5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Doesn't The Fuel Door Lock?

zlman

Reaction score
I've been driving for 33 yrs, divorced twice, have never experienced either situation you've mentioned. I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

Jonnybow

Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments, good or bad they all have merit. I've never had a vehicle since 1985 that didn't have a locking gas cap or door which is why I started the conversation.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments, good or bad they all have merit. I've never had a vehicle since 1985 that didn't have a locking gas cap or door which is why I started the conversation.
You'll realize it's a non-issue after a while. I've had capless gas tank vehicles since 2008 and the one that had the gas door lock (Corvette) I disabled because every couple of months someone would hop on corvetteforum with a horror story of a failed gas door lock. That was enough for me.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The humble mechanical cable has worked flawlessly for me in all the years I have driven with a locking gas door. No need for electronics or solenoids.

However, just because the corvette has a poor implementation, doesn't mean the concept itself is hard to implement correctly. I mean they make a gas pedal work 100% of the time for the life of a car, surely this isn't anymore complicated.

But I don't worry about it either, where I live I don't think it ever happens.

abcom

Reaction score
I actually prefer not having the locking gas cap or any gas cap for that matter. Easier when I have to add gas. One of the many new conveniences I am enjoying with my truck.
The anti siphon would be a good enough deterrent or better as a lock would be.

AbnerMality

Reaction score
Lock or Glock either is only a deterrent.
Like most I just try to be sensible about where and how I park and how I interact with others. In the end if somebody has to act like a fool, not much will stop them.
"Nothing is foolproof, fools are too ingenious." - Anon

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grand Cherokee Has the same cap less filler, and door plunger looks the same except it’s electric pop open. I wonder if we could fit a lock mech from a Jeep ?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’d rather have someone siphon my gas, then find it locked and resorting to drilling a hole in my tank.

Cheers,

Taegee2

Reaction score
Pissed off wife /ex wife can do lot more damage than sugar in gas tank.
I don't have to worry about that (not that she would do it)... Mine moved back in (a few years ago) and now driving my Tahoe, credit cards, etc.....just wish she would stop watching QVC and HSN all day long (yep, she doesn't work either, which is no big deal). Always something at door from them.

Pallman

Reaction score
With all the technology in these trucks and we have a non lockable fuel door? No chance to lock the fuel cap (since there isn't one) so when the ex wife is all pissed off, she can walk over to your truck, push the door to unlock it and pour sugar into your tank? Or the local teenager looking to fill his hoopty can siphon all your gas.
I searched it and didn't find any gripes about it, isn't anyone concerned about not being able to lock your fuel door?

Pallman

Reaction score
Hey CHEERS,
Its not about losing fuel; its about potentially being a Statistic; being in the wrong parking lot, etc., and someone having nothing else to do, but vandalize your fuel system!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey CHEERS,
Its not about losing fuel; its about potentially being a Statistic; being in the wrong parking lot, etc., and someone having nothing else to do, but vandalize your fuel system!!
There are easier ways to vandalize your vehicle, but ok.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife's GC has the locking cap, total PIA during the winter. Freezes shut and won't pop open. I prefer the manual push in to release of the Ram vs. hitting a button on the dash that is incapable of breaking the ice seal.

antwon412

Reaction score
I did not know it didn’t lock either.

My wife had a new Honda Civic. If the car was locked the gas cap cover was locked. As long as you were driving it or had the key with you or inside the car it was unlocked. Used the same proximity sensor the doors did.

the civic also auto locked when you walked away. Was very handy.

vdemarco

Reaction score
I am confused, i just walked up to my 2020 rebel with NO key in my pocket. and the gas door is locked.
What am i missing here???

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I am confused, i just walked up to my 2020 rebel with NO key in my pocket. and the gas door is locked.
Were you pressing the rearward side of the cover? Because our gas doors do not have a lock.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2020 and just tested the NO key theory and mine popped right open.....perhaps one too many beers last night? :ROFLMAO:No locks on these fuel doors

Users who are viewing this thread