5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Laramie over Big Horn?

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
Unable to order any 2024s so searching for existing stock of Laramies with the Advanced Safety Group.
Not only are they hard to find, but when found they tend to have other options that I dislike as with the Panoramic Sunroof or Tow Mirrors.

Thinking that searching for a Laramie with the Advanced Safety Group is a lost cause and since it is only available with the Laramie or higher trim, I am thinking I might as well look at Big Horns.

With that in mind, what other features am I getting with the Laramie over the Big Horn and most importantly, how much more comfort does the Laramie have over the Big Horn models?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a current Laramie owner, and a previous 2019 BigHorn owner, you’re not missing much. They are not more comfortable at all. I still can’t figure out the where the “leather” is on the seats! Lol.

Advanced safety group is pretty nice though. I think you also can’t get passive entry and ventilated seats on a BH. Other than that, it’s really not a huge difference.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LEDS - at this stage in life I would want LEDS but they can be added on, also automatic dimming mirror
Big Horn 18", Laramie 20" - is there a difference and in who's favor?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LEDS - at this stage in life I would want LEDS but they can be added on, also automatic dimming mirror
Big Horn 18", Laramie 20" - is there a difference and in who's favor?
BugHorn can be optioned with 20" wheels and auto dim mirrors. LED lights are available certain packages such as Built to Serve.

silver billet

Reaction score
I love my Big Horn. Has everything I want and nothing I don't. I'm not into the whole tech thing in my truck, simpler is better. Back in 2019 LED's were available but I skipped that feature and just added Morimoto's instead, they look better than stock anyway IMHO.

The Tradesman and Big Horn is where the value is. After that you're just emptying you're wallet for fancy tech. And a simpler truck means 1750 pounds of payload.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Bighorn doesn't have a power passenger seat. In terms of body style you can get a quad cab if you're considering a Bighorn which is no longer an option for Laramie.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Having gone from a 20 Big Horn to a 22 Laramie, I can tell you I wouldn't go back. The cloth seats in the Horn were very comfortable, maybe more comfortable than the Laramie, but the Laramie has the ventilation I couldn't get with the Horn. Laramie also comes with Passive Entry (Horn was the first vehicle I had in a long time that didn't have that, and it was quite annoying). Halogen lights were crap, but I believe you can get LEDs on some Big Horns. ASG is actually the one thing I didn't want on the Laramie, and I lucked out finding a Level B that had only some of the nannies.

My .02, based on the priorities you listed - If you can find a Big Horn with most of what you want, and you plan on keeping it, go for it.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
The tradesman or bare bones Bighorn are substantially cheaper than the Laramie. However, the Bighorn with a few options is quite close in price to a Laramie. The Laramie has a lot of really nice base features. I like the easy cleanup leather, ventilated seats. Electric adjustable seats, interior lighting, and LED lights are really nice. The bighorn often comes with the trailer backing knob which some folks like, and the salesman really promoted, but I would never use that feature. I have backed up trailers my whole life. I did have to buy and install a factory trailer brake on my Laramie, though.

You really have to look at payloads with options on any truck. Look at what you want for towing or convenience. Drive both and shop. What was available was a real determining factor for me.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having gone from a 20 Big Horn to a 22 Laramie, I can tell you I wouldn't go back. The cloth seats in the Horn were very comfortable, maybe more comfortable than the Laramie, but the Laramie has the ventilation I couldn't get with the Horn. Laramie also comes with Passive Entry (Horn was the first vehicle I had in a long time that didn't have that, and it was quite annoying). Halogen lights were crap, but I believe you can get LEDs on some Big Horns. ASG is actually the one thing I didn't want on the Laramie, and I lucked out finding a Level B that had only some of the nannies.

My .02, based on the priorities you listed - If you can find a Big Horn with most of what you want, and you plan on keeping it, go for it.

This. I went looking to order a decent BH with a few features I wanted and without all the extras that I didn’t…ended up buying a Laramie Lvl 1. Had everything from the would have been BH I would have ordered plus the addition to factory leather (which always pissed me off then unless you go BTS you couldn’t get leather or vinyl). When I tried the ventilated seats even though it wasn’t to hot during this time I knew come summer time when Im outside working in the heat would be a wonderful feeling, passive entry was also a great feature. Auto high bean headlights, wipers are wonderful and I still skipped out on all the advanced safety features. Reclining rear seat also felt so much better even though I wouldn’t be riding back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

W Six

Reaction score
For us, its the seating.
We like the fully adjustable front seats and seem to find them in the Laramie.. I'd take a Tradesman of they had good seats.

mattee

Reaction score
I was looking at 1 year old trucks when I bought mine and the Laramie was on average about 5-6 thousand more and most did not have the work features I wanted like bed utility group, off road group, trailer brake etc. Also I was looking for a quad cab which isn't available in a Laramie anymore. The 2 big things I would of liked that come with Laramie's is passive entry which I plan on adding and memory seat/mirrors for when my wife drives it. It takes me forever to get the seat back where I like it:rolleyes:

mattee

Reaction score
Also I wanted the 3.92 axle which vey few Laramie's seem to have. At least in my area anyway.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Thinking down the road...... RESALE VALUE !
A Laramie retains its trade-in value much much better than a Big Horn ever could.

You'll suck up about $6000 loss in value probably the second you drive a Big Horn off the lot, period.

Laramie, not so much.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking down the road...... RESALE VALUE !
A Laramie retains its trade-in value much much better than a Big Horn ever could.

You'll suck up about $6000 loss in value probably the second you drive a Big Horn off the lot, period.

Laramie, not so much.
That really depends. Been helping a local friend with mods in his Laramie. And my Bighorn based Built to Serve has far more options than his Laramie. The only thing he has that I don't it the ventilated seats. But he doesn't have park sense, no 12" display, no sunroof, no off road group.........

U

User_3336

That really depends. Been helping a local friend with mods in his Laramie. And my Bighorn based Built to Serve has far more options than his Laramie. The only thing he has that I don't it the ventilated seats. But he doesn't have park sense, no 12" display, no sunroof, no off road group.........
you've got leather seats in a BTS?

Speaking of resale value in my orig post. It really "depends" on what you paid for it to begin with.
Typically Big Horns are deep discounted, which makes them drop in resale value vs. Laramie's typically aren't discount rich. My Laramie has pretty well held a good value.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got my BH used, but it has LEDs. See my signature. Maybe it was BTS not sure

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my big horn with LED headlights, if they were not an option I would have went Laramie but I do prefer cloth over leather.

Users who are viewing this thread