5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don’t wind deflectors come standard?

John Galt

Reaction score
I was looking at some wind deflectors for the truck I have on order and got to thinking…..why aren’t the hood and door wind deflectors standard features. Of all the silly things that ARE standard especially on higher trim levels, why not something to make bugs less likely to land on the windshield and reduce wind noise with the windows down?

Mopar makes them but you can’t order them as part of the factory build.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They probably could make it standard or part of the actual design, but it would reduce mileage by 0.01 mpg and the Gestapo, excuse me, EPA would be all up in Chrysler's rectum

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Personally can't stand window deflectors, but, agree they should be an option. Sometimes they are dealer option but you pay for it double

Me neither, hood or window deflectors. Hell, the fender flares almost lost me. Dealer installed add-on maybe but not an option group

John Galt

Reaction score
They probably could make it standard or part of the actual design, but it would reduce mileage by 0.01 mpg and the Gestapo, excuse me, EPA would be all up in Chrysler's rectum
It’s a 6000 pound brick on wheels. Just make it optional or even better charge more for the “aero package” to have them removed and give you that extra 0.01 mpg and a “green” badge so you can feel good about paying extra “for the environment”. Maybe add a few thousand for “carbon offsets” while you’re at it.

People who care about MPG shouldn’t be buying trucks.

John Galt

Reaction score
Because while useful, they look tacky.
You’re not wrong, but they’re on the outside so I don’t have to look at them most of the time. I DO however look through the windshield a lot and like to roll down the windows on a nice day.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s a 6000 pound brick on wheels. Just make it optional or even better charge more for the “aero package” to have them removed and give you that extra 0.01 mpg and a “green” badge so you can feel good about paying extra “for the environment”. Maybe add a few thousand for “carbon offsets” while you’re at it.

People who care about MPG shouldn’t be buying trucks.
A hood deflector isn't going to decrease mpg lol.

There are a bunch of Mopar accessories that are not offered from the factory.
You are more then welcome to purchase them from the selling dealership and have them install. There is 0 reason for that to be offered from the factory when there is 0 reason to have a factory install them just to get it transported and break in transportation.

I had several things purchased and installed prior to pickup of my Silverado such as an auto-dimming rear view mirror (not part of the trim), Borla exhaust (not even a Chevy part), Illuminated front emblem (not offered on any truck only a stand alone purchase). They had no problem taking them onto the price of the truck and my loan.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on the shape of the deflector but generally they do change the airflow over the front of the vehicle. I had one on a truck in the past and lost about 1 mpg at highway speeds. I don't' really care for the look of them for the most part, I had one to protect the hood from road debris but with ppf being so good these days that is what I use anymore.

Davidbt

Reaction score
You’re not wrong, but they’re on the outside so I don’t have to look at them most of the time. I DO however look through the windshield a lot and like to roll down the windows on a nice day.
Have you opened your rear slider with the window open? Works for me, seems to cut the wind from coming into the cab.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on the shape of the deflector but generally they do change the airflow over the front of the vehicle. I had one on a truck in the past and lost about 1 mpg at highway speeds. I don't' really care for the look of them for the most part, I had one to protect the hood from road debris but with ppf being so good these days that is what I use anymore.
There is no way you lose 1 mpg from a plastic deflector on a 6000 lbs truck.
My truck has active grill shutters that close my grill and claim to increase mpg. I also have an active bottom spoiler under the front of my truck that does the same exact thing the hood deflector does but pushes the air down under the truck like a deflector would push it up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking at some wind deflectors for the truck I have on order and got to thinking…..why aren’t the hood and door wind deflectors standard features. Of all the silly things that ARE standard especially on higher trim levels, why not something to make bugs less likely to land on the windshield and reduce wind noise with the windows down?

Mopar makes them but you can’t order them as part of the factory build.
The hood ones are more to protect the hood and do little to "deflect" bugs away from the windshield.

I like my side window vent visors. Allows me to crack my windows in the summer to vent out hot air without drawing attention to the windows being cracked or worried about rain getting in if there was a chance of rain. The in-channel ones do not look "tacky" because you barely notice them with tinted windows.

John Galt

Reaction score
The hood ones are more to protect the hood and do little to "deflect" bugs away from the windshield.

I like my side window vent visors. Allows me to crack my windows in the summer to vent out hot air without drawing attention to the windows being cracked or worried about rain getting in if there was a chance of rain. The in-channel ones do not look "tacky" because you barely notice them with tinted windows.
Those are the ones I’m looking at. Big fat “no” on anything that involves double sided sticky tape. Not just on vehicles, in general.

23RAM

Reaction score

But we have A/C in the summer heat, even with rain. I don't see a need for these at all. Plus all vehicles these days have fresh air ventilation into the cab during rain or snow, so I don't see the need for them. Seems the factory also doesn't see a need, otherwise I'm sure they'd charge extra for them.
:)

John Galt

Reaction score
But we have A/C in the summer heat, even with rain. I don't see a need for these at all. Plus all vehicles these days have fresh air ventilation into the cab during rain or snow, so I don't see the need for them. Seems the factory also doesn't see a need, otherwise I'm sure they'd charge extra for them.
:)
If that’s the case what’s the point in having windows that open? We have toll tags and apps for parking and if you need to talk to someone outside just call them. Why not save a few bucks on manufacturing and stop making windows that open, keep the price the same, and pocket the difference rather than putting in useless things like windows that pen?

Users who are viewing this thread