5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who else’s new RAM looks like this underneath?

JD300WM

Reaction score
Am curious…what is the build date of your truck? Mine was 08302020.
Build date was 9-2020. Something of interest...was underneath it last evening and noticed that the sticker on the rear sway bar has a date of 11/9/20🤔

Attachments

• 58C9CC34-76A2-4A82-B44D-FB7E4CB56516.jpeg
    58C9CC34-76A2-4A82-B44D-FB7E4CB56516.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 9E8A978B-B0EE-4A93-84F2-2A12AC144A8A.jpeg
    9E8A978B-B0EE-4A93-84F2-2A12AC144A8A.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 98

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build date was 9-2020. Something of interest...was underneath it last evening and noticed that the sticker on the rear sway bar has a date of 11/9/20🤔
The sway bar date would be 11 September 2020 which would coincide with when your truck was built. Likewise, it is plausible FCA had a shipment of rear ends come in late August through mid-September that didn’t get coated properly. This would explain why ours is different from the other owners comments on this forum.

JD300WM

Reaction score
Got an email at 7:19am from RAM customer care:

“We are disappointed to learn of your concern with a rattle noise and the under carriage painting regarding your 2021 Ram 1500.
>
> Based on the information that you have provided, the best plan of action would be for you to see one of our authorized dealerships for a diagnosis. Our dealerships have the appropriate technical training and information available to them to diagnose and address concerns with our vehicles. For your convenience, we have provided contact information for 2 dealerships in your area below.”
I was informed that I could take it to any aUthorized RAM dealer and didn’t have to take it back to where I purchased it. There are 2 authorized RAM dealers closer to me than the one I purchased at. I guess I’ll try them first unless someone thinks otherwise.
I’ll keep you guys and girls posted.

JD300WM

Reaction score
The sway bar date would be 11 September 2020 which would coincide with when your truck was built. Likewise, it is plausible FCA had a shipment of rear ends come in late August through mid-September that didn’t get coated properly. This would explain why ours is different from the other owners comments on this forum.
Thank you for your informative replies 😊 I’m going to take it to a dealer to have this addressed and have the oil and filter changed. What oil do you recommend? Is Amsoil approved?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your informative replies 😊 I’m going to take it to a dealer to have this addressed and have the oil and filter changed. What oil do you recommend? Is Amsoil approved?
I don’t recommend oil as it is far too personal of a decision and typically results in huge threads of postings with one guy calling another a fool - and degrading into comments about our mamas. I don’t go there. All I will indicate is I use synthetic and change it every 5,000 miles.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow..... thats pathetic! Missed the entire axel when spraying it...

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Got an email at 7:19am from RAM customer care:

“We are disappointed to learn of your concern with a rattle noise and the under carriage painting regarding your 2021 Ram 1500.
>
> Based on the information that you have provided, the best plan of action would be for you to see one of our authorized dealerships for a diagnosis. Our dealerships have the appropriate technical training and information available to them to diagnose and address concerns with our vehicles. For your convenience, we have provided contact information for 2 dealerships in your area below.”
I was informed that I could take it to any aUthorized RAM dealer and didn’t have to take it back to where I purchased it. There are 2 authorized RAM dealers closer to me than the one I purchased at. I guess I’ll try them first unless someone thinks otherwise.
I’ll keep you guys and girls posted.
You can definitely take it to any CDJR dealership and they suppose to be able to take care of your issues under warranty. You don't have to go to the dealership you bought from.

thos.hargrove

Reaction score
Blame Ram and blame the dealer. The dealers are paid by manufacturers to inspect and prep the vehicles for delivery. Part of that inspection should involve putting the vehicle up on a lift to be sure all is within specs. The selling dealer either didn't inspect the underside of the vehicle, or their technician believed something like this was acceptable.

JD300WM

Reaction score
Blame Ram and blame the dealer. The dealers are paid by manufacturers to inspect and prep the vehicles for delivery. Part of that inspection should involve putting the vehicle up on a lift to be sure all is within specs. The selling dealer either didn't inspect the underside of the vehicle, or their technician believed something like this was acceptable.
I will contact the dealer I bought it from then. The dealer I bought it from had it transferred to their store from another one of their stores for me to pick up.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
European date format is Day/Month/Year so that part might be correct with the build month of September for both the part and truck..

JD300WM

Reaction score
Ok everyone took the truck to the dealer I bought it from. RAM wants to replace the axle housing with a brand new one...I didn’t even have to ask or debate with them. I’m actually stunned because I figured they would either tell me that they would paint/undercoat it or for me to just kick rocks. I’m impressed. Now I must decide if I want the rear end disassembled and swapped over to a new housing or see if they will pay to have it painted. Thoughts?

mophead

Reaction score
I'd take the new one. Unless they properly prep this one, which they prolly won't, the paint won't stick as well.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Ok everyone took the truck to the dealer I bought it from. RAM wants to replace the axle housing with a brand new one...I didn’t even have to ask or debate with them. I’m actually stunned because I figured they would either tell me that they would paint/undercoat it or for me to just kick rocks. I’m impressed. Now I must decide if I want the rear end disassembled and swapped over to a new housing or see if they will pay to have it painted. Thoughts?
That's great. Now you know why a pick-up cost 60k; because an entire differential gets replaced due to a poor paint job:LOL:

Every20years

Reaction score
Let us know the outcome for sure. I really hope they do you right and you can tell a good story about a service department from a dealership! I’ve been making fun of a buddy with a 2018 F150 Platinum that has spent the about 6 of the last 10 weeks with out his truck because as soon as the dealer fixed one thing it was in for another related item. His only response is “thank god for the warranty”

ben b

Reaction score
I've followed this thread for the last few days. Went to the dealer today and looked under 5 or 6 brand new RAM 1500s. One looked perfect. All the others were flawed, although none anywhere as bad as the original poster's. My best guess is something in the shipping process scraped the paint off these since the flaws were so consistent. Frustrating for customers of course, who are the biggest concern. But also for the factory -- I believe that production engineers do strive very hard for perfection. Seeing their delivered product fall short because of a faulty process outside the factory must be very aggravating to them.

Underbody_flaws2.png

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s the straps or chains they use when loading on trains or trucks for transport.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've followed this thread for the last few days. Went to the dealer today and looked under 5 or 6 brand new RAM 1500s. One looked perfect. All the others were flawed, although none anywhere as bad as the original poster's. My best guess is something in the shipping process scraped the paint off these since the flaws were so consistent. Frustrating for customers of course, who are the biggest concern. But also for the factory -- I believe that production engineers do strive very hard for perfection. Seeing their delivered product fall short because of a faulty process outside the factory must be very aggravating to them.

View attachment 93829
I wish mine looked that good! It looked like a sunset under there with shades of rust red and corrosion yellow.

JD300WM

Reaction score
Let us know the outcome for sure. I really hope they do you right and you can tell a good story about a service department from a dealership! I’ve been making fun of a buddy with a 2018 F150 Platinum that has spent the about 6 of the last 10 weeks with out his truck because as soon as the dealer fixed one thing it was in for another related item. His only response is “thank god for the warranty”
I definitely will let you all know the outcome. That’s my biggest fear...taking it in for a new axle housing and then having to constantly go back. I don’t want to be paying a payment on something I’m not even driving. I took a big step being a Chevy guy and being open minded by giving RAM a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread