5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

MTaylor

Reaction score
It's not RAM specific but I would have liked to see someone (other than KIA) go to a longer factory B to B warranty. The 3/36 goes so quickly, in my case the 3 years is up before the miles. Then you get to have paid $1500-2,000 for an extension that just adds a couple years (since they start from the day it was placed into service). To me, if I pay for a 5 yr 75K factory extended warranty that should be 5 years and 75K past where I bought it, not just adding 2 years and 29K miles... That's my grrr.
I'm aware that these warranties are a high-profit item but honestly, with all the tech in these trucks, its scary to not have something.

Hyundai has some decent quality and they have one of the best factory warranties around. Just saying....would be nice if FCA replicated.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate the "auto park" thing, when you're trying to back up with the door open.
I get it. It's a "safety" feature. But there should be an "interlock" button that you can press, before you shift into reverse, in order to defeat that system, if you're going to have the door open. Some people use things on farms and stuff, and actually LOOKING where you're backing is a requirement.

When I'm on the farm I clip in a short seatbelt extender, defeats the auto-park with door-open issue + I can wear my seatbelt when needed

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They will replace the console lid if you complain... the new lid appears to be a little heavier and better constructed and doesn't squeak at all
My truck is actually at the dealer now for this. The lid on mine doesn't squeak it's one of the panels on the console area. Supposedly they ordered a new part and hopefully its fixes the noise! We shall see.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is a bit off-topic, kinda sorta but I did not want to start a new thread.

I was poking on the F150 forum and saw a thread about a guy trading out from an 18 F150 Platinum to the 19 Limited Ram. This was on 6-21-2018 I believe.

Anyway, other than the "circle the wagon" RAM bashing that immediately sprung up, I found this post. If you read the whole thing you'll see he stayed with Ford due to the engines, yet he isn't all in love with them either:

Trading in my 2018 Platinum for 2019 Ram Limited
Though I like my truck the 2019 Ram Limited with 12 screen, interior is amazing, air suspension etc, cant pass it up thats like 5 fords in a row and now Im wondering how my ram experience will be.​

"I think what I've learned from this site and a couple of the other forums that there is no such thing as a problem free truck. I started looking at problems per 100 just by using CarComplaints and NHTSA data...and guess what truck had the highest rate of complaints per 100? Tundra. No joke. With all the problems I've had with my Ford, I was feeling like I made a huge mistake buying a Ford...the reality was I was making a huge mistake buying a new truck period. The RAM looks awesome...and I'll admit I have never even entertained the idea of getting one despite test driving a couple just to confirm my decision to buy a Ford. The interior alone makes the Ford's interior look like the interior of a PowerWheel. It just looks like what you would expect a $60,000 truck interior to look like. What's offered in Ford, Chevy/GMC, Toyota, and Nissan just doesn't compare. What ultimately sold me on the F-150 was the engine choices...EB/5.0, it seemed hard to go wrong... that and I'm a Ford guy. The problem is...what good is powertrain if it's so prone to issues that you don't want to drive it anymore or you have to baby it to keep it running well. Phasers, timing chains, turbos, catch-cans, exhaust leaks, bad throttle bodies, oblong cylinders, high pressure fuel pumps, electric water pumps, transmissions not being filled properly from the factory, failing brakes, doors that don't shut, cruise control that slams on the brakes for no reason, exploding rear glass, bad power steering, bad driveshafts, peeling paint, leaking sunroofs, crap rear suspension, auto start stop failures....seriously...I've heard it all on this site and at enough frequency to wonder how many people out there truly have a problem free 15-18 F-150. If all you have to worry about with the Hemi is the tick or the air suspension...I'll take the sluggishness/towing quality of the RAM in favor of more reliability. Good luck with the new RAM. "

WW2

Reaction score
I couldnt agree more... I am a lifetime Ford guy...The interior of the current F150s is crap... No comparison to the RAM...I realize there may be a higher possibility of issues with the RAM, but that doesnt mean anything... Its all luck of the draw..any brand can be good or bad... I love my Laramie Sport 4x4 and without etorque, there is NO auto start stop crap...I absolutely detest that idiotic CAFE goverment game.......no problems, no regrets...

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I think he means it unlocks when he is a couple feet away maybe. IF your hands/arms are full then that might be nice.
Actually, I've noticed that when I hand wash the truck with the fob in my pocket, as I go over the door handle with the sponge/brush it locks and unlocks repeatedly... I don't touch it with my hand, just the wash mitt/soft brush.
Pressure washer spray does it too with mine

Stickerhead

Reaction score
I hate the "auto park" thing, when you're trying to back up with the door open.
I get it. It's a "safety" feature. But there should be an "interlock" button that you can press, before you shift into reverse, in order to defeat that system, if you're going to have the door open. Some people use things on farms and stuff, and actually LOOKING where you're backing is a requirement.

My A/C is not stellar, but it's never left me sweating in 90+ degree summer (in Atlanta) heat. I've read the "heater hose valve" posts, but I'm not ready to commit to doing that, just yet.

Okay. I'm glad it's not just me. It ought to shift to 1st sooner - or stay in 2nd longer.

Buckle the seatbelt behind you then you can open the door. I do it and stand in the running board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geobound

Reaction score
Ha ha! Yeah... yeah... I was looking at my backup camera. And the pole was dead center behind me. I even clipped the trailer hitch just barely. My excuse is that it was night time. I was backing into a space in front of a convenience store. The lights shining out the front of the store had my backup camera really washed out. And the pole was painted white! It really blended into the background on my screen. Ooops!!!!

Ya that totally sucks!

I know what you mean about the bright lights though, and not being able to see the signs. I almost did the same thing as you tonight backing into a parking spot, but the only thing that saved me was that I remembered seeing it before I started to back in.

I had to turn off the automatic braking too, as it just about killed me backing up with my trailer hitch in place (no trailer attached). It didn't matter how fast or how slow I went, the brakes just jammed on and I couldn't move. I ended up just driving over the lawn and coming back in again.

I'm not really brand loyal either, but if I had to pick I would say Ram would be my first choice based on my last two trucks.

I live in Ontario and our government bailed out Chevy big time a few years ago with wheelbarrow's full of cash because they couldn't manage their finances, then just recently they announced they are closing down the plant that we so kindly kept afloat and are pulling out. Based on that and that alone, I will NEVER OWN A CHEVY EVER AGAIN!!

Anyway thanks for the reply that was a good read. (y)

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also looked hard at an F150 and have a great relationship with the local dealer. If the F150 had been even close in looks and interior quality I'd be driving one.

But it is not so I will have to start a new relationship with a Ram dealer. Anyone have any suggestions for around Columbia SC? Maybe a Charlotte NC?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I also looked hard at an F150 and have a great relationship with the local dealer. If the F150 had been even close in looks and interior quality I'd be driving one.

But it is not so I will have to start a new relationship with a Ram dealer. Anyone have any suggestions for around Columbia SC? Maybe a Charlotte NC?
I bought a bit farther north from Charlotte, in Kernersville. Do a search for their RAM dealer. I won't post a link cause' that's a commercial. Not saying that Charlotte wouldn't have decent deals, all depends on what you are wanting.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
squealing breaks under 10000 miles, but will solve that when I replace the pads... now if the aftermarket ever comes up with replacement pads...

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a bit farther north from Charlotte, in Kernersville. Do a search for their RAM dealer. I won't post a link cause' that's a commercial. Not saying that Charlotte wouldn't have decent deals, all depends on what you are wanting.

Guess you must not see my signature file where I already bought a new truck. :) I looked at Kernersville also but wound up getting one in Fredricksburg, VA.

Was really looking for good dealerships for future service. Charlotte area is nice because I can drop it off and have some fun while waiting.

MCTECH

Reaction score
By Far number one complaint. !! Voice command defaults to level 15 everytime the button is pushed! Nav notifications default to volume level 15 also but will stay at manually lowered setting until truck is turned off and back on. Please note that level 15 is yelling at me. I had a Laramie loaner while they troubleshot my problem and it at level 15 matched mine at level 2. Laramie was Alpine system while mine is Bighorn base system. It has basically made my voice command unusable. Uconnect head unit was replaced by the dealer with no change in operation. It is now deemed to be normal operational condition and can only be changed with an as yet to be announced software upgrade.

TulsaRam

Reaction score
Show me a perfect truck and I can find a flaw with it, kinda OCD. The only issue I have had with my truck is some minor fit and finish issues, all cosmetic. There is a paint run on the lower driver sill, the spray in bed liner has a bad spot in it, and stuff like that. That being said, still the best truck on the market right now, I love it!

kittyjo

Reaction score
Didn’t get the 3.92 gears and 33gallon tank

PorBoy

Reaction score
How many folks have the 33 gallon tanks and are disappointed ? I have the 3.92 gears but honestly can’t swear I notice a difference.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How many folks have the 33 gallon tanks and are disappointed ? I have the 3.92 gears but honestly can’t swear I notice a difference.
I can’t imagine anyone would regret the bigger tank. The 3.92s were noticeably quicker off the line in back-to-back test drives (a must for me when comparing against the feel of the GM 6.2L and F-150 3.5L TT).

Users who are viewing this thread