5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does my truck 'fish-tail' so easily on gravel roads ?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Clearly it's a traction issue. Whether gravel covered roads or snow covered roads you need to alter your habits to maintain control and not out drive the conditions. Just because the speed limit is 30mph doesn't mean you should drive at 30mph if you're slipping and sliding. I don't know the grade angle of the road but tire pressure, speed and weight will play a major roll. If you get to the point of feeling unsafe I'd recommend putting it in 4hi or 4lo depending on the grade and drive accordingly

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO - The coil spring setup is THE thing that separates the Ram from the others. Interior is good too. If I wanted a different suspension and could have settled for less comfort I would've bought a GMC truck.
The rear suspension was a primary consideration for me also. It's a vast improvement over leaf spring suspensions designed centuries ago for horse-drawn vehicles with little braking, acceleration, or lateral stability requirements.

Now, if someone markets a decent truck with full independent suspension, I may take an interest.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of it is because of the horrendously stupid coil spring 4-link suspension Ram uses on pickups. This design requires an anti-sway bar and a track bar, sometimes called a Panhard bar. Those two bars keep the axle rigidly in place laterally AND they try to keep it from articulating much. The effect is that it's great on a nice smooth highway but it completely sucks for everything else.

I've had more trucks than I could swing a dead cat at. I'd take leaf springs any day of the week.
Coil spring rear suspension would do a better job of absorbing the washboards and bumps in the road.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wills say this, on most off-road situations, my RAM has been the most comfortable truck I've ever owned, especially at off-resonance speeds on washboard type roads.

However, as with any vehicle, lowering the pressure is key. Under street tire pressures driving over washboards at slower speeds (which makes them rougher), my fillings might fall out. But at lower pressure, feels like a smooth road.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wills say this, on most off-road situations, my RAM has been the most comfortable truck I've ever owned, especially at off-resonance speeds on washboard type roads.

However, as with any vehicle, lowering the pressure is key. Under street tire pressures driving over washboards at slower speeds (which makes them rougher), my fillings might fall out. But at lower pressure, feels like a smooth road.
I'm surprised at how much of a difference even a small pressure decrease can make.

About a month ago, I took a two week road trip to the Rockies. I carry with me a Viair air compressor, but often times didn't bother air down for mild dirt and gravel roads, saving that for more rutted or loose roads.

After a good deal of fish tailing on gravel washboard, I decided I might as well air down even though it wasn't strictly necessary. I just went down from 40 to 32 PSI, and wow, what a difference! Much more comfortable, much less fishtailing.

TSL

Reaction score
I found myself on gravel roads again a few days ago, now with the tires at the factory recommended 55 / 45 ( vs the crazy values I had when I first posted this thread ).
Amazing difference ! The road was rutted and washboarded, but my goodness, it was night and day difference from my previous experience I originally posted here about.
I felt I could probably lose at least 5 additional PSI, maybe more and it would be better still. The road was narrow and twisty so I wasn't getting much speed up, 30mph was only occasional.
I need to get a pump to carry with me so I can adjust pressure more easily when needed.

nickelwork87

Reaction score
I upgraded my rear sway bar to a hellwig with there heavy duty end links. I don't have any sway at all now on gravel roads with in reason.

Users who are viewing this thread