5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When dealership fixes and replaces parts under warranty Am i allowed to request the broken part be given to me upon pickup?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would like to be able to obtain the broken/failed parts which were replaced by the dealership on my truck so I can get a clear picture of how severe the part's failure was and what I should do to prepare and maintain my tuck's future mileage...

Any one else do this?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Nope.

You didn't pay for the repair so you don't get the parts. The factory may want them, or they may just tell the dealer to trash 'em. But that's their decision, not yours. If you're on good terms with the service writer, he can probably prevail upon the tech to save the parts to show you, but you won't get to take them.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ what he said. If you pay for the fix... sure, you have the right to get any broken/replaced parts returned to you.

But if the factory is footing the bill, the old parts don't belong to you (even though they came off your vehicle).

U

User_3336

I had a friend that always used to take his truck in for an oil change with his own oil and filter, and would request the empty oil bottles and the old oil filter (I guess to prove they really changed it).

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a friend that always used to take his truck in for an oil change with his own oil and filter, and would request the empty oil bottles and the old oil filter (I guess to prove they really changed it).
Based on a few posts I've seen here (and other forums)...that is a totally legit concern!

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This truck has caused my life such hassle, setback, and inconvenience . A $60.000 truck with a total of 45K miles and I have had to bring to the dealership multiple times for major engine part replacement. I've been stranded without my truck for he last 21 days while it sits at the dealership waiting for a new cylinder head to be delivered. I'm self-employed and 100% rely on my truck every day. Every day without my truck I am losing $$$. And Ram could care less. Dealership tells me to call FCA and start a case so they can assist by having the parts expedited. Complete waste of time with no assistance at all. They can't even tell me when the part is expected to arrive... Bottom line it's unacceptable. After 22 days without a vehicle customer service should be implemented and A rental or assistance with one could be the least they could provide. the dealership told me they were able to reserve a pick-up truck rental from the Local Enterprise for me. all i had to do is pay the $130 a day and I could rent it for as many days as i want. 22 days would currently put me at $2,860.00 in rental fees while I wait for the dealership to fix my truck under warranty.

I joined 5thgenrams on October 30, 2018 and I have read a lot of negative posts on this forum from upset Ram owners and though today I have broken my positive post-only streak I would like to end my rant by giving some much deserved recognition to 5thgenrams. This site has been such a valuable resource for myself with my truck over the last 2+ years with the help from it's members providing me with guidance, clarity, and knowledge of which I am genuinely grateful for.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a frustrating story...and I get that parts availability can be out of their control. But I think I am more shocked that they would not provide a loaner vehicle for any portion of time. Have you check with your insurance? I had a Silverado that I had to take in for repairs and my insurance covered my rental in full for however long I needed it. Granted it was only a few days but I was able to get whatever I wanted for however long I needed it.

BowDown

Reaction score
This truck has caused my life such hassle, setback, and inconvenience . A $60.000 truck with a total of 45K miles and I have had to bring to the dealership multiple times for major engine part replacement. I've been stranded without my truck for he last 21 days while it sits at the dealership waiting for a new cylinder head to be delivered. I'm self-employed and 100% rely on my truck every day. Every day without my truck I am losing $$$. And Ram could care less. Dealership tells me to call FCA and start a case so they can assist by having the parts expedited. Complete waste of time with no assistance at all. They can't even tell me when the part is expected to arrive... Bottom line it's unacceptable. After 22 days without a vehicle customer service should be implemented and A rental or assistance with one could be the least they could provide. the dealership told me they were able to reserve a pick-up truck rental from the Local Enterprise for me. all i had to do is pay the $130 a day and I could rent it for as many days as i want. 22 days would currently put me at $2,860.00 in rental fees while I wait for the dealership to fix my truck under warranty.

I joined 5thgenrams on October 30, 2018 and I have read a lot of negative posts on this forum from upset Ram owners and though today I have broken my positive post-only streak I would like to end my rant by giving some much deserved recognition to 5thgenrams. This site has been such a valuable resource for myself with my truck over the last 2+ years with the help from it's members providing me with guidance, clarity, and knowledge of which I am genuinely grateful for.

Do you expect the millions of problem free happy owners to spend time reporting that they have no issues? Of course you're going to find trash when you dig through a trash can what else would be there so there's no shock that you come to 5thgenrams and find a high number of complaints. Guess what you'll find on f150online, corvetteforum, mustang forums, camaro forums, silverado forums, ferrari chat ect....
Curious though, if the truck was $10K would you be ok with problems?

BowDown

Reaction score
I would like to be able to obtain the broken/failed parts which were replaced by the dealership on my truck so I can get a clear picture of how severe the part's failure was and what I should do to prepare and maintain my tuck's future mileage...

Any one else do this?

Warranty parts are usually requested back to study the reason for failure but also as others stated, not your parts

magic280z

Reaction score
The loaner part seems to depend on dealership. I took mine in for a window regulator and the needed a part that would take the weekend to arrive. They gave me a rental for the weekend.

You would think in 22 days even if they didn't have a loaner one would have showed up by now.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

BowDown

Reaction score
The loaner part seems to depend on dealership. I took mine in for a window regulator and the needed a part that would take the weekend to arrive. They gave me a rental for the weekend.

You would think in 22 days even if they didn't have a loaner one would have showed up by now.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Likely warranty related. I believe 3/36 gives you a loaner, the extended warranty also does

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Loaners:

RAM: I have only been in twice at the same stealership, so take it with a grain of salt.. but, I got into a hypothetical debate over this with the service manager, when my truck was in for the rear window was leaking.. he told me they only provide a loaner if the repair will take longer than 1 business day (does not include the day you drop the truck off), it has to be preapproved by RAM, and if they have any loaners instock. Also, if your vehicle is driveable, they will not provide a loaner while they are waiting on parts to come in. So if your HVAC system goes out, infotainment system dies, truck is leaking water (good thing I have a garage), etc you're ****-out-of-luck and stuck driving the truck without heat/air, radio, dumping water on your head, etc. If it's 'safe' to drive, you're driving it. Now, he also said you can argue, ask for the GM, raise hell, etc and they usually cave.. but the above is the 'policy' they're supposed to follow. The wife and I work in the same business park, so it was no big deal for us.. but if this had been a few years prior, it would have really caused issues.

By comparison, Ford ALWAYS gave me a loaner if the warranty repair was going to take longer than the same day. They would even go down to the local Enterprise to get a car if they did not have a loaner available.

U

User_3336

Loaners:

RAM: I have only been in twice at the same stealership, so take it with a grain of salt.. but, I got into a hypothetical debate over this with the service manager, when my truck was in for the rear window was leaking.. he told me they only provide a loaner if the repair will take longer than 1 business day (does not include the day you drop the truck off), it has to be preapproved by RAM, and if they have any loaners instock. Also, if your vehicle is driveable, they will not provide a loaner while they are waiting on parts to come in. So if your HVAC system goes out, infotainment system dies, truck is leaking water (good thing I have a garage), etc you're ****-out-of-luck and stuck driving the truck without heat/air, radio, dumping water on your head, etc. If it's 'safe' to drive, you're driving it. Now, he also said you can argue, ask for the GM, raise hell, etc and they usually cave.. but the above is the 'policy' they're supposed to follow. The wife and I work in the same business park, so it was no big deal for us.. but if this had been a few years prior, it would have really caused issues.

By comparison, Ford ALWAYS gave me a loaner if the warranty repair was going to take longer than the same day. They would even go down to the local Enterprise to get a car if they did not have a loaner available.
the Mopar ESP Max Care provides a first day rental if you purchased the extra coverage.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RAMcares will cover a rental (up to a certain $ amount obviously) if you ask them.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This truck has caused my life such hassle, setback, and inconvenience . A $60.000 truck with a total of 45K miles
At 45k, you're out of factory warranty. Is a rental covered in your extended warranty? Parts shortages suck all over right now and not many dealers are doing loaners due to liability. Instead they put you in a rental that's covered by RAM. That said, it usually needs to be another CDJR product, they won't put you in rental that's a chevy for instance. Definitely sucks and I would reach out to @RamCares here. They seemed to have helped a few people.

myles

Reaction score

I feel you, ive already had to bring my truck in a few times to get things fixed, leaking motor, leaking axle seal, dash popping up...
Only one that took a while was the engine leak, they had it for about 2 weeks, after a day I convinced the service advisor to give me a loaner Jeep by giving him a $25 starbucks gift card that I got from work :ROFLMAO:. But once Ram approves the repair they should be giving you a loaner since the car is not drivable. And they must have approved the repair since they order a new head. Maybe talk to the general manager at the dealer and see what he can do.

Powerbandjohnny

Reaction score
Regarding the loaner it sounds like it depends on dealership if one is provided. My dealership gave me one for 2 days while they replaced steering wheel. On another occasion I had a leaking backglass and when I took it in they were out of loaners so they flipped the bill and got me a rental truck through enterprise until new window came in and was installed. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... so I just got off the phone with the FCA rep handling my case and she informed me the Part ( Cylinder head ) which was to supposedly delivered to the dealership on the 22nd was the wrong part in the correct packaging so they had to re-order the part and it's estimated arrival date is now July 2nd.

" Mopar put the wrong cylinder head in the box" ....

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
.... so I just got off the phone with the FCA rep handling my case and she informed me the Part ( Cylinder head ) which was to supposedly delivered to the dealership on the 22nd was the wrong part in the correct packaging so they had to re-order the part and it's estimated arrival date is now July 2nd.

" Mopar put the wrong cylinder head in the box" ....
That's believable. When I ordered rubber floormats, I got two right fronts and no left front.

Users who are viewing this thread