5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats up with the doors?

Cgo

Reaction score
Hey, am I the only one a little disappointed in the waviness of the door panels or who noticed? I thought mine had a dent due to the bent reflections when looking down the side until I went back to the dealership and all the rams looked the same. Kind of annoying for a perfectionist who is a car and truck enthusiast used to custom show cars that have to be laser straight. I realize, it's a mass produced truck, but my 2015 was pretty darn straight in comparison.

What's weird is that all the other trucks I looked at had similar issues on the driver side only. My family and took a trip to the inlaws for xmas and I stopped by another dealership after hours. Again, all the 21s had similar issues; some worse than others. Maybe their driver side door stamping die has an issue or the door assembly guy is new...

To see it, you have to get a reflection of a straight line down the side. Easiest to see at night with ambient light reflecting.

It's not as bad as the RAM boxes or the aluminum F150s, but come on man, this thing was $75k!

I'm taking it to my PDR guy in a week or so. He will get it laser straight.

I haven’t noticed that at all and I do most of my driving at night . Now I’ll have to try and see if mines like that .

I haven’t noticed that at all and I do most of my driving at night . Now I’ll have to try and see if mines like that .
Most people wont notice or even look for it. Best angle is off the front quarter with reflections along the driver door. Theres usually a "dent" under the door handle and midway center of the door where the light bends.

Hey, am I the only one a little disappointed in the waviness of the door panels or who noticed? I thought mine had a dent due to the bent reflections when looking down the side until I went back to the dealership and all the rams looked the same. Kind of annoying for a perfectionist who is a car and truck enthusiast used to custom show cars that have to be laser straight. I realize, it's a mass produced truck, but my 2015 was pretty darn straight in comparison.

What's weird is that all the other trucks I looked at had similar issues on the driver side only. My family and took a trip to the inlaws for xmas and I stopped by another dealership after hours. Again, all the 21s had similar issues; some worse than others. Maybe their driver side door stamping die has an issue or the door assembly guy is new...

To see it, you have to get a reflection of a straight line down the side. Easiest to see at night with ambient light reflecting.

It's not as bad as the RAM boxes or the aluminum F150s, but come on man, this thing was $75k!

I’ve noticed this when I first saw my truck as well.

Also, the paint finish has more orange peel than other vehicles I’ve had, but all the others I‘ve seen are the same, so just accepted that it’s just the way it is and moved on

Cheers,

The waviness is how the metal is stamped, all large bodied trucks and SUVs have them, I don't feel like my RAM is any wavier than any other truck on the road. I mean we are talking about a truck with a starting base price of $28,000, you don't get smoother body panels & paint as the price goes up. Though PDR is a good route if you want to get out form lines and creases in the metal.

But to be honest, if it's a natural part of the manufacturing process, I would just let it go. Look at a new Tahoe, which is close to touching 90K or a fully loaded TRX near 100K you will see similar waviness in the metal at those acute viewing angles.

The waviness is how the metal is stamped, all large bodied trucks and SUVs have them, I don't feel like my RAM is any wavier than any other truck on the road.
Agree to disagree.
All my previous german SUVs had perfect panels, as well as my wife’s large Lexus SUV (and paint was flawless from the factory).

Agree to disagree.
All my previous german SUVs had perfect panels, as well as my wife’s large Lexus SUV (and paint was flawless from the factory).

I explained it further on my edit regarding that. This truck has a base price of $28,000. You can load it up with options, but it's more humble origins are there. They aren't going to stamp out straighter body panels on higher optioned models. What was the base price of your Lexus and German SUV? My guess is they are more premium to begin with?

As you said, it's already better than the most popular truck out there, which easily is more expensive. The Silverado isn't any better.

I explained it further on my edit regarding that. This truck has a base price of $28,000. You can load it up with options, but it's more humble origins are there.

Yep, pretty accurate and good points. Just because a Limited can touch almost $70k, the body and paint is not different then your base truck. Just more options and bells and whistles.

I have not seen this on my RAM yet, but my F150 was like this. Super wavy!
I guess its just harder to stamp the sheetmetal or aluminum on that big of a panel? Maybe this is just common with trucks

The orange peel is done on purpose also to try and hide the imperfections in the body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea if you don't like the Ram sheet metal go like at the Ford's. They are terrible, and probably the main reason I won't buy one.
Also, look at the last gen Silverados. Everyone I've ever looked at had heavy wave across the top of the rear wheel arches.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044780 miles.

These arent show trucks. Treat it like a truck.
Well, I mean when you spend upwards of $70k on a truck, you don’t expect any imperfections.
If people wanted junk, they would have spent $2-3k and got an old farm truck.
I bought mine for luxury while being utility.
If I didn’t have to tow, I would have a A German luxury car.

Well, I mean when you spend upwards of $70k on a truck, you don’t expect any imperfections.

Sure, but you are saying you haven't seen any yet on your truck and the OP is bothered with what he is seeing, I am pretty sure both your trucks have the same amount of waviness in the metal panels. So it's clearly subjective on what we think is an issue and what isn't, we all have different standards to what is acceptable.

No one is saying they are junk or to overlook defects, but waves in the panel are a natural part of the manufacturing process. And as mentioned, regardless of how loaded your truck is, the panels & paint are still going to be based on a $28,000 truck.

Idk, it wouldnt bother me if both doors matched and the driver door didnt look like someone bounced their a$$ off the door. To me, it literally looks like a couple dents. I thought the dealership dented it until I looked at like 20 other new RAMs on two different lists in two different states. Some are worse than others though.

It is what it is, but I'm having my PDR guy do his magic because my eyes go to it every time and its embarrassing to have new truck that people think you dented already.

Virtually imperceptible to reasonable eye waves in a door panel <> junk. The guy said he's a perfectionist used to custom show cars. These aren't that is all Im saying. The machine that stamps and the hands that install the $30k tradesman doors are the same that stamp and install the limited doors.

Virtually imperceptible to reasonable eye waves in a door panel <> junk. The guy said he's a perfectionist used to custom show cars. These aren't that is all Im saying. The machine that stamps and the hands that install the $30k tradesman doors are the same that stamp and install the limited doors.
I get it. I am well aware of this. But for someone to say it’s a truck and not a nice car is silly considering these cost more than most cars by a large margin.

I am one that expects to get their money’s worth. I do not think it is unreal to expect non wavy body panels

I get it. I am well aware of this. But for someone to say it’s a truck and not a nice car is silly considering these cost more than most cars by a large margin.

I am one that expects to get their money’s worth. I do not think it is unreal to expect non wavy body panels
I simply said it isn't a show truck. Nothing silly about that. The guy said he's a perfectionist used to show cars. Maybe its wavy, maybe its just a regular ole' non show truck variety panel.

Like he mentioned, he said the F150 was worse with wavy panels, yet it's the best selling truck and even more expensive than the RAM. The F350 is approaching $100K.
The Silverado isn't any better. I probably wouldn't expect RAM to have better body panels in this class regardless of price.

I currently own 2 BMW sedans and just bought a brand new Toyota. Their body panels and paint isn't noticeably better than my RAM. But again, that's subjective. It's honestly it's not fair to try and change your mind here, it's bothering you that's that. Hopefully PDR can help in these cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back