5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people despise the "ANC" feature/function so much?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Once again I'm reminded of why I don't want to start modding this truck

HemiDude

Reaction score
Once again I'm reminded of why I don't want to start modding this truck
I get that. My new GT is amazingly quite inside, even though the performance exhaust sounds really good outside. With the upgraded factory sound system, I don't think there is an ANC (or at least one that is separate from the amp), so my intitial thought is I won't plan on changing to an MBRP like a had on my last one - I don't want to introduce a need for resonance control

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Correct and that was the point I was making, that ANC is disabled with the windows down.
So if I start hearing weird noises I can crack my window and see if they go away, and if they do that means it's ANC?
At what point does ANC disengage?

puba08

Reaction score
I guess it’s a nice feature…but my Carven exhaust sounds like factory. Didn’t spend the money not to hear it. Bought the bypass, just have to plug it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if I start hearing weird noises I can crack my window and see if they go away, and if they do that means it's ANC?
At what point does ANC disengage?

All I can say is it is supposed to disable if the window is opened.

If it sounds like a window is opened and you then open a window, how would you know the difference? LOL

If you have AlfaOBD, disable it and re-evaluate.

I shut mine off as most agree it can make the HK system sound like a** and my CTD is quiet enough for me without it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
All I can say is it is supposed to disable if the window is opened.

If it sounds like a window is opened and you then open a window, how would you know the difference? LOL

If you have AlfaOBD, disable it and re-evaluate.

I shut mine off as most agree it can make the HK system sound like a** and my CTD is quiet enough for me without it.
I thought the disable in AlfaODB didn't actually turn it off?

2 separate issues, when I had stock exhaust even I could hear wind like a window was open at highway speeds. Sounded like it was coming from the middle of my windshield.

With Borla exhaust I have weird inconstant drone at highway speeds, almost like using noise canceling headphones in amplify mode

The window noise i'm talking about is it someone didn't close the window all the way and just left it kinda cracked open, the kind of sound that if you opened it more the sound would stop. That's not normal.
If I opened the window and the noise stops (from the middle of my truck) then deductive reasoning would say it's the ANC?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious what the issue is with ANC and why I see so many threads/posts related to disabling it, removing it etc.

I have a 2020 Big Horn 5.7 and pretty sure it has ANC - I see the silver looking module under the driver seat. Driving around, any speed, conditions, never noticed a "problem" - I've just thought "wow this is really quiet and nice". I've had maybe 9 Ram trucks since 2014 - 2500s, Hemis, EcoDiesels, and a 3500. That's not a brag as much as saying I'm pretty familiar with these trucks and never understood why ANC was so frowned upon.

Thanks.
No issues with mine.

A quiet ride is on the list of reasons I'm in a Ram now and not something else.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No issues with mine.

A quiet ride is on the list of reasons I'm in a Ram now and not something else.
I like em big and loud :)
I also listen to loud music, so unless i'm leaving a stoplight my music will overpower any exhaust or air intake noise.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if it's related, but if I roll my window down at highway speeds, I get this nasty droning sound that make it uncomfortable to the point I just have to roll the window back up.

I also do. And have to crack a rear window and it’s gone.

BowDown

Reaction score
Because you don't enjoy being unique and problem solving?
Guess it's not for everyone, sure do save money by not modding :)

20180609_170822.jpg

Lol, not a stock part on this car, the intake in the pic has now been replaced. Nothing but a mod money pit where one mod leads to another. I like this truck quiet and stock, this car, I have to F with it constantly.
No Mas

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
View attachment 125733

Lol, not a stock part on this car, the intake in the pic has now been replaced. Nothing but a mod money pit where one mod leads to another. I like this truck quiet and stock, this car, I have to F with it constantly.
No Mas
Ahhhh I see.
We are a 2 car\truck family so I had to get rid of my Camaro so I could fit my carseats and crap. This ram needs to fill the sports car and truck vibe all at once...

BowDown

Reaction score
I get that. My new GT is amazingly quite inside, even though the performance exhaust sounds really good outside. With the upgraded factory sound system, I don't think there is an ANC (or at least one that is separate from the amp), so my intitial thought is I won't plan on changing to an MBRP like a had on my last one - I don't want to introduce a need for resonance control

I probably wouldn't mind the GT exhaust if it came on the truck but I also love the dead quietness of this truck and not having to worry about or tinker with anything. IMO, this is the best truck currently on the road and needs nothing more, other than maybe 100 more reliable torks

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't mind the GT exhaust if it came on the truck but I also love the dead quietness of this truck and not having to worry about or tinker with anything. IMO, this is the best truck currently on the road and needs nothing more, other than maybe 100 more reliable torks
I found the GT exhaust too quiet, I also found it extremely weird that when you gave it gas it was decently loud, but at regular driving speeds completely silent...
It's sure not worth the $3500 or so the GT package costs.

BowDown

Reaction score
Ahhhh I see.
We are a 2 car\truck family so I had to get rid of my Camaro so I could fit my carseats and crap. This ram needs to fill the sports car and truck vibe all at once...

I hear you and I'd take 100 more hp and torque if the trade off was a minimal loss in mpg and min increase in exhaust noise but no loss in reliability. I'm extremely happy with the truck and that I've had no issues other than rocks cracking the windshield. That said, I love how quiet the interior is and if ANC is doing that, then its worth it

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 125733

No Mas
Unless you built it by hand, from scratch, I'm calling BS. Something is still stock.....lol

PS nice ride.

BowDown

Reaction score
I found the GT exhaust too quiet, I also found it extremely weird that when you gave it gas it was decently loud, but at regular driving speeds completely silent...
It's sure not worth the $3500 or so the GT package costs.

I wouldn't pay that, you can buy a B&B Fusion exhaust for my car for $2000, someone should make a similar system for this truck. Basically an electric valve adjustable exhaust system, touring to sport, that would be the S. I thought I read that someone was making one for the TRX; that may be worth a look

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Unless you built it by hand, from scratch, I'm calling BS. Something is still stock.....lol

PS nice ride.
The exterior minus the hood is stock. Interior isn't stock, driveline (trans or diff) isn't stock, suspension isn't stock, exhaust isn't stock, engine isn't stock, block isn't stock, internals aren't stock, heads aren't stock. Now, if we are racing, ignore the idle, its completely stock with a miss :ROFLMAO:
What it needs is this trucks ANC, its loud as F and rocks the car at a light, crap load of fun til something breaks. No way I want my truck anywhere near this. Same reason I cant have a TRX, that would be too tempting

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
kind of funny this topic came up...2 days ago I was driving in city traffic, came to a light and started hearing what I thought was someone's bass in another car, it got louder and louder, the light changed and as I started to take a left I thought, "glad I'm getting away from whoever had their bass thumping so loud"...but the "bass" sound kept following me...then it got INSANELY loud, like a giant bass hum...I pulled over thinking the damn thing was going to explode! Shut it off, restarted, no sound anymore. Well?...now I know what the hell that was! lol

Users who are viewing this thread