5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's with the oil catch cans?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The technology in the Speedwow and Mishimoto CC's is comparable. One thing that hasn't been brought up is the R&D that Mishimoto put into the mounting bracket assembly. To me it was worth buying it for that alone. Sure, I could have come up with a way to mount the cheaper one. I've done that in the past. But the combination of being able to install a valve into the threaded bung for emptying, and having a well thought out mounting system made spending $170 on the Mishimoto well worth that cost. And before anyone mentions it I already had the valve from an older catch can I had on my last GMC truck, so I didn't spend anything on that. I will say Mishimoto should include a valve with their catch can since it's threaded for one.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
The technology in the Speedwow and Mishimoto CC's is comparable. One thing that hasn't been brought up is the R&D that Mishimoto put into the mounting bracket assembly. To me it was worth buying it for that alone. Sure, I could have come up with a way to mount the cheaper one. I've done that in the past. But the combination of being able to install a valve into the threaded bung for emptying, and having a well thought out mounting system made spending $170 on the Mishimoto well worth that cost. And before anyone mentions it I already had the valve from an older catch can I had on my last GMC truck, so I didn't spend anything on that. I will say Mishimoto should include a valve with their catch can since it's threaded for one.

I will second this. The Mishimoto bracket fit and finish was pretty impressive. I think the way it fits and how easily it mounts does warrant a little more on the price tag.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
But...but this one doesn't say Mishimoto on it.

For $25 someone could always give it a shot and provide feedback, right?

My concern with a cheaper product is will it seal? If there's a vacuum leak in the oil recirculation line I'd hate to be chasing down CEL codes because of an oil catch can.

Also, if there's any oil in the output line: It's not working as it should.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The non-catch can people must think Mishimoto people are complete buffoons. I mean what idiot runs a can, and spends over $150?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I think the mounting bracket and location of the Mishimoto can looks like crap. Causes excess length in the lines to and from catch can which adds extra clutter under the hood. Even if it only cost $60 I wouldn't buy the Mishimoto can.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I think the mounting bracket and location of the Mishimoto can looks like crap. Causes excess length in the lines to and from catch can which adds extra clutter under the hood. Even if it only cost $60 I wouldn't buy the Mishimoto can.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. It's my opinion that it's located in a convenient spot for emptying, especially with the valve attached to the bottom. Luckily no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy a specific catch can. It's almost as though you're arguing this so strongly because you're sorry you didn't buy a Mishimoto CC. See what I did there? ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. It's my opinion that it's located in a convenient spot for emptying, especially with the valve attached to the bottom. Luckily no one is forcing you or anyone else to buy a specific catch can. It's almost as though you're arguing this so strongly because you're sorry you didn't buy a Mishimoto CC. See what I did there? ;)
No, all I see is you stretching to turn it around on me. At no point in time did I ever consider buying a Mishimoto catch can after seeing where they are mounted and how the lines were run.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
5.7 with 140K. Engine having trouble running due to gunked up intake.
IMG_6052.png
5.7 with 75K. No known running issues, but getting pretty dirty.
IMG_6053.png
Would a properly working catch can help this? I believe it would. I installed my catch can at 1K. I’ll check the intake every 30K or so just to see what it looks like. My hope is it stays a lot cleaner than this. With port injection and today’s quality fuels, I don’t think carbon deposits on the valves is a concern. The intake was my primary reason for installing a catch can.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
No, all I see is you stretching to turn it around on me. At no point in time did I ever consider buying a Mishimoto catch can after seeing where they are mounted and how the lines were run.

Just out of curiosity, where would you like to see it mounted? I can't really think of a better option. The ones sitting virtually in the top of the intake manifold look like a real treat to empty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, where would you like to see it mounted? I can't really think of a better option. The ones sitting virtually in the top of the intake manifold look like a real treat to empty.
Mine is easy to empty. PXL_20200912_173202319.jpg

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5.7 with 140K. Engine having trouble running due to gunked up intake.
View attachment 167207
5.7 with 75K. No known running issues, but getting pretty dirty.
View attachment 167208

Neither one of these is an intake manifold, and they don't look significantly different in terms of gunk. Nothing in these photos seems to support your diagnosis of one of the engines "having trouble running due to gunked up intake". If that diagnosis is correct, you should be able to just replace the intake manifold and it will run good again, right?

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Neither one of these is an intake manifold, and they don't look significantly different in terms of gunk. Nothing in these photos seems to support your diagnosis of one of the engines "having trouble running due to gunked up intake". If that diagnosis is correct, you should be able to just replace the intake manifold and it will run good again, right?
Where did I say this was the intake manifold? This is the air intake/throttle body. The butterfly in the top pic was so gunked up, the car would not idle. Sure, you can remove it and clean it, but it’s just as easy to run a catch can and not worry about it.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did I say this was the intake manifold? This is the air intake/throttle body. The butterfly in the top pic was so gunked up, the car would not idle. Sure, you can remove it and clean it, but it’s just as easy to run a catch can and not worry about it.

Quoting you: "Engine having trouble running due to gunked up intake."
But your supporting photos don't show intake. So now your story changes.
Now it's the butterfly. And now it's "would not idle". And it was a car, not a Ram truck. Oooookaaay....

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeap cost of R&D are overlooked by consumers and the time spent on innovating is not rewarded for the manufacturers because the amazon specials work "just as good."

exactly what i was saying.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Quoting you: "Engine having trouble running due to gunked up intake."
But your supporting photos don't show intake. So now your story changes.
Now it's the butterfly. And now it's "would not idle". And it was a car, not a Ram truck. Oooookaaay....
I don’t get into pissing matches with people on a forum. I believe my pics are pretty self explanatory. The throttle body is part of the air intake. The engine would die, it would not idle. To me, that’s having trouble running. I also never said it was on a truck. It was a 5.7 hemi. Not sure where my story changed. I get it, you’re not a catch can believer.

Have a great rest of your evening.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is that the "billet" folks? Looks like a decent can, but I'm not a fan of the single bolt mount, think it's likely to shake loose. Or are they counting on the outlet hose to hold the top position? :unsure: I think a different bracket might be in order.

And I wonder about the effectiveness of engine mount vs. radiator area (a la Mishimoto). Might the radiator area be cooler and therefore better at condensing vapors? :unsure: And the longer hoses associated with remote mount, although not pleasing, may also assist in cooling/condensing.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is that the "billet" folks? Looks like a decent can, but I'm not a fan of the single bolt mount, think it's likely to shake loose. Or are they counting on the outlet hose to hold the top position? :unsure: I think a different bracket might be in order.

And I wonder about the effectiveness of engine mount vs. radiator area (a la Mishimoto). Might the radiator area be cooler and therefore better at condensing vapors? :unsure: And the longer hoses associated with remote mount, although not pleasing, may also assist in cooling/condensing.
Oil isn't condensed, it's mist that is trapped.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil isn't condensed, it's mist that is trapped.
Good point, but I'm not sure the things are mutually exclusive. Longer hoses would give droplets more time and surfaces to settle on. Thinking of what the tradeoffs are.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good point, but I'm not sure the things are mutually exclusive. Longer hoses would give droplets more time and surfaces to settle on. Thinking of what the tradeoffs are.
You dont want the vapor droplets dropping out in the hoses.

Users who are viewing this thread