5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Doesn't The Fuel Door Lock?

Jonnybow

Reaction score
With all the technology in these trucks and we have a non lockable fuel door? No chance to lock the fuel cap (since there isn't one) so when the ex wife is all pissed off, she can walk over to your truck, push the door to unlock it and pour sugar into your tank? Or the local teenager looking to fill his hoopty can siphon all your gas.
I searched it and didn't find any gripes about it, isn't anyone concerned about not being able to lock your fuel door?

R

Rob5589

Sugar, maybe. Not likely to siphon as most takes have screens/anti siphon components. Looking at the door, should be simple enough to add a locking mechanism, although it may not be "factory pretty." Trying to not pizz off the ex works too... :LOL:

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
With all the technology in these trucks and we have a non lockable fuel door? No chance to lock the fuel cap (since there isn't one) so when the ex wife is all pissed off, she can walk over to your truck, push the door to unlock it and pour sugar into your tank? Or the local teenager looking to fill his hoopty can siphon all your gas.
I searched it and didn't find any gripes about it, isn't anyone concerned about not being able to lock your fuel door?
Capless fillers are resistant to siphoning and filling of foreign objects which is why your truck comes with a special funnel attached with Velcro to the scissor jack. This is to be used when using a gas can for filling. It is located under your passenger seat. All this is in the manual.

As for the locking door I am guessing they leave that part out as it is more a maintenance problem than anything else. When one of the electronic locks fails, which it will at some point they can be a HUGE pain in the butt to get open. My wifes 2014 Ford did in 2016 and the vehicle had to be towed to the dealer and the entire trunk had to be dismantled.

Jonnybow

Reaction score
Capless fillers are resistant to siphoning and filling of foreign objects which is why your truck comes with a special funnel attached with Velcro to the scissor jack. This is to be used when using a gas can for filling. It is located under your passenger seat. All this is in the manual.

As for the locking door I am guessing they leave that part out as it is more a maintenance problem than anything else. When one of the electronic locks fails, which it will at some point they can be a HUGE pain in the butt to get open. My wifes 2014 Ford did in 2016 and the vehicle had to be towed to the dealer and the entire trunk had to be dismantled.
Manual? This thing has a manual?

AbnerMality

Reaction score

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score

Wheeler

Reaction score
Pissed off wife /ex wife can do lot more damage than sugar in gas tank.

Jonnybow

Reaction score
A locking fuel door would help protect against sabotage I guess, but if anybody wants your gas, all they have to do is punch a hole in your plastic fuel tank.
Do you lock the doors at your house? Not sure why you do that, if someone wants in, they can just break a window........

cra1g

Reaction score
Do you lock the doors at your house? Not sure why you do that, if someone wants in, they can just break a window........
:rolleyes: Yes, that's exactly the same thing. Well done.

If somebody's looking to steal gas, they're already walking around with a gas can and a piece of hose. To think they would be stopped by a locked fuel door because they didn't also have a pocket knife to puncture the tank is just silly. Actually, now that anti-siphon devices are common, it's more likely they wouldn't even bother bringing the hose.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Yes, that's exactly the same thing. Well done.

If somebody's looking to steal gas, they're already walking around with a gas can and a piece of hose. To think they would be stopped by a locked fuel door because they didn't also have a pocket knife to puncture the tank is just silly. Actually, now that anti-siphon devices are common, it's more likely they wouldn't even bother bringing the hose.

Like anything the harder you make something to steal or enter the better. It will not stop the hard core idiots but it might stop others. Either way a $20 locking cap would be nice to have as an option.

We are just lucky to be living in $2/gallon gas times. If it was $5/gallon or higher I suspect this would be a much more necessary item.

smashweights

Reaction score
Yes, all my previous cars had a lever to unlatch the door. It has always provided some peace of mind. I don't lose sleep over the RAM but it would have been nice

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I just went out to the driveway and checked my gas cap. I pissed off! It doesn't lock. I was so angry when I bought my Range Rover and found the same BS,..no lock. In Europe they all lock with the doors in the USA feature was not installed. Word was it saves them $$=profit. This is nonsense. I'm surprised no one patented a gas cap that fits over the spout and the key locks it down. They would make a Mint!

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
I believe house doors come with locks sooooo kinda makes sense to use them. Home break ins are a problem.

How often do you hear of people's gas tanks being compromised with sugar, siphons etc?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a way better chance of you getting stuck at a gas station on empty with a failed locking gas door solenoid than anyone ever messing with your gas door..... If I had a locking gas door, I'd disable it asap just like I did on my C7 Z06.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread