5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else’s new RAM looks like this underneath?

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I crawled under our new 2021 RAM 1500 North edition today after returning from vacation to see if I could locate the annoying, occasional rattle that seems to only happen at low speed. It had 241 miles on it when purchased at the end of April and now has just over 1,200 miles on it. While under there, I was shocked to see the crappy “paint job” that RAM did on my $50+k truck. Pretty pathetic if ya ask me. Plus I noticed where paint is scraped down to the bare metal on the underside of the cab. I bet when I buy my next new truck, I will crawl under it and not accept something like this. A man shouldn’t have to crawl underneath a brand new truck to look for flaws. View attachment 93571
Contact ram cares ! I would not settle for this. They will make sure it is taken care of. My buddy fou d a crazy amout of rust on the under carriage on his classic when
I crawled under our new 2021 RAM 1500 North edition today after returning from vacation to see if I could locate the annoying, occasional rattle that seems to only happen at low speed. It had 241 miles on it when purchased at the end of April and now has just over 1,200 miles on it. While under there, I was shocked to see the crappy “paint job” that RAM did on my $50+k truck. Pretty pathetic if ya ask me. Plus I noticed where paint is scraped down to the bare metal on the underside of the cab. I bet when I buy my next new truck, I will crawl under it and not accept something like this. A man shouldn’t have to crawl underneath a brand new truck to look for flaws. View attachment 93571
My buddies bought a new classic body and when installing side steps found a crazy amount of rust on the undercarriage. He contact ramcares and they reimbursed the shipping fee of 1695. He use that towards rust proofing.

JD300WM

Reaction score
Contact ram cares ! I would not settle for this. They will make sure it is taken care of. My buddy fou d a crazy amout of rust on the under carriage on his classic when

My buddies bought a new classic body and when installing side steps found a crazy amount of rust on the undercarriage. He contact ramcares and they reimbursed the shipping fee of 1695. He use that towards rust proofing.
How does one contact them?

JD300WM

Reaction score

I sent an email to RAM customer care from the My RAM app. We really like this truck and I want to love it...but I can’t until it’s made right. I had already discussed with my wife about this truck being hers, giving her low mileage 2012 Subaru Legacy Limited to our oldest when she gets her license, and then buying a lower trim level RAM 2500 Crew Cab short bed for me this year. Yes, a Chevy guy willing to go head first into TWO brand new RAM trucks. I will wait to see how RAM handles this before I dive into a second purchase.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. My 2019 (built summer 2018) is dusty but otherwise looks like a show truck underneath. This is unacceptable.

JD300WM

Reaction score
Wow. My 2019 (built summer 2018) is dusty but otherwise looks like a show truck underneath. This is unacceptable.
As someone with OCD with certain things(vehicles being one), I agree. Let’s see if RAM will make it right and keep me as a customer or if they will make me regret giving them a chance and go back to Chevy. I’m hoping for they make it right.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
35 years of Ram ownership and have never had those issues…seems to be random for owners with the exception of the 2019 Rams which they’ve got a TSB to fix (which should have never occurred but some brain dead FCA engineer failed to recheck his slide rule calcs/system design to ensure the temps blowing out the vents were 45 degrees and not 75 degrees).
Unfortunately the TSB places you in hands of the Ram service department which can be lackluster at times to say the least

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I live where the roads are heavily salted and pre treated with the liquid in the winter. The truck was built Sept 2020. I’m not happy about this at all. Plus idk how that scrape got on the underside of the cab😡. I was always a RAM/Mopar hater and finally decided to give them a try and this is what I get. I had honestly hoped that this truck would make me eat every anti Mopar word that I’ve ever said, but so far things like this I’m discovering isn’t helping with that lol.
In your case, I would definitely hit the underside with Fluid Film. Even if the under coat looked OK, it is still pretty thin and won't last under your type of conditions. I'd guess that isn't a scrape, looks like a spot that wasn't dry and was contacted.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't even bother contacting FCA as I am the type of guy who would rather do it right the first time than take it to the dealer for a half-assed job that doesn't measure up - not to mention the time they would have my truck. I did the Rustoleum on a Friday afternoon for about an hour and took my time for a couple of hours with a couple cold ones doing the Fluid Film on a Saturday afternoon. Paint, supplies and Fluid Film was about $80. Worth every penny knowing it was done right by me in my driveway versus a service writer and mechanic at an FCA dealership who sees the work to be done on my truck as a profit center and to get it done as quickly as possible.

I wish we could go back to the old days when I was young and they gave you a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Discount the price of the truck by FCA eliminating their future liability and I'll take the risk. Dealerships have never been the shining star of any vehicle ownership experience of mine thus I'd rather do the work myself and know it was done correctly (and thoroughly) the first time.

JD300WM

Reaction score
I didn't even bother contacting FCA as I am the type of guy who would rather do it right the first time than take it to the dealer for a half-assed job that doesn't measure up - not to mention the time they would have my truck. I did the Rustoleum on a Friday afternoon for about an hour and took my time for a couple of hours with a couple cold ones doing the Fluid Film on a Saturday afternoon. Paint, supplies and Fluid Film was about $80. Worth every penny knowing it was done right by me in my driveway versus a service writer and mechanic at an FCA dealership who sees the work to be done on my truck as a profit center and to get it done as quickly as possible.

I wish we could go back to the old days when I was young and they gave you a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Discount the price of the truck by FCA eliminating their future liability and I'll take the risk. Dealerships have never been the shining star of any vehicle ownership experience of mine thus I'd rather do the work myself and know it was done correctly (and thoroughly) the first time.
Thank you for the advice and info. I’d be ok with new vehicles coming with 1/3 the warranty if the vehicles were sold at 1/3 the current price.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

And if you wanted a rear bumper it was a option add on!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea that does not look normal, my axle is completly painted
Yea, mine looks almost like new after almost three years. This looks almost as bad as the new Ford's.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am curious…what is the build date of your truck? Mine was 08302020.

ManBearPigNJ

Reaction score
It seems like build quality has been FIAT’s contribution to the Stellantis stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online