5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats up with the doors?

Sure, my point is they don't have time to wet sand and buff paint on production cars.

That's SVO for Jaguar regarding their custom paint on special order vehicles. This doesn't apply to regular Jags you get at the dealership lot. This is for their "bespoke" operations and it's not cheap.

I've said that above, this process is on high end cars or low run production lines, as to regular cars, My XF's paint is very slick, on a scale of 1-10 (1 is bad orange peel and 10 being slick) my XF is about an 7.5-8 where as my Ram is probably a 5.
Paint and Paint Correction is a hobby of mine and bad paint/body work is a peeve of mine and stands out like mismatched paint.

None of this changes my original point though, Orange Peel is part of the process and not created intentionally or to hide anything. Its a by product of painting, steps can be taken to mitigate it but it costs time and money 2 things an assembly line doesn't have or want to spend more of.
I really don't get the complaints about these trucks finish especially the blah blah blah on a $65-75K truck. you're not buying a Merc/BMW/Rover. If it's that big a deal, pay for the paint to be slicked, I'll do it for $5K

Last edited:
Went and looked at my doors again today, straight as an arrow

Yeah, likely not looking for what the OP is talking about. There is no straight as an arrow body panels on any RAM. I was at the dealership yesterday getting my floor mats, I looked at a dozen 2021 models, all of them had plenty of minute creases in the paint. Exactly the same as every single RAM I've looked at (or any other large truck/suv). It's not like an obvious dent, it's a crease caused by stamping, like for example the door handle that you can see a crease in front and behind that extends down the door.

I've said that above, this process is on high end cars or low run production lines, as to regular cars, My XF's paint is very slick, on a scale of 1-10 (1 is bad orange peel and 10 being slick) my XF is about an 7.5-8 where as my Ram is probably a 5.
Paint and Paint Correction is a hobby of mine and bad paint/body work is a peeve of mine and stands out like mismatched paint

Sure, absolutely agree with you on that. I was just pointing out that production German cars don't get special hand painting, cutting and buffing. Their improved quality is either in the paint materials, their robots or process.

Sure, again, just pointing out that production German cars don't get special hand painting, cutting and buffing. Their improved quality is either in the paint materials, their robots or process.

Basic buffing can knock down a significant amount of orange peel, my compounds range between 1000 grit and 9000 grit

Basic buffing can knock down a significant amount of orange peel, my compounds range between 1000 grit and 9000 grit

Absolutely, my brand new (at the time) 2000 F150 had a large door drip that was easily buffed out. Luckily I didn't listen to the service guy who wanted to repaint the door, their detail guy got it fixed in 5 minutes.

Yeah, likely not looking for what the OP is talking about. There is no straight as an arrow body panels on any RAM. I was at the dealership yesterday getting my floor mats, I looked at a dozen 2021 models, all of them had plenty of minute creases in the paint. Exactly the same as every single RAM I've looked at (or any other large truck/suv). It's not like an obvious dent, it's a crease caused by stamping, like for example the door handle that you can see a crease in front and behind that extends down the door.

What am I missing, no crease, looks the same dry. The OP's pic looked like a butt or hip door close crease just under the door handle at the rear of the door

20201231_174911.jpg

20201231_174902.jpg

20201231_174933.jpg

20201231_174941.jpg

What am I missing, no crease, looks the same dry. The OP's pic looked like a butt or hip door close crease just under the door handle at the rear of the door

View attachment 78237

View attachment 78236

View attachment 78239

View attachment 78240

They would be impossible to see in those conditions. Try in the day, not in direct sunlight, look about 7-10 feet away from the door at a 30 to 90 degree angle. You should easily see the slight creases where the door was stamped and formed. They are all over the truck.

Look at any large vehicle in this light and angle and you should easily see them. Usually it's a straight line down from where something is formed or punched, like the fuel filler door, door handles openings, fender lines, etc.

I think you are expecting an actual obvious dent. What most of us are talking about are very faint mild form creases that under bright light or looking at straight on are impossible to see and hard to see in a picture. They are very subtle and most people will never notice them, but they are there unless you had a custom worked door where they worked those out.

The reason why you can see it on the OPs video is he is moving it slowly. You can see the slight variations that way. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, his could be worse than some others. But they exist on all vehicles in some form. I have them exactly like the OP and seen them in pretty much all other RAMs.

Last edited:
They would be impossible to see in those conditions. Try in the day, not in direct sunlight, look about 7-10 feet away from the door at a 90 angle. You should easily see the slight creases where the door was stamped and formed. They are all over the truck.

Look at any large vehicle in this light and angle and you should easily see them. Usually it's a straight line down from where something is formed or punched, like the fuel filler door, door handles openings, fender lines, etc.

I think you are expecting an actual obvious dent. What most of us are talking about are very faint mild form creases that under bright light or looking at straight on are impossible to see. They are very subtle and most people will never notice them, but they are there unless you had a custom worked door where they worked those out.

I looked at it in the day, using light reflection is the best way to find dents or creases. I went over this truck thoroughly before I signed any papers, there's two problem spots on it. One on the hood, a pin sized dent and a piece of trash under the paint at the bottom of the tailgate.
I also saw the spot pretty obvious on the OP's video, i don't have that

Capture.JPG

I've been doing this for a long time, not much in the way of paint work and body panels get by me

I looked at it in the day, using light reflection is the best way to find dents or creases. I went over this truck thoroughly before I signed any papers, there's two problem spots on it. One on the hood, a pin sized dent and a piece of trash under the paint at the bottom of the tailgate.
I also saw the spot pretty obvious on the OP's video, i don't have that

View attachment 78241

I've been doing this for a long time, not much in the way of paint work and body panels get by me

Don't take a pic, go at look at the door and move slowly side to side, you should see them. Once you see it, you will have an "oh I see what you mean" moment. Do it in the day, look at the door that isn't in direct sunlight. Or any other body panel on your truck, there are tons of them on every body panel.

They would be impossible to see in those conditions. Try in the day, not in direct sunlight, look about 7-10 feet away from the door at a 30 to 90 degree angle. You should easily see the slight creases where the door was stamped and formed. They are all over the truck.

I think you are expecting an actual obvious dent. What most of us are talking about are very faint mild form creases that under bright light or looking at straight on are impossible to see and hard to see in a picture. They are very subtle and most people will never notice them, but they are there unless you had a custom worked door where they worked those out.

The reason why you can see it on the OPs video is he is moving it slowly. You can see the slight variations that way. However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, his could be worse than some others. But they exist on all vehicles in some form. I have them exactly like the OP and seen them in pretty much all other RAMs.

View attachment 78237

View attachment 78236

View attachment 78239

View attachment 78240

Alos, looking at pics 2, 3 and 4, looks at the straight line reflections of the in the doors (driveway and bricks) a crease would bend that reflection making it look wavy, that's an old painters trick

Don't take a pic, go at look at the door and move slowly side to side, you should see them. Once you see it, you will have an "oh I see what you mean" moment. Do it in the day, look at the door that isn't in direct sunlight. Or any other body panel on your truck, there are tons of them.

See post 70, a straight line negates needing to do that.
Looking at the OP's screen capture from the video, I can see items in the reflection are wavy, that's a clear sign and very much different from mine, light reflection doesn't lie

See post 70, a straight line negates needing to do that.
Looking at the OP's screen capture from the video, I can see items in the reflection are wavy, that's a clear sign and very much different from mine

That's a reflection form a blurry shot. Again, most photos can't show it properly.

Just indulge me and give what I say a try, day time, look at your door or whatever body panel you want, the side not in direct light, 7-10 feet away at 30 degree angle, you will see these small creases on every body panel. Especially helps if you move side to side a bit to help you catch them with your eye. Once you catch them, they are as clear as day.

Again I stress, these creases are subtle, not easy to see, most people will never notice them. But it's a natural result of the stamping process. Also, I recommend you move beyond the area the OP is looking at, his door may actually be worse than others as I mentioned earlier. But there are plenty of other creases to look at.

Last edited:
That's a reflection form a blurry shot. Again, most photos can't show it properly.

Just indulge me and give what I say a try, day time, look at your door or whatever body panel you want, the side not in direct light, 7-10 feet away at 30 degree angle, you will see these small creases on every body panel. Especially helps if you move side to side a bit to help you catch them with your eye. Once you catch them, they are as clear as day.

Again I stress, these creases are subtle, not easy to see, most people will never notice them. But it's a natural result of the stamping process. Also, I recommend you move beyond the area the OP is looking at, his door may actually be worse than others as I mentioned earlier. But there are plenty of other creases to look at.
Forgot I had day time pics

20200906_131931.jpg

Pretty obvious to me that there's no waves in my doors.
If it's not perceptible here, then I'm not concerned about it

View attachment 78251

It really isn't perceptible unless you are looking for them, good looking truck by the way!

The are very subtle in most cases, again I want to stress the OP may actually have an issue that isn't normal, at least not at the level most other trucks are at.

View attachment 78251

I feel the same way as you and although my Rebel is white and apparently the waves are not as noticeable, I really don’t want to look for imperfections intentionally, if I were to find some it would probably annoy me like the rest of the people.

I feel the same way as you and although my Rebel is white and apparently the waves are not as noticeable, I really don’t want to look for imperfections intentionally, if I were to find some it would probably annoy me like the rest of the people.

Yep, not enough of an issue for me, this despite me really being very picky and anal about paint and bodywork. White and yellow are very forgiving colors, they can hide a lot of imperfections both in paint and in the bodywork but is extremely easy to maint and looks good on these trucks. Black in contrast is the worst color at hiding imperfections as it doesn't hide them at all. I hated black cars when I painted, everything was visible and the body and paint had to be perfect

View attachment 78251

yup...my truck looks like this...there is NO "wave" in it period. Could you take a magnifying glass and find something wrong? yes. No such thing as perfect in ANY vehicle. I am extremely happy with the fit & finish on mine. I've looked at it in Daylight, nighttime, twilight, sunset, overcast, rainy, drizzle, snow, heat, cold, tepid, humid, dry,...running out of internet, sorry....bye

yup...my truck looks like this...there is NO "wave" in it period. Could you take a magnifying glass and find something wrong? yes. No such thing as perfect in ANY vehicle. I am extremely happy with the fit & finish on mine. I've looked at it in Daylight, nighttime, twilight, sunset, overcast, rainy, drizzle, snow, heat, cold, tepid, humid, dry,...running out of internet, sorry....bye
Lol, thanks for the laughs!!! @OldMarine
And you’re absolutely right, whoever’s looking to find something wrong they certainly will.

I think we are talking about two different things. As I mentioned earlier, the OP may actually have an issue with his door, however, there are indeed stamping creases on every body panel, including our RAMs. The doors are straight, however there are very small vertical creases where stamping is done to shape the body panel, they are easy to see such as the edges of the door handle openings, gas fill door stamping, edge of window cutouts, etc. These are natural and are not defects.

I think we are talking about two different things. As I mentioned earlier, the OP may actually have an issue with his door, however, there are indeed stamping creases on every body panel, including our RAMs. The doors are straight, however there are very small vertical creases where stamping is done to shape the body panel, they are easy to see such as the edges of the door handle openings, gas fill door stamping, edge of window cutouts, etc. These are natural and are not defects.
^^^ This ^^^
I’ve said the same thing. My truck has this, but not as bad as OP, and since most other RAMs I’ve seen has it to some degree, I’ve just moved on and do not let it bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back