5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Until a couple of days ago I was torn between the two things that I thought were the "No. 1 thing that disappointed me most" about my five week old 2020 Big Horn.

1. The ride. Straight out of the gate I didn't like the 1500 suspension. Here in Alaska we have consistently poor road quality - generally on account of the harsh weather which causes asphalt to heave and buck season to season. Hitting a basic pothole caused way too much vibration up into the cabin. Also, making a hard turn while accelerating (such as exiting a parking lot onto the street) caused the truck to tip over onto the outside front wheel and then the truck rocked back and forth too much.

2. The climate control system. I've read the owner's manual a few times on operation of the climate control system and so far my opinion is very "meh". Fan is loud but doesn't push much air. As soon as you touch any button the system turns from Auto to Manual. Air conditioning is always on in Auto mode, yet I live in Alaska where I don't need air conditioning. I've honestly just started opening the rear sliding window and opening the passenger side window to get air flow through the cabin. I have no doubt that the climate control system will work well on a three hour road trip but the whole system needs to be more aggressive for daily short trips.

The good news is that I mostly fixed No. 1 above so the climate control system is my sole biggest disappointment.

I have 20" wheels and putting 40#s in all four tires (36#s recommended) did wonders for the ride/handling quality.
Maybe look into adding a Hellwig sway bar also to help with the rolling in the turns.

STR

Reaction score
Until a couple of days ago I was torn between the two things that I thought were the "No. 1 thing that disappointed me most" about my five week old 2020 Big Horn.

1. The ride. Straight out of the gate I didn't like the 1500 suspension. Here in Alaska we have consistently poor road quality - generally on account of the harsh weather which causes asphalt to heave and buck season to season. Hitting a basic pothole caused way too much vibration up into the cabin. Also, making a hard turn while accelerating (such as exiting a parking lot onto the street) caused the truck to tip over onto the outside front wheel and then the truck rocked back and forth too much.

2. The climate control system. I've read the owner's manual a few times on operation of the climate control system and so far my opinion is very "meh". Fan is loud but doesn't push much air. As soon as you touch any button the system turns from Auto to Manual. Air conditioning is always on in Auto mode, yet I live in Alaska where I don't need air conditioning. I've honestly just started opening the rear sliding window and opening the passenger side window to get air flow through the cabin. I have no doubt that the climate control system will work well on a three hour road trip but the whole system needs to be more aggressive for daily short trips.

The good news is that I mostly fixed No. 1 above so the climate control system is my sole biggest disappointment.

I have 20" wheels and putting 40#s in all four tires (36#s recommended) did wonders for the ride/handling quality.

Most newer vehicles’ climate control systems operate the same way with regards to the AC. Just because the AC light is illuminated in Auto Mode doesn’t mean that the condenser in on. As such, the air is still being circulated without it actually being cooled unless, of course, you want it to be by lowing the climate control temperature setting.

Also, with regards to your suspension... check your tire pressure. My tires were inflated to 65psi all around at delivery. I lowered them down to the recommended 55psi front and 45psi rear, and the ride improved. The rear is more planted, especially when cornering, with less bounce.

Edit: The aforementioned PSI recommendation is for the Rebel. I’m not 100% sure if this applies to all models. Verify the tag information, which is posted on the driver’s door jam.

Last edited:

Rbiceo

Reaction score
I’ve searched for answers here, The Internet in general & asked the dealer today...my biggest issue after owning it for a week is the inability to roll down windows with the fob. Every vehicle I had for the last 5+ years has had a summer mode...lock, unlock, unlock rolls windows down. Not this truck.

If anyone has an answer, I would appreciate it!

Nibis

Reaction score
I’ve searched for answers here, The Internet in general & asked the dealer today...my biggest issue after owning it for a week is the inability to roll down windows with the fob. Every vehicle I had for the last 5+ years has had a summer mode...lock, unlock, unlock rolls windows down. Not this truck.

If anyone has an answer, I would appreciate it!
The only way I know how you can get that to work is with the Tazer DT

myles

Reaction score
Can only send generic "pre-defined" text messages. Crazy to think that it has voice recognition but u cant speak/send a unique text msg.

When I press [Send New Text Msg with Voice Recognition] the chick says "Say a predefined message to send to..." :mad: :mad:

View attachment 56544
I suggest using apple carplay or android auto, Ive never been in a car where the stock radio voice features actually work how you want them to.
But my apple carplay works perfect, making calls, sending texts, changing songs, requesting songs, navigations all works perfect through apple carplay/siri, even when the windows are down on the freeway.

I dont use any of my 12" radio's entertainment features. The weather, sports and gas prices features are neat but i never use it. Literally everything i want is in carplay and its easier to access with siri.

Silver Black

Reaction score
That seems odd. Usually the higher the inflation the rougher the ride.
Completely agree that it seems counterintuitive. I tried increasing the tire pressure because it's a zero cost/reversible fix and expected a harsher ride. Instead I achieved a firmer ride and now feel a lot less road vibration inside in the cabin. Definitely an improvement.

Gattington

Reaction score
100% re-iterating the knob shifter. Having it right next to the radio/climate controls versus a tree lever is not my favorite. One of the first things I did in my brand new truck, trying to cut the volume down so I could see the streetsigns better, was slap that ***** right into reverse. Now luckily the truck is smarter than that, and the dash said "Unable to shift while moving" or some such warning, and the light slid right back over to "D" without the transmission so much as downshifting. It happened once, and only once as during the igna-second in which I twisted the wrong knob, I had a brown moment thinking I just pooped the bed on my spanking new transmission.

That said, ~5000 miles in, and I am now well used to the knob shifter. Now instead I crank the volume in the wife's console-shifting car trying to shift into drive. The sudden blare of the stereo and her disapproving look accompanied by "wtf are you doing?" keeps me humble and reminds me to stay situationally aware.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
100% re-iterating the knob shifter. Having it right next to the radio/climate controls versus a tree lever is not my favorite. One of the first things I did in my brand new truck, trying to cut the volume down so I could see the streetsigns better, was slap that ***** right into reverse. Now luckily the truck is smarter than that, and the dash said "Unable to shift while moving" or some such warning, and the light slid right back over to "D" without the transmission so much as downshifting. It happened once, and only once as during the igna-second in which I twisted the wrong knob, I had a brown moment thinking I just pooped the bed on my spanking new transmission.

That said, ~5000 miles in, and I am now well used to the knob shifter. Now instead I crank the volume in the wife's console-shifting car trying to shift into drive. The sudden blare of the stereo and her disapproving look accompanied by "wtf are you doing?" keeps me humble and reminds me to stay situationally aware.
I generally use the controls on the back of the steering wheel to operate the radio. Helps avoid this situation. 2 years in and its habit now to hit those toggle switches.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
The wind buffeting with a window open is insane, my driver door literaly bounces in and out when a rear passenger opens their window.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
The wind buffeting with a window open is insane, my driver door literaly bounces in and out when a rear passenger opens their window.

Sounds like user error. This suggests your claim for changing the brakes yourself is highly questionable

:)

Gattington

Reaction score
I generally use the controls on the back of the steering wheel to operate the radio. Helps avoid this situation. 2 years in and its habit now to hit those toggle switches.

Oh for sure and that is definitely the better way to use pretty much everything. I have better familiarity with the controls now. This was right after I got the truck and was still used to my 2008 Dakota with str8 up crank windows and a 2000s kenwood stereo. My upgrade from a basic ***** work truck, into this luxury supertruck, was quite the leap upwards.

Ruin

Reaction score
I've only had my 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Level 2 package for a week but have been super disappointed that with the additional upgrade package of the "tow kit" it actually downgrades the Level 2 package to no longer have power folding side mirrors.....Even though the dealers website never states manual folding mirrors with this package and only states power folding mirrors. I would much rather have folding mirrors than the tow package as I do not plan to tow anything in the near future. Dealer said the tow package mirror do not offer power folding mirrors. I've read up on this on various other forums and I'm not the only one upset about this.

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
I'm still hurt that FAC wont allow the Big Horn to have keyless entry, but lets the Loredo have it. We all know it can be installed with simple changes but FAC wont allow it.
Hell, my son's decade old Prius has it...

Wsmith

Reaction score
Poor headlights, but that's on me I knew this going in without finding my truck with LED's. #1 is the s*** AC performance. Other than that I am generally am happy with the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread