5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which models have active air dam and grille shutters?

brdima

Reaction score
Ramtrucks.com makes it read like all models have the active air dam and active grille shutters, except air ride equipped trucks.
My owners manual doesn’t mention either feature. My windows sticker didn’t mention it either.
I’m driving a 19 bighorn off road crew cab v8. Does my truck have it?

smiles5619

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport (Canadian Edition). It has both.

HotStuff

Reaction score
Ramtrucks.com makes it read like all models have the active air dam and active grille shutters, except air ride equipped trucks.
My owners manual doesn’t mention either feature. My windows sticker didn’t mention it either.
I’m driving a 19 bighorn off road crew cab v8. Does my truck have it?
Just look behind the front air damn. My truck has the active air damn. I'll bet you're does too.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was curious about the same. What I've seen is that the air dam is not active on the models with four-wheel air suspension. Can anyone confirm that the air suspension models do not have the active air dam since the entire front end lowers. This would be important for me because I want to put a front end hitch on it for a small plow and I plan on ordering a 2019!limited with air suspension and hope they do NOT have the active air dam on the front.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension does not have active air damn... and the owner's manual says to not install a snow plow (pg 417)

1550492060495.png

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Hoping that is that for a large regular snow plow with the full large plow brackets, weight, etc. What I am using is a small lightweight personal plow that just goes into a 2 inch receiver much like a bike rack or surfcasting rack/cooler on front. Weights just a few hundred pounds.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Hoping that is that for a large regular snow plow with the full large plow brackets, weight, etc. What I am using is a small lightweight personal plow that just goes into a 2 inch receiver much like a bike rack or surfcasting rack/cooler on front. Weights just a few hundred pounds.

No idea... just figured I'd toss that out there in case you hadn't seen it...

Maple

Reaction score
There would be two lines on your build sheet:

Upper Active Grille Shutters
Active Front Air Dams

Air suspension does not have active front air dam, as the whole truck lowers into "aero" mode automatically at speed.

tgtt

Reaction score
Laramie with off road package:

ecd7dbb8bbbc4ba9f07a1a173312dc38.jpg

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

brdima

Reaction score
Perfect. Found on the build sheet and actually looked in the grille and under the front bumper.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There would be two lines on your build sheet:

Upper Active Grille Shutters
Active Front Air Dams

Air suspension does not have active front air dam, as the whole truck lowers into "aero" mode automatically at speed.
That's right. My truck (air suspension) has a one-piece plastic 'skirt' around the lower edge, as opposed to the multi-piece skirt for non-air trucks.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's right. My truck (air suspension) has a one-piece plastic 'skirt' around the lower edge, as opposed to the multi-piece skirt for non-air trucks.
Good to know. I'm assuming I would have to cut a 2in notch out of the skirt like I did on my Avalanche to put the receiver in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

TwinSac

Reaction score
Laramie with off road package:

ecd7dbb8bbbc4ba9f07a1a173312dc38.jpg

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk
Active Front Air Dams...is that the same as Active Air Shutters?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Limited (with air suspension) has active grill shutters, fixed front air dam and active front air dam...
We’ve already established that yours is evidence of a change in production (either that or just jacked up!) :)

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can I add a Active Front Air Dam to my 2020? has anyone done this? Are the trucks pre-wired for it? Is it plug & play?

The active front air dam is not available on yours because you have the air suspension and this compensates for it, it may not have the plug ins to put it on there and it would have to be "flashed" into the BCM to get it to work correctly and this may not be able to do this because of the air suspension.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The active front air dam is not available on yours because you have the air suspension and this compensates for it, it may not have the plug ins to put it on there and it would have to be "flashed" into the BCM to get it to work correctly and this may not be able to do this because of the air suspension.

FYI - Posts #2 and #14 on this thread say they have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online