5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don’t wind deflectors come standard?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2008 Big Horn came with a Hood Deflector from the Factory. There wasn't an up charge from the Dealer
if it didn't come Standard.

Malodave

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the reason I bought the AVS Bugflector II is because I wanted to protect the hood from rock chips. The black paint on these aluminum hoods get chipped up terribly bad.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding paint protection film to my front bumper.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If that’s the case what’s the point in having windows that open? We have toll tags and apps for parking and if you need to talk to someone outside just call them.
Fast food? Getting stopped by the police?
I suppose a case could be made windows don't need to go down but that's kind of silly.

23RAM

Reaction score
If that’s the case what’s the point in having windows that open?
I didn't suggest having sealed glass windows. Obviously there are lots of reasons for windows that open, but I simply don't see the need for visors. If it's raining, my windows are up and the vehicle's ventilation and temperature controls keep me comfortable. In most scenarios, my windows are either fully closed or fully open - I rarely drive with them half open or just cracked open a bit. And I don't park the vehicle with the windows cracked open on hot summer days either - that's why we have A/C and remote start.
:)

23RAM

Reaction score
Yes, the reason I bought the AVS Bugflector II is because I wanted to protect the hood from rock chips. The black paint on these aluminum hoods get chipped up terribly bad.

I'm also toying with the idea of adding paint protection film to my front bumper.
I don't like bug deflectors - I like to see the paint so I add clear film to the hood leading edge, and on the door sills for protection. I too am considering having the front bumper done.

23RAM

Reaction score
My 2008 Big Horn came with a Hood Deflector from the Factory. There wasn't an up charge from the Dealer
if it didn't come Standard.
I don't believe it's from the factory - I've never seen that as an option with any new vehicle. The dealer added it and included it in the price - you paid for it in the final pricing even if they didn't list the item. Dealers don't do anything for free.
:(

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always considered window deflectors as something mainly for smokers. They can crack the window when it's raining and not let water inside. Since no one is allowed to smoke in my vehicles I have no use for them. But I did have a hood deflector on my last truck to help prevent rock chips.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always considered window deflectors as something mainly for smokers. They can crack the window when it's raining and not let water inside. Since no one is allowed to smoke in my vehicles I have no use for them. But I did have a hood deflector on my last truck to help prevent rock chips.
Nope not just for smokers.
Helps to be able to get fresh air in without letting rain\snow get it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't suggest having sealed glass windows. Obviously there are lots of reasons for windows that open, but I simply don't see the need for visors. If it's raining, my windows are up and the vehicle's ventilation and temperature controls keep me comfortable. In most scenarios, my windows are either fully closed or fully open - I rarely drive with them half open or just cracked open a bit. And I don't park the vehicle with the windows cracked open on hot summer days either - that's why we have A/C and remote start.
:)
Help the A/C out by having windows cracked to vent the hot air when parked and/or remote starting. Hot air rises. Unless you want to make your A/C cool down an oven. It's the difference between being comfortable in the truck in 2-3 minutes vs 10. And with how people in here complains bout poor A/C performance, not venting the hot air is just handicapping it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever used my vent visors to crack windows when driving in rain. If it's raining, windows are closed while driving. Even with vent visors you will still get some rain blowing in when driving down the road. But when parks being able to vent the hot air out keeps it cooler in the cab, and the A/C doesn't have to work as much to cook it off

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever used my vent visors to crack windows when driving in rain. If it's raining, windows are closed while driving. Even with vent visors you will still get some rain blowing in when driving down the road. But when parks being able to vent the hot air out keeps it cooler in the cab, and the A/C doesn't have to work as much to cook it off
I don't get rain in my truck if the windows are cracked with the in channel Mopar vents. Unless someone is spraying a hose directly up it's just not possible, rain would need to travel up 2-4 inches after already falling due to gravity.
Maybe driving through a HUGE puddle with the windows cracked water might come in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't get rain in my truck if the windows are cracked with the in channel Mopar vents. Unless someone is spraying a hose directly up it's just not possible, rain would need to travel up 2-4 inches after already falling due to gravity.
Maybe driving through a HUGE puddle with the windows cracked water might come in.
Depends on what windows you have open. Water travels down the lower edge and gets sucked up and into vehicle while driving, usually towards the back of door. This is on multiple different vehicles using the weathertech in-channel vent visors. It's not a whole lot of water, but more than I want.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Help the A/C out by having windows cracked to vent the hot air when parked and/or remote starting. Hot air rises. Unless you want to make your A/C cool down an oven. It's the difference between being comfortable in the truck in 2-3 minutes vs 10. And with how people in here complains bout poor A/C performance, not venting the hot air is just handicapping it
Venting the pano roof works even quicker…..if you have one.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Better yet, open windows for about 30 seconds when you begin your drive to vent that hot air.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you've never done it you have no way of knowing. I'm not just talking out my *** like some here do. I've owned many different vehicles over the years with window visors. My previous wife was a smoker, and we drove with her window cracked all the time. There was never an issue with water coming in when it was raining. Sure, a little mist might come in when a truck goes by, but not even enough to have to wipe up.

As far as keeping the windows cracked in hot weather goes, I don't like chasing bees and other insects out every day. With tinted windows and a windshield shade my vehicles don't take long to cool off in the summer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you've never done it you have no way of knowing. I'm not just talking out my *** like some here do. I've owned many different vehicles over the years with window visors. My previous wife was a smoker, and we drove with her window cracked all the time. There was never an issue with water coming in when it was raining. Sure, a little mist might come in when a truck goes by, but not even enough to have to wipe up.

As far as keeping the windows cracked in hot weather goes, I don't like chasing bees and other insects out every day. With tinted windows and a windshield shade my vehicles don't take long to cool off in the summer.
Ive never had an insect inside my vehicles from being parked with windows cracked with vent visors. What was that you said in your first sentence, if you have never done it, you have no way of knowing.......

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe it's from the factory - I've never seen that as an option with any new vehicle. The dealer added it and included it in the price - you paid for it in the final pricing even if they didn't list the item. Dealers don't do anything for free.
:(
I got a free spray in bed liner when I leased my truck. I was fully expecting to pay for it. Dealer came to my house(1 hour drive) picked up my truck, took it to place to get bed liner sprayed in, then brought it back to my house, and I never got a bill. And double checked all my paperwork, and there was no added charge for it anywhere

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Better yet, open windows for about 30 seconds when you begin your drive to vent that hot air.
Personally, I vent my sunroof. Works better once moving, but having windows cracked while parked helps keep the inside temps from getting as hot

Users who are viewing this thread