5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Laramie over Big Horn?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laramie is standard with led headlights, vented seats, and passenger power seats.

Other things that ram has taken away from the bighorn over the years is the rambox, and some of the fancy electronics.

Just stick with your must haves and just go from there.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My bad. there was something that the BTS offered first on the 24 MY. Was it UC5 12 inch maybe? I remember the 23 I looked at just had the regular 8 inch, no nav.
The BTS package has all available options for the BigHorn, plus the BTS package stuff like the seats, LED lighting, ORG, side steps, all weather mats, special colors, and flag decal.

RAL

Reaction score
Respectfully, asking strangers on the internet is not the way to investigate this properly. Go find both trucks and look at them and drive them for a while. See what suits your needs. Also see what suits your budget - if financing do the math on the payments. My grandfather had a saying that the problem with new cars is the payments stick around a lot longer than the new car smell. Nicely equipped, both are really beautiful trucks. I grew up with trucks that had rubber floors, AM radio, and no AC. We have it good today. And I am as guilty if not more guilty than others of talking myself into options that you do not need but that drive up the cost of the truck. These have now become seriously expensive vehicles and if there is a way to get what you want and save thousands, I would take it.

By way of disclosure, I have a Laramie that Is fully loaded: pano, level 2, full driving nannies, extended range tank, trailer brake controller, 3.92, etc. Great truck but the kids and wife found it on the lot and so I never had a real chance to find something more reasonable in price before they ganged up on me. At least it wasn’t a limited . . . .

Good luck with the search.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I had a loaded Ford Ranger with all the bells and whistles that I traded for my Big Horn. I had all of the tech stuff turned off on the Ranger. The Big Horn is equipped just right for my needs.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
Didn't think about the LED lights and would prefer them.
Was hoping there were feedback that the one set of seats were more comfortable over the other due to the material.
Or some feature like the LED lights that I missed.
My wife prefers the Laramie, but you place any two items next to each other she has an knack for picking the more expensive item even without knowing the price. :cool:
The search will continue with the Advanced Safety Group as the primary but if I stumble across a BH with all the other features, I may jump on that.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife loves the Laramie because it has the power passenger seat for her height challenged body. Personally, I've always preferred the Big Horn as I don't need all the bells and whistles but more importantly because it comes with cloth seats - I've never been a big fan of leather seats and yes, I'm old so cloth or vinyl is what I grew up with in my day.

I've found the Larmie leather driver seat looks worn/broken in after a year or two (this is just a property of most leather seats) whereas the cloth seats still look good after a few years. When you have a situation like we do where typically the vehicle is occupied only by the driver, you end up with a worn in driver's seat and a passenger seat that has like new leather.

The one thing I always recommend on the Big Horn is the LED headlight upgrade package. Well worth the money. I just wish Stellantis would get their head out and offer the passenger power seat as an option like the Ford 302A package on the F-150 XLT...IMHO, more owners would opt for the Big Horn if that were available.

To each their own...

runamuck

Reaction score
I always get the leather, at least for vehicles I have bought since the 70's. never had one that looked old or broken in after a few years. they smell better and keep their looks longer than cloth in my view and they usually come at a higher trim level that has a few niceties. I am on my second laramie and that is the best trim level for me because it the least expensive trim level to get leather and some of the other things I want like power seat for the wife and the best headlights and being in Texas, I like the ventilated seats. also the 9 spkr sound system is plenty good enough for me. I take good care of my vehicles and and have never been upside down at trade time. I remember the vinyl seats and roll-your-own windows and am happy having a few frills.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I always get the leather, at least for vehicles I have bought since the 70's. never had one that looked old or broken in after a few years. they smell better and keep their looks longer than cloth in my view and they usually come at a higher trim level that has a few niceties. I am on my second laramie and that is the best trim level for me because it the least expensive trim level to get leather and some of the other things I want like power seat for the wife and the best headlights and being in Texas, I like the ventilated seats. also the 9 spkr sound system is plenty good enough for me. I take good care of my vehicles and and have never been upside down at trade time. I remember the vinyl seats and roll-your-own windows and am happy having a few frills.
Technically the Laramie seats aren't actually leather. They are vinyl, it's just that the quality of vinyl is keeps and bounds better than what most people remember when you talk about vinyl seats

runamuck

Reaction score
Technically the Laramie seats aren't actually leather. They are vinyl, it's just that the quality of vinyl is keeps and bounds better than what most people remember when you talk about vinyl seats
true..leatherlike but nice

Ramfancy

Reaction score
I was looking at a limited instead of the Laramie. Now I’m glad I do not have real leather on my dash.

I find the pleather on the dash much nicer than the plastic on my 2011.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got bored so compared the 2024 Ram standard features between Big Horn and the Laramie.

Surprisingly, Ram's website said both are standard with 18 inch wheels. It also didn't list seat material, but window stickers show leather trimmed seats as standard on the Laramie.

Also, LED headlights are not standard on the 2024 Laramie and they are not listed on the window sticker as standard equipment. LED taillights are standard on the Laramie, but not on the Big Horn.

Otherwise, below are the list of standard Laramie features that are either options or not available for the Big Horn. The base retail price difference between the 2 crew Cab 4x4s was $7000.

• Exterior mirror with Courtesy Lamps and Supplemental Signals
  • Automatic dimming external mirrors
  • Power Folding mirrors
  • Premium power mirrors with memory
  • LED Tail Lights
  • Glovebox lamp
  • Led dome, footwell, reading and overhead lighting
  • Advanced brake assist
  • Body color door handles
  • 2-way lumbar driver seat
  • 8-way power driver and passenger seats
  • Driver seat memory
  • Under seat lighting
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Heated front seats
  • Uconnect 5 Nav with 8.4 display (Uconnect 3 with 5 inch and no nav is standard on big horn)
  • Accent color shark fin antenna
  • 4G LTE hot spot
  • CarPlay and Android auto
  • Ram connected services trial
  • Sirius XM Radio
  • USB Host Flip (whatever this is)
  • HD Radio
  • Media Hub with 2 charge only USB ports
  • 9 Speakers with subwoofer (6 speakers without sub standard on big horn)
  • Premium overhead console
  • A/C with Dual Zone Temp Control
  • Automatic Dimming Rearview mirror
  • 115 volt Aux power outlet and inverter
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Sun visors with illuminated mirrors
  • Universal Garage Door Opener
  • Bright rotary shifter
  • Full speed forward collision warning plus
  • Remote start system
  • Security alarm
  • Front door passive entry and lock

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, it's been my experience that the higher trim levels retain a higher percent of their value than lower trim models with added options.

Just went to KBB to compare the new price of a 2023 Big Horn and Laramie with no options added, then did the same comparison for the same trucks used and 50K miles. The standard Big Horn lost 34% of it's original value but the Laramie only lost 27% of it's original value.

U

User_3336

Also, it's been my experience that the higher trim levels retain a higher percent of their value than lower trim models with added options.

Just went to KBB to compare the new price of a 2023 Big Horn and Laramie with no options added, then did the same comparison for the same trucks used and 50K miles. The standard Big Horn lost 34% of it's original value but the Laramie only lost 27% of it's original value.
New 2023's still on the lot, not even sold will lose about 7-20% as soon as they're driven off the lot
Big Horn - 20% loss in value
Laramie - 7% loss in value.
(Assuming CURRENT manufacturer rebates and dealer discounts of $6500, for example - using KBB trade in value @ 500 miles and EXCELLENT condition---figured 500 even though new - -)

And true, higher trim levels to start with retain higher values. Added options sometimes get lost in trade valuations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Av1

Reaction score
lol. I love this place sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread