver or always outside truck, cheap chrome wheels suck visually and pit easily from brake dust and road salt, and black wheels are just easier to maintain all around.

That’s why I typically have them anyway.

There’s also not a lot of great looking chrome wheels in the market at the moment, at least IMO. I mean hostile makes a few, TIS has one or two, and then who else? Akron Lincoln is ok if you like that look but has to be 22”+ or looks wrong.

And some trucks just tend to naturally Lean one way. Most rebels would look out of place with bright flashy wheels. But then like a limited without paint matched bumpers would be sweet with chrome/polished wheels.

And lastly the whole “I hate chrome” non sense that the younger crowd is into. Have to color match everything because chrome is blah blah.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of not seeing many decent chrome wheels, these are pretty solid.

Attachments

• 8398D04A-892B-411A-89E0-89105056E127.png
    8398D04A-892B-411A-89E0-89105056E127.png
    514.2 KB · Views: 174
  • E18ED35F-70BE-4322-9213-90EB39752D42.png
    E18ED35F-70BE-4322-9213-90EB39752D42.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 688EA771-3731-455A-BF2D-D57231D02861.png
    688EA771-3731-455A-BF2D-D57231D02861.png
    551.7 KB · Views: 164

Users who are viewing this thread