5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are they gonna start building new trucks?

2slow95vert

Reaction score
I'm close to ordering a new Laramie. Anybody have a clue when the factory might reopen?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope. The people who work there don't even have a clue yet. Michigan is still in lockdown till the 28th, although they may slowly relax restrictions in the coming weeks. I wouldn't count on them opening the plant before then, and even when it does reopen it'll be far from full production for a while. Buying one already on a dealer's lot is your best bet unless you're willing to wait for a while.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
There are also supplier questions. I was recently in for service and in need of a replacement trailer brake controller. They said the parts are on backorder until September.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
W
There are also supplier questions. I was recently in for service and in need of a replacement trailer brake controller. They said the parts are on backorder until September.
Absolutely. That will likely end up being a bigger (and longer term) problem beyond just getting the assembly plants back open. There will be issues all the way down the supply chain.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
I ordered a Limited on 4/27. I knew it might take a bit to get the factories back up and running. At the time of my order they were saying May 4th to resume, now that has moved to May 18th or maybe even the 28th. Knowing that the factories usually switch over in June, I really wonder at this point will there even be any more 2020’s produced this year or will they just go ahead and switch over for the 2021 MY. ”If” that were to happen, I would assume that those of us that submitted an order would have the right to receive a full refund or have the option to re-order a 2021. Thoughts?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ordered a Limited on 4/27. I knew it might take a bit to get the factories back up and running. At the time of my order they were saying May 4th to resume, now that has moved to May 18th or maybe even the 28th. Knowing that the factories usually switch over in June, I really wonder at this point will there even be any more 2020’s produced this year or will they just go ahead and switch over for the 2021 MY. ”If” that were to happen, I would assume that those of us that submitted an order would have the right to receive a full refund or have the option to re-order a 2021. Thoughts?
I would think you’d either get the refund or be able to change the order for a 2021

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
My thought is that they will make no changes to the 2021, except maybe raise the MSRP. And then they will tell you that, since your order was in already, you can get a 2021 at the 2020 price. Isn't that great?

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
That would be an interesting option, however something tells me that their lawyers would say they would need to refund us our deposits or order a 2021. The paperwork says that agreed to sell a “2020” for X number of dollars Not a 2021.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they are planning to start 5/18. We will see if it happens. They backed off the 5/4 date at the end of April.
Doubt it'll be that soon. As I said, the people who work there haven't even been given any info yet. I know people in material handling/delivery at SHAP and they are saying probably June now. The Mexican government has extended their mandatory shutdown till May 30 now. All Hemis, some V6s/4 cylinders, and many, MANY other parts are sourced from Mexico. Can't build the trucks (or much of anything else) without those parts. Doesn't hurt to think positive though...

Last edited:

Scram1500

Reaction score
may 18th per uaw….IF governor of Michigan grants it...
She's a bottom feeder. She allowed people to go canoeing, sailing, kayaking, etc., but doesn't allow motor boats..... what a slimeball

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. Robocalls went out today to employees of US plants. 5/18 is the (very fuzzy) target for everyone except Belvedere. Mexico will still be a problem for everyone though regardless of when they technically 'open'.

stronbl

Reaction score
I saw the May 18th restart date today too; big Q1 loss for FCA. I'm hopeful as I ordered a 2020 Limited on March 3rd. Got a nice email from Ram Brand on April 4th about the truck being built but would be delayed. I have a VIN so I guess they will build it at some point. I can wait it out (good idea about 2021 if it drags on much longer). I just hope that once they actually do restart that everyone, and I mean everyone, is excited and happy about getting back to work. Not too keen on a new truck where half the line is pissed off about safety, etc.

airgas1998

Reaction score
I saw the May 18th restart date today too; big Q1 loss for FCA. I'm hopeful as I ordered a 2020 Limited on March 3rd. Got a nice email from Ram Brand on April 4th about the truck being built but would be delayed. I have a VIN so I guess they will build it at some point. I can wait it out (good idea about 2021 if it drags on much longer). I just hope that once they actually do restart that everyone, and I mean everyone, is excited and happy about getting back to work. Not too keen on a new truck where half the line is pissed off about safety, etc.
yeah no ****tt...think that missing fender clip was an issue you just wait.....;)

Checkmate251

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, I ordered my Laramie on 3/5! Went to D1 status on 3/12 , received a vin # with a approximate build date in the week the plant closed. Have not heard a thing since. From what I understand D1 means that all parts to build the truck are on sight and truck will be assigned a build date.
I feel the same way about the truck being one of the first down the line with new workers and ones that don’t want to be there during this! I just have a gut feeling until things are running for a couple of weeks there will be lots of mistakes on trucks! This will be my fourth Ram, second week be I have special ordered and I have never had one problem with any of them!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to the Detroit News, they are shooting for the 18th of May. Of course the "Queen of Michigan" might have something to say about it......

At least my basement project is restarting tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread