5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else is disappointed in the New 2022 1500 build quality?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think it would work there too, just replace it when it get beat up. Some of those trail stripes are too deep for buffing out

That does seem pricey though, PPF is rather expensive to have done and then replaced. I guess maybe some of the higher end self-healing is possible.

Absolutely, a big branch will be hard to buff out, but most lighter stuff is very superficial. Sometimes you see a really striped vehicle leaving the trail, but the majority of that is just dust impressions left by light brushing. It's usually not that bad, even hand buffing with a cleaner wax tends to get most of the actual scratches. I have yet to hit a big branch, I keep a set of hand cutters with me to trim foliage whenever I can.

BowDown

Reaction score
That does seem pricey though, PPF is rather expensive to have done and then replaced. I guess maybe some of the higher end self-healing is possible.

Absolutely, a big branch will be hard to buff out, but most lighter stuff is very superficial. Sometimes you see a really striped vehicle leaving the trail, but the majority of that is just dust impressions left by light brushing. It's usually not that bad, even hand buffing with a cleaner wax tends to get most of the actual scratches. I have yet to hit a big branch, I keep a set of hand cutters with me to trim foliage whenever I can.

Yeah it is but a good repaint is going to cost you 7-10K. A decent junk one would be 5-7K so its cheaper. I paid $1800 for the entire front including full hood and front fenders. IDK what wrapping the entire truck would cost but given the PPF has the same qualities as my ceramic coat thats now worn off, it may be cheaper in the long run as I now need to re-paint correct the from the front doors rearward then re-ceramic coat while the front still looks perfect with no towel scratches and still beads water

RaminTX

Reaction score
I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m bringing it in to have rear wheel liners installed next week and plan to show it to the owner of the dealership. I’ve tried going up the chain of command with no luck. The salesman didn’t reply to my email I sent with pics and the floor manager ( who I’ve dealt with for years when he was a salesman) hasn’t called me back after I left him a voicemail. This is getting ridiculous.

BowDown

Reaction score
I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m bringing it in to have rear wheel liners installed next week and plan to show it to the owner of the dealership. I’ve tried going up the chain of command with no luck. The salesman didn’t reply to my email I sent with pics and the floor manager ( who I’ve dealt with for years when he was a salesman) hasn’t called me back after I left him a voicemail. This is getting ridiculous.

They made the sale, they don't want anything to do with it now.
Sounds like you've had it too long to return it via cooling off/buyers remorse period. Best option, if it bothers you, may be to sell it while the market is good

RJS

Reaction score
It's never pleasant to find these issues but if the truck is otherwise satisfactory, it can be repaired. My 19 Laramie Delmonico Red tri-coat took a major dent just behind the rear wheel well about 6 months ago. The paint was cracked so PDR wasn't possible. I took it to the dealer's body shop which has a fine reputation. They repaired the bed and resprayed the repaired area and clear coated the entire bed side. I'm particular and it looks just like it did when it came from the factory.
Good luck

RamCares

Reaction score
Thanks, I did send the salesman a email with pic of the missing rubber piece. He never replied. I’m going there next week to have my rear wheel liners installed ( they were left out of my original order ) and I will be showing them what i found on this truck.
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional support while your vehicle is in service, we're just a PM away.

Rob
Ram Cares

1ST5THGENRAM

Reaction score
I’ve had my new 2022 Ram 1500 GT for almost 3 weeks now and so far I’m not impressed with the quality that Ram‘s putting out. I’ve owned at least 6 new Rams since 2011 ( all white ) and the paint quality on this one is the worst, orange peel on every panel. Last week I noticed one of the rubber strips between the cab and bed was missing on the passenger side, had to be during assembly. The new 12in Uconnect system is far more glitchy than the previous system on my 2019, It didn’t even come on yesterday till I stopped and restart the truck. You have to be easy on switching between different pages and media sources or it just freezes up. Lastly, I had my son wash it this weekend and he noticed damage inside the front passenger side door jamb. Looks like the door was pushed in hard where it dented the jamb, also looks like body side hinge bolts had to be taken off or tightened as the paint has been chipped off. Not impressed with this truck. We can’t use the excuse of the new body style anymore because it’s in its 4th year, also It can’t be because it’s a GT. This truck is just a mix of parts from existing models. The only thing it can be is poor quality and workmanship.

I’ve had my new 2022 Ram 1500 GT for almost 3 weeks now and so far I’m not impressed with the quality that Ram‘s putting out. I’ve owned at least 6 new Rams since 2011 ( all white ) and the paint quality on this one is the worst, orange peel on every panel. Last week I noticed one of the rubber strips between the cab and bed was missing on the passenger side, had to be during assembly. The new 12in Uconnect system is far more glitchy than the previous system on my 2019, It didn’t even come on yesterday till I stopped and restart the truck. You have to be easy on switching between different pages and media sources or it just freezes up. Lastly, I had my son wash it this weekend and he noticed damage inside the front passenger side door jamb. Looks like the door was pushed in hard where it dented the jamb, also looks like body side hinge bolts had to be taken off or tightened as the paint has been chipped off. Not impressed with this truck. We can’t use the excuse of the new body style anymore because it’s in its 4th year, also It can’t be because it’s a GT. This truck is just a mix of parts from existing models. The only thing it can be is poor quality and workmanship.
I ordered a truck and waited 6 months to get it. I had my 1500 Limited now for about 5 weeks and I am more disappointed in the paint quality than anything else. I have had the touch screen lock up a couple times but it seems it happens when apple carplay is being used. However the orange peel in the paint is terrible. I have a case opened with RAM but my dealer doesnt have a body shop but a preferred shop nearby. Honestly it needs wet sanded and buffed but i am not sure there is enough clear coat for that. BTW, its my first RAM and so far I am pleased with ride, quality of interior, and gas mileage on the 3.0L diesel.

BowDown

Reaction score
I ordered a truck and waited 6 months to get it. I had my 1500 Limited now for about 5 weeks and I am more disappointed in the paint quality than anything else. I have had the touch screen lock up a couple times but it seems it happens when apple carplay is being used. However the orange peel in the paint is terrible. I have a case opened with RAM but my dealer doesnt have a body shop but a preferred shop nearby. Honestly it needs wet sanded and buffed but i am not sure there is enough clear coat for that. BTW, its my first RAM and so far I am pleased with ride, quality of interior, and gas mileage on the 3.0L diesel.

I think you're expecting too much from the paint, you're not getting an orange peel free paint job or even wet sanded and re-poished.

MontFla

Reaction score
My paint job on the patriot blue sucks. Thick water type spots a few popped and now it is down past paint. Dealership says it was inspected before it left. It was getting dark and we had to get home. I did not notice until third day of ownership.

MontFla

Reaction score
Please let me know what they say about paint!!!! Please thanks

Dewey

Reaction score
Please don’t tell me this. 😩

The paint on my 2017 is flawless. I made sure to look it over extremely close before taking delivery. 5 years later I’m still surprised how nice that paint still looks from the factory even after 100’s of trips thru an automatic touchless car wash. 😆

d19r93

Reaction score
They made the sale, they don't want anything to do with it now.
Sounds like you've had it too long to return it via cooling off/buyers remorse period. Best option, if it bothers you, may be to sell it while the market is good
I can say that I've never heard of a cool-off / buyer's remorse period. I was always told that once you drive it off the lot after signing the papers, it's yours (unless it gets bought back within the first year due to lemon law).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My paint job on the patriot blue sucks. Thick water type spots a few popped and now it is down past paint. Dealership says it was inspected before it left. It was getting dark and we had to get home. I did not notice until third day of ownership.
Picture of spot.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can say that I've never heard of a cool-off / buyer's remorse period. I was always told that once you drive it off the lot after signing the papers, it's yours (unless it gets bought back within the first year due to lemon law).
There is one big dealer chain around here that has a 7 day return period.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Please don’t tell me this. 😩

The paint on my 2017 is flawless. I made sure to look it over extremely close before taking delivery. 5 years later I’m still surprised how nice that paint still looks from the factory even after 100’s of trips thru an automatic touchless car wash. 😆
2017 was a good year, mine was smooth as glass. The paint on my 2020 is not nearly as good, besides orange peel there are a couple drips here and there, and one side of the bed is slightly tiger striped. I'm sure it's luck of the draw and who was running the paint booth that day

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2017 was a good year, mine was smooth as glass. The paint on my 2020 is not nearly as good, besides orange peel there are a couple drips here and there, and one side of the bed is slightly tiger striped. I'm sure it's luck of the draw and who was running the paint booth that day

Who runs the paint booth.

Scram1500

Reaction score
A human changes clogged nozzles and calibrates the machine, or not in this case

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A human changes clogged nozzles and calibrates the machine, or not in this case
That’s a lot to ask of the workers. They should be paid for just showing up, right?

Users who are viewing this thread