5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your experience with your local RAM dealer's service dept.

dannydyn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering what's everyone's exeprience been with their local dealer's service dept. I have a couple of them in my vicinity, and while their sales departments seem to be good, their service depts. have absolutely atrocious reviews. Zero customer service, ghosting, etc.

Coming from Audi where the customer is king, this kind of stuff is scaring me a bit. This will be my first domestic vehicle so not sure if the reviews I've been reading are the rule or exception.... Is this something widespread with CJDR dealers?

Thank you in advance

A couple of pictures from inside the service dept.... not a place I would like to have my $80k truck serviced at:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 2 CDJR dealers I have developed relationships with and bring my vehicles to and both have been great for service. This is likely at least in part due to the fact there are 11 CDJR dealerships withing an hour of me but I also think it reflects the relationship I've built with them through purchases and service as well as how I treat the staff etc. I would say they don't always match my experience with subaru service centers but they are pretty close.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on which one. I have four different CDJR dealers within 1/2 hour of my house. They all have issues just a matter of what you are willing to accept. Always helps to actually have some mechanical knowledge when going to any repair shop so you know if they are trying to screw you over.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I perform all my work, including the warranty repairs. I know that it is done correctly without the hassle. That doesn't help.

Ask for a tour and have them take you through the service department, detail area, and even parts.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have at least 7 Ram dealers within 10 or 15 miles, but I love the second closest one to me, for service. Even though I didn't buy there, and have only had a couple minor repairs and recalls there, they know me when I walk in. I actually stopped it there today, to check about my recall appointment next week, and had a nice talk with my write up woman, and the one next to her. They shuttle me for free, back home, and will pick me up when complete, and one time, when the mechanic had an emergency, and had to leave, They picked me up to go get a free loaner for the weekend, since my car was not done.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I perform all my work, including the warranty repairs. I know that it is done correctly without the hassle. That doesn't help.

Ask for a tour and have them take you through the service department, detail area, and even parts.
When you say you perform your own warranty work are you saying you just eat that cost or are you doing the work and submitting proof of your labor and parts to Ram and getting reimbursed?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you say you perform your own warranty work are you saying you just eat that cost or are you doing the work and submitting proof of your labor and parts to Ram and getting reimbursed?
Just work a a dealer and treat everyone the same. After all I am in a customer service industry, without customers I wouldn't be able to do the things I do.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering what's everyone's exeprience been with their local dealer's service dept. I have a couple of them in my vicinity, and while their sales departments seem to be good, their service depts. have absolutely atrocious reviews. Zero customer service, ghosting, etc.

Coming from Audi where the customer is king, this kind of stuff is scaring me a bit. This will be my first domestic vehicle so not sure if the reviews I've been reading are the rule or exception.... Is this something widespread with CJDR dealers?

Thank you in advance

A couple of pictures from inside the service dept.... not a place I would like to have my $80k truck serviced at:

100% my experience. Great sales department, lousy service department where they don't even return calls. It's to the point I do my own oil changes because I don't trust the dealership.

I live in San Diego, which I believe we have 7 CDJR dealerships within the county, I have tried 3 of them and they were all like this. I think it's because they sold so many RAMs, Chargers and Jeeps these last several years the dealerships weren't prepared to handle the amount of cars out there. So they turn simple things into complicated issues due to their lack of bandwidth, to the point returning phone calls is a big ask for their service folks.

Historically, you will find that CDJR dealership ratings at the bottom, right next to Land Rover. That being said, I haven't had to deal too much with them since my 2019 hasn't had any issues in the 4 years I've owned her. But I cringe at the day I will need to bring my truck in since I have an extended warranty.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have tried 4 since back in 2017 and its a 50/50 split.
The 2 closest to my home are the worst - the best is closest to my work and the one I was trying to avoid because I prejudged it. And the other great one is kind of far for me these days.
All CDJR

Reverse

Reaction score
I have tried all of the dealerships around me over the years (5 or 6). The service departments all suck. I picked the best of the worst and took our vehicles there. At one point we owned three Mopars, so I used them a lot. Things were OK for a few years. We spent a boatload of money on service.

Recently, however, the fleecing of customers has been taken to new heights. I finally took my business to an independent shop after the Ram service department charged me $119.99 for 'shop supplies'.... (they also put the wrong oil in the differentials and transfer case at one point)

Now I only take it in for warranty work and oil changes.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought two Rams from the same dealer a 2014 and a 2019, sales was good with both trucks. Service was great until about 3 years ago it starting going down hill. You can't schedule appointments, they say to drop the truck off and they will get to it in a few days, also can't get loaners anymore they are always checked out. Seems they lost some of thier good staff and have only been able to get what they can off the street. Truck came back from an oil change with glove box wide open and dip stick half way out of the dip stick tube, scratch on front bumper after another visit. That was it will never go back. I tried another local dealer and so far much better service and quaity of work much better.

Quint

Reaction score
I'm on my second RAM. I bought it from a dealership 10 miles away because they have a big inventory, but I get it serviced at the one 2 miles away. Great service every time, better than when I used to go where I bought them from.

We bought my wife an Audi A5 last year. I have to admit to being impressed with their service, but you pay for it in the pricing. Luckily we haven't had to pay for anything but I've seen the menu!

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I have tried all of the dealerships around me over the years (5 or 6). The service departments all suck. I picked the best of the worst and took our vehicles there. At one point we owned three Mopars, so I used them a lot. Things were OK for a few years. We spent a boatload of money on service.

Recently, however, the fleecing of customers has been taken to new heights. I finally took my business to an independent shop after the Ram service department charged me $119.99 for 'shop supplies'.... (they also put the wrong oil in the differentials and transfer case at one point)

Now I only take it in for warranty work and oil changes.
I see you are in the atlanta area. Which all ones in this area have you tried? Anyone any better than the others? And which independent shop do you use now? I would love a recommendation if it’s close to me.

mtnbikej

Reaction score
I have 3 dealers that are within 15 mins.

My experiences:
Dealer I bought my first Ram from....2nd closest:
I have since had my truck in 2x for service. Dropped off on a Tuesday, saying I would not be able to pick up til Monday due to being out of town. Never heard another word from the service department. Called the following Tuesday for a status update, said they would check on it, never called back. Took 2 more calls to get an answer over 2 days that is was done. Unacceptable.

Took it in recently for an oil change. Service department/service writers are completely unorganized. I waited 15 mins in the office before I was acknowledged. Service writer didn't seem to know anything about my truck. Kept referring to it as a Cummins diesel even though it was an ECO Diesel....2 completely different service requirements. Requested Fuel Filter replacement as well as Tire Rotation. They also washed my truck, when i got in it...smelled like cigarette smoke....I don't smoke.

While waiting in the service office to get my truck written up, another customer was complaining about an oil change taking 3.5 hrs while they waited in the lounge....they were told they tried to call them and they couldn't get ahold of them. After the customer left, overheard the service manager saying that someone else in the service dept. dropped the ball and never called. DO NOT BLAME THE CUSTOMER FOR YOUR SHORTFALL.

Dealer that is closest....never bought from them. Strange vibe in the sales department.
No service department initiated contact. They never call or text. If you call them, they do not answer. They are a smaller dealer and a newer dealer....for a while they only had one tech with knowledge of the EcoD. Service is slow. Fortunately most of the service there has been warranty work. They threatened me for not returning the loaner car in a timely manner. I call you at 10am for status update, you tell me it's done. Great, I'm at work, I'll stop in after work about 2:00. They call at 12:00 threatening me that the loaner was due back this morning. Parts department rarely has the basic consumables(filters)

Dealer that is 3rd closest.....tried them to see if they were better than the other 2.
Went in for an oil change. No appointment. Pulled into the "express oil change" lane at 1:00. "we don't take in express oil changes after 12:00"??? WTF? you are open til 6:00. Said they could fit me in, but they wouldn't start for about an hour. My truck sat there for 2 hours. When I inquired, was told they were working on it....."uh, no....it hasn't moved since I gave you the keys". They fumbled around for another hour before I asked for the keys back. "sorry, your service ticket must have fallen behind someone's desk". I haven't been back.

I know do all my own servicing on my '15 and '22.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have 3 dealers that are within 15 mins.

My experiences:
Dealer I bought my first Ram from....2nd closest:
I have since had my truck in 2x for service. Dropped off on a Tuesday, saying I would not be able to pick up til Monday due to being out of town. Never heard another word from the service department. Called the following Tuesday for a status update, said they would check on it, never called back. Took 2 more calls to get an answer over 2 days that is was done. Unacceptable.

Took it in recently for an oil change. Service department/service writers are completely unorganized. I waited 15 mins in the office before I was acknowledged. Service writer didn't seem to know anything about my truck. Kept referring to it as a Cummins diesel even though it was an ECO Diesel....2 completely different service requirements. Requested Fuel Filter replacement as well as Tire Rotation. They also washed my truck, when i got in it...smelled like cigarette smoke....I don't smoke.

While waiting in the service office to get my truck written up, another customer was complaining about an oil change taking 3.5 hrs while they waited in the lounge....they were told they tried to call them and they couldn't get ahold of them. After the customer left, overheard the service manager saying that someone else in the service dept. dropped the ball and never called. DO NOT BLAME THE CUSTOMER FOR YOUR SHORTFALL.

Dealer that is closest....never bought from them. Strange vibe in the sales department.
No service department initiated contact. They never call or text. If you call them, they do not answer. They are a smaller dealer and a newer dealer....for a while they only had one tech with knowledge of the EcoD. Service is slow. Fortunately most of the service there has been warranty work. They threatened me for not returning the loaner car in a timely manner. I call you at 10am for status update, you tell me it's done. Great, I'm at work, I'll stop in after work about 2:00. They call at 12:00 threatening me that the loaner was due back this morning. Parts department rarely has the basic consumables(filters)

Dealer that is 3rd closest.....tried them to see if they were better than the other 2.
Went in for an oil change. No appointment. Pulled into the "express oil change" lane at 1:00. "we don't take in express oil changes after 12:00"??? WTF? you are open til 6:00. Said they could fit me in, but they wouldn't start for about an hour. My truck sat there for 2 hours. When I inquired, was told they were working on it....."uh, no....it hasn't moved since I gave you the keys". They fumbled around for another hour before I asked for the keys back. "sorry, your service ticket must have fallen behind someone's desk". I haven't been back.

I know do all my own servicing on my '15 and '22.

Yup, sounds about right, I think this is all based on not enough dealer service capacity with too many cars to service. I do my own services now because the thought of paying people who are likely very apathetic about my vehicle scares me.

Factor this service quality level and no more Hemi V8 from 2025 on and I find myself wondering if I will buy another RAM truck.

You think they are low in customer service now, can you imagine when a bunch of their next gen vehicles are powered by a new relatively untested I6 Twin Turbo?

mynameisante

Reaction score
One of my good friends is the manager of a CDJR here in San Diego. Purchased six trucks from him. I've had nothing but amazing service from sales to service. Although we could calculate this as being friends with the manager...

There is a another dealer here closer to my house where I purchased a RAM at once, and it was amazing top to bottom as well.

All in all, 10/10 for both dealers I've used

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The two that I bought my 2008 Bighorn and my 2021 Laramie, I rate them as poor.
The third I used for a Warranty recall seemed fine.

I have the DEF and HPFP recalls to do and I will go to the third Dealer for them when the Parts are Available.

Malodave

SD Rebel

Reaction score
One of my good friends is the manager of a CDJR here in San Diego. Purchased six trucks from him. I've had nothing but amazing service from sales to service. Although we could calculate this as being friends with the manager...

There is a another dealer here closer to my house where I purchased a RAM at once, and it was amazing top to bottom as well.

All in all, 10/10 for both dealers I've used

Which two dealerships are these, they could be the 4 out of the 7 I haven't tried yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online