5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the engine oil only half of full for a new eco diesel RAM 1500?

rtslab

Reaction score
I noticed the engine oil indicator on my RAM 1500 instrument cluster is exactly half position between Low and Full. Is this expected for a new RAM 1500 eco diesel? Can we fill it up to full by ourselves instead of waiting for the next oil change? Thanks!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh boy.

The only way to check engine oil level is with the dipstick. Pop your hood lift it up and you will see some yellow handles. Select the one with engine oil wrote on it

The guage with a needle is your oil pressure.

There will be a read out for engine oil life. This will tell you when to change it out.

Any other questions. Please ask before you make a costly mistake.

rtslab

Reaction score
Oh boy.

The only way to check engine oil level is with the dipstick. Pop your hood lift it up and you will see some yellow handles. Select the one with engine oil wrote on it

The guage with a needle is your oil pressure.

There will be a read out for engine oil life. This will tell you when to change it out.

Any other questions. Please ask before you make a costly mistake.
Thank you both! I always ask questions and get definitive answers here first before I try to do anything :)

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Woof...I was reading this thinking to myself, really? The new diesels have an oil fill gauge?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is called an "idiot gauge". if it ever changes, it is too late.

Users who are viewing this thread