5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why So Long To Remote Start?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, I guess you could want to start your truck a few hours ahead of time. My FOB reaches the parking garage under our building at work and I am on the second floor so in general I am good.

I don't think I would need a yearly paid subscription to start it a couple times at best when at the beach. Even then, I typically am not driving it either because my hotel is beachfront or because I couldn't fit it in my luggage on the plane to the island.

How has this not spurned an oil weight panic subject from the people that believe outside air temp affects engine operating temperatures? 🤣😆🤣😆

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
As I said in my previous comment, I wasn't a big fan of the app which is still an accurate statement. Christ, I was standing about 5 feet from the truck and used the app to start it and it took so long I thought it wasn't actually working. I did however like the truck location feature. It is a catch 22 if you will for me because I hate the fact that it knows my GPS location but in the case of someone stealing the truck it would've been easier to find.

mynameisante

Reaction score
I like the app and the few other features it has (lock, unlock, remote start, location, etc.). You can use these from virtually anywhere you have wireless signal. It has come in handy a handful of times when my parents or my wife need to grab something from my truck (usually my son's car seat) while I'm at work or away. Just hit unlock, wait a minute or two, and voila!

My wife is very frugal, but she is the one who talked me into the subscription. If that means anything to anyone lol

6of36

Reaction score
As I said in my previous comment, I wasn't a big fan of the app which is still an accurate statement. Christ, I was standing about 5 feet from the truck and used the app to start it and it took so long I thought it wasn't actually working. I did however like the truck location feature. It is a catch 22 if you will for me because I hate the fact that it knows my GPS location but in the case of someone stealing the truck it would've been easier to find.
They know your location, whether you have the app or not. There was a member who went through disassembling the dash to remove the chip.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They know your location, whether you have the app or not. There was a member who went through disassembling the dash to remove the chip.
I agree and we'll never be able to totally eliminate it but I'd rather not help them do it

6of36

Reaction score
Far from paranoid. There is no way to eliminate it . I just rather not assist them
Yes you can eliminate it. It's a lot of work. And if you have a cell phone, you can be tracked anyway.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yes you can eliminate it. It's a lot of work. And if you have a cell phone, you can be tracked anyway.
Yes I'm aware of that. That's why I said you can eliminate them tracking you. Even if you don't have a cellphone there are camera's everywhere throughout your daily travels. You will never eliminate the surveillance

GR1MREAPER

Reaction score
I had the app and start on my 22 ram and it would start from another state in less than 5 seconds every time. My 2021 ram takes 30-40 seconds… it’s ridiculous. This has nothing to do with cell provider etc.. it’s the difference in app and provider. 15-21 is one company and 22+ is another. XM Sirius Guardian vs ram or whatever. Ram sucks.. my 2019 ford mustang gets the soo and start and unlock for FREE for the life of the vehicle lol. Why we have to pay 5-15 a month for that **** is retarded.

silver billet

Reaction score
I had the app and start on my 22 ram and it would start from another state in less than 5 seconds every time. My 2021 ram takes 30-40 seconds… it’s ridiculous. This has nothing to do with cell provider etc.. it’s the difference in app and provider. 15-21 is one company and 22+ is another. XM Sirius Guardian vs ram or whatever. Ram sucks.. my 2019 ford mustang gets the soo and start and unlock for FREE for the life of the vehicle lol. Why we have to pay 5-15 a month for that **** is retarded.

It probably gets SMSed to some poor dude in India who gets woken up from his sleep, has to turn on his computer, login to FCA corporate network over dialup, wait for the 200 meg html/javascript/css to download, search for user "gr1mreaper" but oops he went to the 2500 page by accident, do it all over on the 1500 page and then finally click the "start truck" button.

That's what you get when you move your software team overseas. 🤷‍♂️

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If close enough to reach my truck in 30 - 40 seconds I can just use the button on the key fob without paying for an app.

GR1MREAPER

Reaction score
If close enough to reach my truck in 30 - 40 seconds I can just use the button on the key fob without paying for an app.
Yeah I am talking about at work where I can’t leave the control room and I’m 300yds away from it in a steel building in the winter. But ya

GR1MREAPER

Reaction score
It probably gets SMSed to some poor dude in India who gets woken up from his sleep, has to turn on his computer, login to FCA corporate network over dialup, wait for the 200 meg html/javascript/css to download, search for user "gr1mreaper" but oops he went to the 2500 page by accident, do it all over on the 1500 page and then finally click the "start truck" button.

That's what you get when you move your software team overseas. 🤷‍♂️
Lol.. probably exactly how it works 😂😂😂

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I am talking about at work where I can’t leave the control room and I’m 300yds away from it in a steel building in the winter. But ya

So unless you are a better than average athlete and depart the building at a dead sprint for that 300 yards your truck will have started long before you reach it anyway. I doubt an extra 30-40 seconds will make much difference in how much the trucks warms in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread