5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else is sick and tired of the non power folding tow mirrors?

sylvan oaks

Reaction score
Had this truck now 2 years and have only ripped off the passenger mirror plastic cover once. Luckily it was only $30 to replace.
My garage doors are the standard 9' wide, leaving me about an inch on each side. Thank god the passenger side mirror is located a little further back then the drivers, so I can do a little swing and get one thru at a time.
It is beyond me how so called engineers can develop a $65-70 thousand dollar truck and not make the towing mirrors option power folding also.
My wife refuses to even try to back it out, and I don't blame her because I have a hell of a time!

Kooch80

Reaction score
it is even more frustrating because they put them on the heavy duty trucks!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t get it. Not only that but they have the ugliest ones of all the brands as well. I really wanted tow mirrors but didn’t get them because they don’t power fold and it sucks that they have to be flipped up and readjusted to be used.

STR

Reaction score
It was a requirement for me. I have three 8’ doors. The truck would not fit in the garage without power folding mirrors... and I’m not getting out to manually fold them. I remember ripping off the passenger’s side on a Gen 4 when it froze open. I saw the driver’s side fold and preceded into the garage. Definitely a WTF moment :mad:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The non-power folding and "flip up" instead of extend out were the reasons I did not get the tow mirrors. Ford and Nissan with the large mirror up top and convex mirror below were/are a great design. Once I got them set on my Titan I never moved them, and I could see 2.5 lanes over on each side of the truck as well as completely behind me without extending them. Rarely used my actual rear view mirror.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They do make the tow mirrors power folding and heated. FCA just decided to take away some of the features when they introduced the 5th gen trucks. They have the entire generation laid out before they even started production. Offer an 'all-new' truck but not all of the features are there from the last generation. Then they introduce improvements every couple of years along with features that were there before. 2019 was an all-new truck. Now that they've got the production ironed out 2021 has some new improvements: uConnect, 360 cameras on the tow mirrors, power tow mirrors, LED CHSML with camera, etc.

It's a game of how long can you hold out before finally pulling the trigger and getting one because next year will always have something new wait for.

I would have preferred to wait until 2021 (I never buy the first year of a new generation and usually wait until the first round of improvements a couple of years in) but my truck was totaled so I was on a 2 week timeline to drive a truck home.

I would rather have a 2019 and be frustrated with my manual tow mirrors than have a 2018 and seen what I could have had by waiting one more year.

Just my .02

Zig10

Reaction score
2.5 weeks. That's when I finally broke down and replaced them with the power-folding non-tow mirrors. I have only one regret buying this truck, and that was it. Previous GM and Ford trucks had power fold mirrors.

sylvan oaks

Reaction score
2.5 weeks. That's when I finally broke down and replaced them with the power-folding non-tow mirrors. I have only one regret buying this truck, and that was it. Previous GM and Ford trucks had power fold mirrors.
Could I ask what was all involved, procedure, and cost??? I actually have used the mirrors in swivel up position maybe 5 times in 2 years. Think I could live without them.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After they release them next year, I'm sure people could buy the new 2021 powerfold tow mirrors and upgrade their 2019/2020 Rams. Obviously we won't know what that process looks like until release, and there may be parts shortages for a while, but I bet it'd be possible. Until some hit the used market, they'll probably be $1000 too.

Zig10

Reaction score
Could I ask what was all involved, procedure, and cost??? I actually have used the mirrors in swivel up position maybe 5 times in 2 years. Think I could live without them.

I think it was $1375 or so from Infotainment for the kit. Took about 2 hours, but mostly because it took me 30 minutes to find the @#$&ing security gateway under the driver's dash area.

Otherwise, it's just a quick pull of the door panels and trim, some bolts/nuts, and plug and play wiring harnesses.

Honestly, for me it was as much about getting rid of the magnified right mirror as the folding option. Every time I changed lanes it gave me heart failure because it looks like everyone is right on your *** in the blind spot.

Kit was more than I wanted to spend, but if you go through the aggravation (I did) of pricing everything out separately it's the same cost.

Good luck.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had this truck now 2 years and have only ripped off the passenger mirror plastic cover once. Luckily it was only $30 to replace.
My garage doors are the standard 9' wide, leaving me about an inch on each side. Thank god the passenger side mirror is located a little further back then the drivers, so I can do a little swing and get one thru at a time.
It is beyond me how so called engineers can develop a $65-70 thousand dollar truck and not make the towing mirrors option power folding also.
My wife refuses to even try to back it out, and I don't blame her because I have a hell of a time!
dont forget them nuking the $2000 surround vision for a $200 brake module.

doug55579

Reaction score
I hate them. Even worse mine are not heated. On cold winter mornings, they are basically useless.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The non-power folding and "flip up" instead of extend out were the reasons I did not get the tow mirrors. Ford and Nissan with the large mirror up top and convex mirror below were/are a great design. Once I got them set on my Titan I never moved them, and I could see 2.5 lanes over on each side of the truck as well as completely behind me without extending them. Rarely used my actual rear view mirror.
That is the thing I miss most about my Titan. I loved the tow mirrors. They looked great, fit straight into my garage, never had to be moved, and the bottom convex was awesome. I also almost never used my rear view mirror with those tow mirrors. I think it would be freaking awesome to figure out a way of adapting those mirrors to the Ram.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As much as I’ll never get used to the convex on the outside of the mirror (sssooo much better on the bottom) the flip up design is way more sturdy than the pull-out style on my last truck (Ford F-250). They would vibrate at freeway speed and after a few years they began to droop.

A small compromise but the RAM tow mirrors are the most solid design I’ve had, even if my convex mirrors are marginally useful. To combat that I put 2” convex mirrors on the inside upper corner of each mirror. Now I can see me rear tires and don’t have a blind spot.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As much as I’ll never get used to the convex on the outside of the mirror (sssooo much better on the bottom) the flip up design is way more sturdy than the pull-out style on my last truck (Ford F-250). They would vibrate at freeway speed and after a few years they began to droop.

A small compromise but the RAM tow mirrors are the most solid design I’ve had, even if my convex mirrors are marginally useful. To combat that I put 2” convex mirrors on the inside upper corner of each mirror. Now I can see me rear tires and don’t have a blind spot.
I am a bit confused by this. When you flip them out the convex is on the bottom.

And in regular position I have mine aimed at my tires and I can see the whole lane in both sides.

Like when backing into a parking spot. I can see the lines the whole way back and the whole space beside me.

I drove the Jeep Cherokee tonight. No blind spot and you can barely see beside you let alone down at the ground.

I love the tow mirrors on RAM

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have mine set up the same way. When you push the convex that far in it leaves a small blind spot. That's why I have the 2" convex on the main plates as well. Did that on my last truck also.

As much as I'd love to run with them flipped up it makes the truck even wider and some of the streets I commute on have landscaping that encroaches on the road. I already have scrapes on my mirror covers from them with my mirrors folded in. Having them out I would either have to straddle the lanes or eventually end up with a cracked mirror housing.

Plus running with the mirrors up and no load/trailer just makes me look like a d***he IMO ;) ...especially in a 1500.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My tow mirrors only get flipped out when towing...flip out right when backing to trailer and they are flipped down when I walk back to unhook.

My description was when in regular mode.

I was confused by your comment...but now I see what you are saying.

When you said you wanted the convex on the bottom I thought maybe you just had the regular mirrors.

I have no blind spot on either side. I can see a vehicle start up my side and when I lose them in the mirror they are at my front window.

Maybe it is the crew cab long bed that makes them work so well.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My tow mirrors only get flipped out when towing...flip out right when backing to trailer and they are flipped down when I walk back to unhook.

My description was when in regular mode.

I was confused by your comment...but now I see what you are saying.

When you said you wanted the convex on the bottom I thought maybe you just had the regular mirrors.

I have no blind spot on either side. I can see a vehicle start up my side and when I lose them in the mirror they are at my front window.

Maybe it is the crew cab long bed that makes them work so well.

Some folks don't realize the mirrors flip up/tall. My father has the tow mirrors on his 2015, even though he doesn't tow much, and he didn't realize they flipped up until I showed him (after he'd owned the truck for approximately 3 years).

Users who are viewing this thread