5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does no one else want the truck I do?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Big Horn or Laramine with a 6'4" box and the off-road group. I realize the 6'4" box is very limited in inventory but it seems the off-road group is even more rare - even with a short box. I figured in MN there would be lots of trucks with the ORG given the great value it represents but they are few and far between. I remember not all that long ago you would have thought Chevy only sold Z71 trucks based on how popular that package was. Add in the other options I want and I'll likely have to compromise or factory order when my lease ends.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
The dealers are just bad at ordering a variety of trucks. They usually just pick all the main options it seems without getting creative like 6'4 box and ORP. It is always 5'7 box first with ORP and then a couple straggler 6'4". The ones with the ORP probably get scooped up quick.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been struggling as well and will probably just have to order one.

Limited / Laramie
Tech
Trailer
Multi Function Tailgate
Diesel
33 gallon tank
red or blue
Level 1 equipment
bed utility
6’4” bed

It’s going to be a 10 year truck and I want it built like that. So many of the 6’4” options in all trims are the boring colors (white, black, silver) and it seems no one wants a Limited with 6’4” and the tech package makes it even more rare but I want the digital mirror & heads up display.

slatersan

Reaction score
Specific tastes often require specific orders. That, or let a volume dealer know what you're looking for and for them to call you if/when something like that is headed their way. Be prepared to give on something if you aren't willing to order exactly what you want.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I think what you are looking for is the most logical and also best looking choice in the half ton category. Trucks have become so much more capable and luxurious, that the consumer has switched over to buying trucks. City drivers (soccer moms/dads) are now buying trucks and require the shorter bed. We’re seeing the results on the production line now. I for one like to sit a little higher up and have the longer bed, like a truck should be ;)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Find a good salesperson at the dealership who will find what you want. They can do it...I’ve had success that way with the two 5th gens I’ve purchased.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
yeah i wanted a long horn NON etorque 6'4" bed try & find that one
I did not want the etorque either but had to settle since I really wanted the BTS and the one I bought was everything else I wanted. Longhorn...yeah good luck haha

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The specific truck I want is:

Billet Silver
CC 6'4" 4x4
Big Horn
ORG
MFT
BUG
Premium lighting
BH level 2
Advanced safety group
Rear wheelhouse

Hoping the 2022 model will bring an option for adaptive cruise and promiximity entry on BH trim or I can find better incentives on Laramie.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealers in my area order trucks with the features most local customers ask for. Unfortunately for me, I'm not like most of the local customers. I compromised with my Laramie because I didn't like the waiting period that comes along with a special order. My next truck will be special ordered. I'm tired of compromise.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe the problem is alot of people want the truck you want. They just got there quicker or already made their own order lol
Now that is a different way of looking at it but it’s the same end result! 🤔😬😫

Wsmith

Reaction score
yeah i wanted a long horn NON etorque 6'4" bed try & find that one
My brother just bought this in Wyoming. But I agree hard to find in general. My brother just bought what he liked. He sent me a picture of it, I asked him that looks like the 6'4". His response was I dunno. He measured it and 6'4" it is. Longhorn, non E, ORP. He just bought the truck that gave him the best trade in on his 2018 F250. Ford wouldn't deal so he bought a RAM.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I see what you mean. When I set the search radius to 250 miles, I cover Southern California from the border up to Santa Barbara to Bakersfield and all the way to the edge of Las Vegas. 2379 1500s. 210 with 6'4" box. (That's about the same ratio as when I bought mine.) With ORP, too, 3 trucks. Billet Silver, none.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Find a good salesperson at the dealership who will find what you want. They can do it...I’ve had success that way with the two 5th gens I’ve purchased.
This is how I've fund my last 2 trucks - they did a dealer locate and set-up a trade. In both cases I made some sacrifices for the best deal. My next truck I am tempted to not make any sacrifices so I am more apt to hold onto it longer because it is exactly what I want!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see what you mean. When I set the search radius to 250 miles, I cover Southern California from the border up to Santa Barbara to Bakersfield and all the way to the edge of Las Vegas. 2379 1500s. 210 with 6'4" box. (That's about the same ratio as when I bought mine.) With ORP, too, 3 trucks. Billet Silver, none.
Yep - add MFT to the mix and it is even more rare.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I’ve gone Canada wide and the truck I want doesn’t exist in any colour according to three different dealers. Trying to maximize payload on an EcoDiesel. First it’s not being offered below a Rebel in Canada and the only ones being produced seem to be optioned out with a 900-1100lb payload, out or almost no options, tiny tank and a stupid 200lb pano roof, not much in between.

Looking for billet silver night edition EcoDiesel, Rebel Level 2 with comfort and convenience, 8.4” screen, MFT, brake controller (not tow package) and power fold tow mirrors (requires ACC) it seems to be a Unicorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I got my eco diesel I couldn’t find one with the 6’-4” box. My salesmen couldn’t fine one within 500 miles. I searched myself and couldn’t fine one either.

Users who are viewing this thread