5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why So Long To Remote Start?

DennisY

Reaction score
Why does it take so long to remote start a RAM 1500 (2019 model) using the app? Makes no sense to me. Should happen within seconds. It seems to be the case here whether I have good cell service or poor. A family member's with a different brand vehicle does in fact start within seconds. Mine takes minutes!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Probably ask Uconnect/Sirius Guardian since it is their system. I don't think any of us are going to know the intricate details of how their system works. But if I had to guess it's probably all the hoops that has to jump through to get from your app to the truck. Things like web services, satellite services, databases, etc.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree...OnStar was QUICK...Uconnect can't even unlock quickly let alone start. Biggest reason i decided to not continue paying for the services. I had OnStar and loved it and LOVED calling in for driving directions, talking to a human and having them send the directions right to the truck midflight

U

User_3336

Let's see. A remote start from the APP has to go from your cell phone, to the nearest cell phone tower of your phone provider, then thru about 10 other towers to AT&T (who powers the service) towers, then to the Sirius Guardian/Ram connect servers (where ever they are), initiate the request, THEN bounce the request back thru another 10 cell towers to your truck. HMMM, do we not understand latency?

DennisY

Reaction score
Well, I got an offer for $5/month to renew Uconnect so I went ahead and pulled the trigger, mainly for the few occasions I would like to use remote start. May have been a mistake. If no one here has a magic fix, I'll call them in a few days and see what their story is. Maybe they are bouncing their signals off of Pluto or some non-sense.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Well, I got an offer for $5/month to renew Uconnect so I went ahead and pulled the trigger, mainly for the few occasions I would like to use remote start. May have been a mistake. If no one here has a magic fix, I'll call them in a few days and see what their story is. Maybe they are bouncing their signals off of Pluto or some non-sense.
Wow, $5 per month. Wish they sent me that deal, the best they sent me was $150 per year.

U

User_3336

I get those offers all the time. For $5 a month, but that isn't the "whole package", and I think it was only for 6 months.
I'm not so inclined to go hunt for the offer in email, but they're wanting your credit card # too, hoping you'll forget in 6 months, and they'll charge you the REGULAR monthly rate.

DennisY

Reaction score
I get those offers all the time. For $5 a month, but that isn't the "whole package", and I think it was only for 6 months.
I'm not so inclined to go hunt for the offer in email, but they're wanting your credit card # too, hoping you'll forget in 6 months, and they'll charge you the REGULAR monthly rate.

You're right, it wasn't the whole package but I didn't need/want any of the other things that weren't included. Not sure if it was only for 6 months but if so, that will be that after 6 months! Not paying more than $5/month, especially if it is working so poorly. Hopefully, they will send me a survey about my experience. :)

Could be worse. I am reading online about some of the newer vehicles charging people big bux after an introductory period for stuff like what I will call "enhanced lane assist" and whatnot. Sheesh, before long, we'll be paying by the mile for tires!

23RAM

Reaction score
Let's see. A remote start from the APP has to go from your cell phone, to the nearest cell phone tower of your phone provider, then thru about 10 other towers to AT&T (who powers the service) towers, then to the Sirius Guardian/Ram connect servers (where ever they are), initiate the request, THEN bounce the request back thru another 10 cell towers to your truck.
That's not how cell calls work. When you call a friend across the city, the cell signal does not bounce off 10 towers to get across the city to their phone, it's routed through the phone network to the tower near your friend. When you call a friend across the country, your call is routed across the internet to the phone network near your friend. The only time a tower is used, is for the radio signal to carry the call to/from the cell phones.
HMMM, do we not understand latency?
It's not latency related - it only takes about 50 milliseconds to go from Toronto to LA on the fiber backbone. It's probably a lot of protocols for authentication so you don't start someone else's truck, along with processing time of the server, all depending on how the process works, is the actual delay. The signal transit time would be less than 100ms to start your truck in your own driveway. A lot less if the server is more centrally located. I picked LA as an example because it's one of the furthest points in the southern states from me, and it's still less than 100ms there and back.

DennisY

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, 23RAM. Definitely, the originator and the destination need to be authenticated. This process shouldn't take long at all. The same process has to take place when making a simple cell phone call. It also takes place with virtually any secure IP transmissions these days, including such things as network television to the affiliates! So something is awry with Uconnect.

6of36

Reaction score
Try reading. It states it could take up to 1 minute.

U

User_3336

Could be worse. I am reading online about some of the newer vehicles charging people big bux after an introductory period for stuff like what I will call "enhanced lane assist" and whatnot. Sheesh, before long, we'll be paying by the mile for tires!

FORD charges extra for Navigation after the first 6 months (even on a NAV equipped truck).

I'm not positive, but I think Nissan does the same thing.

U

User_3336

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, 23RAM. Definitely, the originator and the destination need to be authenticated. This process shouldn't take long at all. The same process has to take place when making a simple cell phone call. It also takes place with virtually any secure IP transmissions these days, including such things as network television to the affiliates! So something is awry with Uconnect.
We're at the mercy of AT&T and Siruis.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan of the app services when I had my free trial period so I wound up padding on renewing it. I constantly get emails about renewing but I wont

23RAM

Reaction score
Personally I don't find it that hard to use the fob. I don't need to start my truck with my phone.
The only benefit I can think of is wanting to start your truck when the key fob is too far away to work - like maybe in a large parking lot or similar. I prefer to be nearby if remote starting, so no benefit for me.

RAL

Reaction score
I find that the wait is not a big deal once you expect it. I will use it on occasion to start the truck when I am walking a fair distance out of an event and the truck has been sitting in the sun. Very nice not to have the truck be 1000 degrees when you get in. And the auto locate feature is nice when I am returning to the airport and want to make sure the truck is still there. The location service works internationally too, which is kind of cool. So I can to some extent check on the truck if I am overseas for work. It is a pure toy, but I like it.

DennisY

Reaction score
Could it be just using the cheapskate plan of $5/month?

Personally I don't find it that hard to use the fob. I don't need to start my truck with my phone.

No, mine was slow (minutes to start, not a minute, MINUTES!) even when I had the free trial years ago. That said, I generally agree with you about the FOB. The reason remote start was attractive to me was in cases of very hot summer days. Example: yesterday was 105 degrees and we were having lunch at a restaurant. I was able to remotely start the truck five minutes before leaving the restaurant so that the truck was cooled down when we got to it. We also go to Palm Springs regularly in the summer. Remote Start will be getting a work out while we are there. :)

dannydyn

Reaction score
Could it be just using the cheapskate plan of $5/month?

I assume you guys don't live there it gets really hot or cold? Nothing better than being able to remote start it from outside keyfob range to come to a nice and toasty truck instead of an ice brick.

Works great when I'm at a late season NFL game and the truck is parked a 1/4 mile away, or on winter weekdays as I'm a couple of train stops away from my commuter lot. Those are just 2 scenarios where remote start from the app has its advantage.

Same thing for summer time. Nothing better than remote-starting it when you start to pack your stuff on the beach. By the time you get to your truck it's nice and chilled instead of being a pressure cooker that's been sitting for hours in the scorching sun.

Users who are viewing this thread