5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who all has NOT had problems?

RAM1369!

Reaction score
Had truck since 5/26/18, about 7700 miles on it. Daily driver(short commute) no issues with it, awesome truck!

Laramie81

Reaction score
Zero problems but only 1300 miles. I will say that if your truck does not come with fixed running boards, do yourself a favor and have some paint protection film added to the fronts of the rear fender flares. They take an unfortunate beating and will chip immediately.

Attachments

• 1CB44F7D-E797-43FA-AA70-AC0BB2FCDAF2.jpeg
    1CB44F7D-E797-43FA-AA70-AC0BB2FCDAF2.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 27

jmp671

Reaction score
2019 Laramie purchased in Jan. Have had it in now 5 times to address brake screeching issues that seem to be pretty well documented here in these threads. Was fed up yesterday that every time I touched the brakes in perfectly dry weather I could hear the squeal over the radio that I dropped it back at the dealer and told them I wasn't picking it up until it was fixed.

Known defects with front and rear brakes lead me to believe they made it out of cheap materials. Service Tech Manager even said the thought the rotors were crap metal. Oh, and they have already resurfaced my rotors, replaced the pads 2x, replaced the rotors and calipers. Still nothing stops this.

Not sure I would make the same buying decision at this point. Car has been in the shop for 7 days now and likely 4-5 more this week. Haven't even had it 3 months yet.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Sad to see that.

I have the brake squeal but will likely be upgrading to performance pads and rotors when available. I don’t like the dealer touching my stuff unless it’s simple. I’ll do my own work thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmp671

Reaction score
Sad to see that.

I have the brake squeal but will likely be upgrading to performance pads and rotors when available. I don’t like the dealer touching my stuff unless it’s simple. I’ll do my own work thank you

@Nordic -

Been thinking the same thing on upgrading. Nothing seems to be ready yet though. What’s your recommendation in terms of supplier when they are available?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another July build with no problems.

@jmp671 the brake pads are probably from Akebono. They are the largest OEM brake supplier. They are far from junk. Noise doesn't relate to junk. Most of my Corvettes had the noisiest brakes of anything owned and they performed the best as well. They'd get noisy after driving and braking easy. They needed hard braking to keep quiet. I solved the noisy Corvette brakes with my current one. Carbon ceramic - not cheap......

jmp671

Reaction score
Another July build with no problems.

@jmp671 the brake pads are probably from Akebono. They are the largest OEM brake supplier. They are far from junk. Noise doesn't relate to junk. Most of my Corvettes had the noisiest brakes of anything owned and they performed the best as well. They'd get noisy after driving and braking easy. They needed hard braking to keep quiet. I solved the noisy Corvette brakes with my current one. Carbon ceramic - not cheap......

Jus- wasn’t referring to the pads being junk, more the rotors from what the mechanics are saying. Had numerous mechanics tell me the hot spotting on the 2019 rotors is bad. Take that for what it’s worth.

Admittedly not a hands on car guy other than the basics. What is it about the hard breaking that resolves that. Have a number of friends with the same issues on their 2019

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got this one in last month Feb right at 1000 miles could not be happier no issues what so ever. Hernnstien the dealer out Of Chillicothe/Waverly Ohio sucks but the truck is great!

dmodem

Reaction score
Zero problems but only 1300 miles. I will say that if your truck does not come with fixed running boards, do yourself a favor and have some paint protection film added to the fronts of the rear fender flares. They take an unfortunate beating and will chip immediately.

Agreed. Mine has just over 4300 miles with the same result.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
@Nordic -

Been thinking the same thing on upgrading. Nothing seems to be ready yet though. What’s your recommendation in terms of supplier when they are available?

A carbon ceramic is the best option but are expensive.

Probably jus need to be patient and see what comes out honestly. It will be a while yet. Until then once your brakes get warm be a little more firm on them. Should cut down in the squeaking substantially.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jus- wasn’t referring to the pads being junk, more the rotors from what the mechanics are saying. Had numerous mechanics tell me the hot spotting on the 2019 rotors is bad. Take that for what it’s worth.

Admittedly not a hands on car guy other than the basics. What is it about the hard breaking that resolves that. Have a number of friends with the same issues on their 2019
My truck sits outside and the rotors get surface rust on them all the time. I haven't noticed any marking/hot spotting on them. I do brake maybe harder than most people. I don't ease up to stops riding the brakes lightly.

As far as carbon ceramics..... You'll never see them developed for a pickup truck. High performance cars only. They were about a $10,000 option on my Corvette. The rotors will outlast the car - street driving. But they are very fragile. I have foam covers for them to protect against the wheel nicking them during removal.

whetrick1

Reaction score

I think it's because a lot of soft breaking causes the pads to glaze up the rotors and when you hard break it breaks off the glazing.

Rockman

Reaction score
Bought mine in August 2018... 22,000 miles not any real problems. Had all new brakes installed at dealer for noise done in one day with a couple software updates.. truck runs great!

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's because a lot of soft breaking causes the pads to glaze up the rotors and when you hard break it breaks off the glazing.
The rotors on the Ram are large. Light use can cause issues. This has been discussed here. I "bedded" my brakes the first week I drove the truck to avoid issues. Basically performed numerous hard stops back to back to heat up the rotors and mate the surfaces. I've had no issues.

Jaysond

Reaction score
Bought in June, 17,373 miles, no problems. Great truck, quality seems to be as good or better than all the GM's I had in the past. Ride quality is better, although the off-road package makes it ride a little more firm than I'd prefer on the highway, rides more like a 3/4 ton in my opinion (which isn't all bad, stable in corners and off road). Fender flares are a little soft & are prone to little dings and chips as mentioned above. Hear an occasional brake squeal, especially when backing out of the shed in the morning, but no big deal. Hear a little more wind noise around the driver's door on a windy day than with the GM's, that's probably my biggest disappointment. Heat and AC aren't stellar, but they're acceptable; seems to take a little time to get to the preset temp. Auto dimming headlights aren't usable, in my area anyway; reflection from the newer, highly reflective road signs off the LED headlights causes dim/bright/dim/bright. I still miss the GM rear bumper steps. All in all though, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and there are a ton of positives. Love the Hemi & the 8 spd transmission, they work together flawlessly, big step up from the GM 5.3. Next one will be another RAM unless something changes drastically. Waiting for a 6'4" box with Rambox!

WV_RAM

Reaction score
Purchased in August......8500 miles zero problems...best truck I've ever owned!

whetrick1

Reaction score
Purchased mine at the end of Oct. And had a bad body mount and since it's been replaced no problems. 6000.00 mile on it.

Users who are viewing this thread