5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats up with the doors?

Again I get it, but for someone to basically tell him his qualm is invalid because it’s a truck is silly.

Again I get it, but for someone to basically tell him his qualm is invalid because it’s a truck is silly.

I agree, I only tried to explain that the RAM is similar to whatever else is out there in class. Could it be improved? Sure, but that's how they are. However, It's valid for the OP or anyone else to be upset if it bothers you.

It's quite possible that the stamping process isn't uniform, that maybe batches of trucks have varying degrees of waviness depending on who was working that day. Some of us may actually have straighter trucks, who knows?

Clearly you don't.

I didn't basically tell him his qualm was invalid. I pointed out that it isn't a show truck when he mentioned he is used to custom show tucks.

Peace be with you.

Clearly you don't.

I didn't basically tell him his qualm was invalid. I pointed out that it isn't a show truck when he mentioned he is used to custom show tucks.
You said it’s not a show truck, treat it like a truck.
To me, that ****ty comment basically demeaned his post and basically you told him to treat it like a farm truck.
Those comments get to me because people act like everyone buys a truck to do yee yee **** with it and trash it.
Some people just like nice things.
I am anal as well. Wavy panels bother me. I have never had a vehicle with wavy panels until buying a truck.
It pissed me off everyday of ownership of that truck .
Now that I have a white truck, that hides a lot of things. Possibly the waves in this truck, but I am trying not to go out of my way to look for them. Once I see it, I cannot I see it.

Looks like crap to me. Show car or not.

Attachments

• 20201229_203238.jpg
    20201229_203238.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201229_204217.jpg
    20201229_204217.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 81
To me, that ****ty comment basically demeaned his post and basically you told him to treat it like a farm truck.
Those comments get to me because people act like everyone buys a truck to do yee yee **** with it and trash it.

Well, thats like...your opinion, man.

Bummer. Wonder what happened between the time you bought it and when you noticed it to make it wavy.
Nothing happened. I cleaned it and ended up parking where the reflections hit it right. Like I said, all of them looked like that on the lot once I noticed it and decided to see if it was just my truck.

Like I said, I dont expect mass produced vehicles to be perfect, but come on man, if i wanted a used, dented-looking vehicle I would have bought one. My 2015 had excellent panels and it still looked good 100k miles later. These newer ones arent as straight. Love the truck, just wish they would do a better job on the stamping.

Jeeps are pretty bad too.

I have not seen this on my RAM yet, but my F150 was like this. Super wavy!
I guess its just harder to stamp the sheetmetal or aluminum on that big of a panel? Maybe this is just common with trucks
This...my Raptor doors were the worse doors I’ve seen roll off the factory floor. My Ram, by comparison, looks fantastic.

I haven't noticed on my truck one way or the other but I have noticed over time that as panels have gotten thinner they definitely look more wavy. I miss when you could sit on the hood of your vehicle and not dent it. Hell, I remember when I was younger we could stand on the roof and not dent it.

Z
I’m not sure what you are looking at, all I see is a bunch of different colours, it does look Christmassy!
Could you take another picture without having all the colours reflected from other objects?
Can see it better here:

I should blame myself for biting on this one, but I ran the Laramie through the car wash this morning and gave both sides a close inspection. Even had the car wash guy come out and ask me if there was anything wrong. Granted, I may be close to completing the aging process, but I couldn't see any sheet metal distortions at all. Anywhere. Maybe the longer doors on the Crew Cabs make the difference?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044783 miles.

Z

Can see it better here:
Okay. I had to view this several times. I'm not sure that's a sheetmetal defect. It looks more like an inconsistent thickness in the paint. A (good) body shop can confirm this.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044783 miles.

I should blame myself for biting on this one, but I ran the Laramie through the car wash this morning and gave both sides a close inspection. Even had the car wash guy come out and ask me if there was anything wrong. Granted, I may be close to completing the aging process, but I couldn't see any sheet metal distortions at all. Anywhere. Maybe the longer doors on the Crew Cabs make the difference?

Regards,
Dusty

The front doors are the same, it's probably the door with the most distortion. Trust me, they are there, we are all notice it differently. It's easiest to see in lower light at slow moving angles. You need to move slowly while looking and it becomes very obvious. They exist on many vehicles.

The orange peel is done on purpose also to try and hide the imperfections in the body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No its not, orange peel doesn't hide imperfections. Orange peel is a byproduct of the paint process, specifically how fast or slow the paint flattens out and off gasses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back